• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chocolate Hab Grow Log

I know some of yall will think I am really really late. I like to think I am really really early! On the 19th I started sevral seeds in peat pellets I had sitting around the house. I started Trinidad Scorpion, Fatalii, Trinidad Douglah, and Bhut Jolokia. Then on the 21st or 22nd I started Red 7 Pod (Sourced from Cmpman1974) and Bulgarian Carrot in moist coffee filters in bags all on a heating mat in the kitchen. Within 3 days one of the Bulgarian Carrot seeds in the coffee filter buttoned and last night I put it in a plastic drinking cup with 1 part compost, 1 part pine bark fines and 1 part vermiculite. Due to a small accident on my part (they call me grace ya know) the seed may have gotten buried a little deeper than the 1/4 inch recommendation. Lets just pray that it didn't. This morning I noticed one of the Trinidad Douglah's hooked! :dance: I put it under the flo lights in the garage where it ususal is 68-70*. I am hoping when I come home from work today it has emerged all the way. It's gonna be a long day at work. Being impatient and a total noob I gently dug around the pellets to check the progress of the others and most have at least one seed that has buttoned. I should have hooks by at least Tuesday I hope. I will post pics as soon as I get off today. C'mon babies sprout.

002-2.jpg

Ok here is the pic I promised. I know it ain't much to look at but it is the first of my superhots. When I came home to my suprise 2 Bhut Jolokia's have hooked! They are residing next to this one under the lights. Question, at this stage how much roots will they have? I ask because my son mistakenly knocked this one out of my hand and the seedling came out. I didn't see any roots. I am just hoping to get some good growth out of them to overwinter. Can't wait for the others.

Congrats on your first superhots.

I would say that a seedling of that side should have roots with atleast 1 inch lenght.
Have to tell you that if you didn't see any root in it then its not a very goot sign. :shocked:

Hope its all goes well.

Bleash

That temp range will be fine. I have grown seedlings in the garage in the winter where it got down to around 50 at night with no problems, lower than that though may stunt them a bit.

jacob

That temp range will be fine. I have grown seedlings in the garage in the winter where it got down to around 50 at night with no problems, lower than that though may stunt them a bit.

jacob
Thanks jacob. I am glad that temp range will be o.k. I was just hoping they would have more growth overnight. lol I have to keep telling myself "patience grasshopper". As far as the root situation...the young seedling appears to have not changed at all. So I am hopeful the root either have not grown very much or was never very big to begin with and was not affected by the fall out of the peat puck. I also saw this morning another seed growing in the moistened coffee filters button. I forget which one. I will pot that up when I get off of work. Man things are picking up and I am excited.

Good to see you off to a fine start.

The root is the first thing that emerges from the seed and is just a slender thread to start. I hope you didn't amputate all of it. It will probably grow another, but will fall behind the others in growth.

A small setback/possible tragedy. In an effort to not overwater my young seedlings still in the peat pucks I let them go too long without watering. This morning while checking them I saw some shriveled seedlings in some dried up pucks. I immediately did some h2o first aid. There some green still and only the seed leaves were rolled up. I think they will be ok. Anyway almost all of the seeds started have either emerged or hooked except for the Trinidad Scorpions. No sign of them yet. I'll post pics when there is a lil more growth.

Sorry to hear about your seedlings.

Peat pucks killed my seedlings. Correction, my difficulty with balancing water content in the pucks.

I'd rather use regular seed raising medium =)

Here is some pics of my seedlings and "set up". It's not as fancy as some of yall's but hey I'm a noob.
006-2.jpg

The grow light
005-1.jpg

Bulgarian Carrot plastic bag method
003-1.jpg

Fatalii, Trinidad Douglah, Bhut Jolokia

002-3.jpg

004-1.jpg

Please critique. Before these pics I kept my light about 3 inches from the top of the seedlings. I have moved it to within 2 inches max. These seedlings have been in this state for several days. To me something looks not right about them. Kinda puny huh? BTW the T. Douglah was the one that was the victim of the dry soil.

First off congrats on getting your first plants up, it's a great feeling. Image size on here is good, that's the good thing about the new layout all the images automatically resize. It looks like all the seeds are still stuck on your seedlings for the most part. This probably means they weren't planted deep enough. I think that they need some friction when they come up for it to fall off. It should come off by itself so I wouldn't mess with it. I have had some that don't ever come off though and they ended up messed up. Next time you probably just want to plant them slightly deeper maybe.

^^ What roadhouse said, plant the seeds abit deeper next time, and the seedling will pop up without their seed casings
all ready to absorb all the light they need.

^^ What roadhouse said, plant the seeds abit deeper next time, and the seedling will pop up without their seed casings
all ready to absorb all the light they need.
Ok got that. Should I try to take off the seed with tweezers or let nature take its course?

Back