• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

just a question

ok I have this question for some of you
after looking at some hot sauces on the website linked from this forum, I come across some pretty high priced hot sauces.
1st who really buys these ? & since its so fricking hot its not a every meal use thing in huge quanities either. wouldnt a cheaper hot sauce work just as good! :)

& if your a collector & dont eat/use the sauce in the bottles, then what is the point of buying it ? because then all your doing is buying a bottle with a skull on it with some wax metled on it. & for those prices that skull better come alive & give me several BJ's for that price!
& if your looking for a pretty bottle with a skull & some wax melted on it, I would think you can get them cheaper ;)
since I think this is the case for several people in the chilehead comunitiy, they buy it because of the name & a cool looking melted wax bottle w/skull :mouthonfire:

just curious why would you buy a $300 bottle of hot sauce, & then some $900, & then some on ebay going for $1000+ to me thats stupid, its only hot sauce. & then pointing out the fact some dont even eat the stuff.

chilehunter said:
ok I have this question for some of you
after looking at some hot sauces on the website linked from this forum, I come across some pretty high priced hot sauces.
1st who really buys these ? & since its so fricking hot its not a every meal use thing in huge quanities either. wouldnt a cheaper hot sauce work just as good! :)

& if your a collector & dont eat/use the sauce in the bottles, then what is the point of buying it ? because then all your doing is buying a bottle with a skull on it with some wax metled on it. & for those prices that skull better come alive & give me several BJ's for that price!
& if your looking for a pretty bottle with a skull & some wax melted on it, I would think you can get them cheaper ;)
since I think this is the case for several people in the chilehead comunitiy, they buy it because of the name & a cool looking melted wax bottle w/skull :mouthonfire:

just curious why would you buy a $300 bottle of hot sauce, & then some $900, & then some on ebay going for $1000+ to me thats stupid, its only hot sauce. & then pointing out the fact some dont even eat the stuff.

Why do people collect anything? Is Bill Gates "Stupid" for spending $36 million dollars on the Winslow Homer "Lost on the Grand Banks" or $20 million for The Room of Flowers by Childe Hassam (I could go on)? He likes them and can afford it.

Same situation with people who buy these bottles (yes I an a collector as well). It is something I can afford, enjoy, and maybe even sell for a profit later on.

imaguitargod said:
(btw, I've met Bill Gates....not a stupid man....)

That was my point ;)

I know three kinds of chili heads

1. Ones that only buy for consumption
2. One that colect and consume (sometimes buying a ottle to eat and collect if feasible)
3. And the rare one that will only collect (this is a dying breed :rolleyes: )

As with most collectables, it's the rarity of the item that makes it desirable and gives it value. Most of these high priced sauces are numbered, limited editions. That is where their value comes in. I think they are not consumed because most collectors look at them as potential investments ( ebay). If it's opened, the value disappears.

I guess I struck a nerve on some of you :rolleyes:
if you think a bottle of hot sauce is a collectable, then nock your socks off & go for broke.
it has no historical value, & cannot be enjoyed by all walks of life(people), its not a antique, & some other things I cant think of right now that would classify whats a collectable.

these blairs hot sauces are only worth what some other chilehead is willing to pay for them, & anyone else wouldnt pay those prices-since its not TRUELY a collectable- & then people that bought them hold on to them & after years the hot sauce breaks down & its not edible. so what are you left with ? a bottle with a skull & some wax melted on it. unless this is collectable art work ? but I dont think so- kinda cool looking but not true art either.

no offence to you all that collect these bottles, but I really dont see the hype that you guys see, sorry. I just see things for what they are.

I have some limited edition budweiser glasses & a old bottle (limited edition) mtn dew that orange flavor :hell: any takers lets start the bid at $100 ;)

chilehunter said:
I guess I struck a nerve on some of you
if you think a bottle of hot sauce is a collectable, then nock your socks off & go for broke.
it has no historical value, & cannot be enjoyed by all walks of life(people), its not a antique, & some other things I cant think of right now that would classify whats a collectable.

these blairs hot sauces are only worth what some other chilehead is willing to pay for them, & anyone else wouldnt pay those prices-since its not TRUELY a collectable- & then people that bought them hold on to them & after years the hot sauce breaks down & its not edible. so what are you left with ? a bottle with a skull & some wax melted on it. unless this is collectable art work ? but I dont think so- kinda cool looking but not true art either.

no offence to you all that collect these bottles, but I really dont see the hype that you guys see, sorry. I just see things for what they are.

I have some limited edition budweiser glasses & a old bottle (limited edition) mtn dew that orange flavor :) any takers lets start the bid at $100 :)

No nerves struck.... you asked, I answered :P

Now is that mountain dew bottle signed :lol:

Good news: Mountain Dew (like Twinkies) never breaks down and will be consumable even in the event of a nuclear explosion. Nothing left but cockroaches and this here collectable Mountain Dew.

No offence taken! I don't collect them either, I was just trying to 'spain. It took me a while to understand it too.

I do disagree with your definition of what is collectible though. If there is a group of people out there collecting something, then it is by definition a collectible. Not everyone collects say...comic books, but to comic collectors they are very "collectible".

chilehunter said:
& for those prices that skull better come alive & give me several BJ's for that price!

skulls don't have lips...just teeth. :) :lol:

i agree..some of those prices are absurd. however..people will pay them, so they remain. also, those really expensive ones aren't sauces that i know of..just pure extract which requires a LOT of peppers for each little tiny jar. i've never even paid 20 bucks for a bottle of sauce, but i would likely pay a bit over 20 if i really wanted to try a sauce or really liked it. i dont' think i could ever bring myself to pay 100 bucks for a bottle of sauce or extract. i guess the extract would last a long time though considering how little of it you need to use for each meal.

edit..i haven't collected any bottles of hot sauce..have thought about it though. if i did, they would all be empty. :P one of the main reasons i don't collect hot sauce bottles right now is because i collect beer bottles..and i have quite a few. running out of room for them as it is... oh and all the bottles of beer i collect are empty! :) except the ones i am "collecting" to age. but thats a different story all together.

chilehunter said:
I guess I struck a nerve on some of you :)

I have some limited edition budweiser glasses & a old bottle (limited edition) mtn dew that orange flavor :) any takers lets start the bid at $100 :lol:
I think I agree on the point on it not being edible after a while.

As stated above :If there is a group of people out there collecting something, then it is by definition a collectible. Not everyone collects say...comic books, but to comic collectors they are very "collectible".

However it does seem a bit pointless collecting something that will go off soon enough.

Also (conspiricy theory hat on now) What is to stop these manufacturers ripping everyone off?

For example. Someone creates a scolding hot,send you to hospital, sauce/additive, packages it in a damn cool collectable (ruin the packaging if you open it type) packaging/bottle.

Maybe only a few real ones. There are dished out to reviewers, industry people etc who are likely to try the stuff. The rest? Sold to collectors (as no one who would use the stuff would pay that much for something is just heat/sed you to hospital stuff) who are not going to try it.

These ones (the rest) could be produced as duffs. I mean, if it ever was to be opened years and years from now, the manufacturer could just claim its passed it's best before date.

:P

yes I know the ones I'm talking about are extract HOT SAUCES :lol:
& so far the extract hot sauces I've tried dont have that great of a taste, but to each their own.

as for comic books, no I dont collect them, but you know what ? if I had the money to waste away & buy say the #1 issue of superman, I would. why? well 1st you will see a profit over time since its a rare comic book & comic books are inriched in americas heritage, where all walks of life would be willing to buy it.
would you buy a limited edition harley davision ford truck ? hey its limited numbers & it has a nice orange/black paint job w/a harley sticker :P :)
it does the same thing as the other trucks which are cheaper, & come years later people will look at it & say so what! do you think people will pay more for it years down the road ? I highly doubt it.

kinda like other cheaper $25 extract hot sauces will do the same work as blairs $300 - $1000 extract hot sauce.
again comes down to what another chilehead is willing to pay for them, other than that there not worth those prices anywhere else or to anyone else.

chilehunter said:
yes I know the ones I'm talking about are extract HOT SAUCES :lol:
& so far the extract hot sauces I've tried dont have that great of a taste, but to each their own.

as for comic books, no I dont collect them, but you know what ? if I had the money to waste away & buy say the #1 issue of superman, I would. why? well 1st you will see a profit over time since its a rare comic book & comic books are inriched in americas heritage, where all walks of life would be willing to buy it.
would you buy a limited edition harley davision ford truck ? hey its limited numbers & it has a nice orange/black paint job w/a harley sticker :P :)
it does the same thing as the other trucks which are cheaper, & come years later people will look at it & say so what! do you think people will pay more for it years down the road ? I highly doubt it.

kinda like other cheaper $25 extract hot sauces will do the same work as blairs $300 - $1000 extract hot sauce.
again comes down to what another chilehead is willing to pay for them, other than that there not worth those prices anywhere else or to anyone else.

I know what you mean.

I happen to be a collector of comics. I've have a small collection. I don't have anything as great as Superman #1 though lol.
My collection is probably worth about $3000 now. I've had them for over 10 years and probably spent less the $20 in total buying them lol.

Limited editions of mass produced cars are just a sales gimick. If it was a car that they produce as a one off. Like only 200 ever built then fair enough. It's likely to hold value and even increase.

Collecting sauces doesn't make sense to me in that way. I can understand not wanting to damage pretty packaging etc (like blairs etc) I've got blairs 3am and to break up all that wax is a dissapointing thought TBH. However, why buy it unless you want to use it.
Also who would bay 800+ dollars for a sauce that cost $400:shocked: 5 years ago and is now probably bad? Just seems odd is all, nothing else.

But then, if the sauces are going up in value then it makes sense in that sense.

By it now, wait, sell it years later, make a load of profit etc etc. Just like anything else I guess.

The Iron Tongue said:
I know what you mean.

I happen to be a collector of comics. I've have a small collection. I don't have anything as great as Superman #1 though lol.
Superman #1 isn't worth much at all, it's Action Comics #1 that you want. That's the first appearance of Superman.

I've been collecting comics for about 10 years and my collection is worth about $15,000+ dollars. But damned if I can sell them for that much. The floors dropped from the bottom of that market.

chilehunter said:
I guess I struck a nerve on some of you :)

I have some limited edition budweiser glasses & a old bottle (limited edition) mtn dew that orange flavor ;) any takers lets start the bid at $100 :lol:

What is a collectible?? An asset of limited supply that is sought for a variety of reasons including, it is hoped, an increase in value. Stamps, antiques, coins, and works of art are among the many things usually classified as collectibles. Collectibles are often regarded by investors as hedges against inflation, since their value tends to appreciate most when general prices are rising.
Now you say they aren't worth their value to you, and that's just fine. Collectors of hot sauce DO see the value in purchasing a limited edition short run collectible.
I could give two sh*ts about NASCAR, the NHL, the NFL, etc, yet people spend thousands on their collectibles signed by the drivers and players. Same things as comic books, antiques and the like. I don't care to collect them, but is there money it? OH HELL YEAH!!
Eric Nanista, eman on another blog, has a one of a kind, limited edition bottle of Blair's, Blair doesn't even possess one for cryin' out loud, is that bottle worth something? To you, obviously not, to the people on Ebay that bid $7500 for it, obviously.
Collectible is a relative term it all relates to the intended audience.
In July 2000 a T206 Honus Wagner card once owned by Bruce McNall and Wayne Gretzky sold on eBay for a smoking $1.27 million USD. Is that worth? No, it has no tangible value, it's a baseball card.
I'm a former photographer by profession and I appreciate the fine art aspect of photography. On February 14 of 2005 one of three prints of a Edward Steichen photograph sold at Sotheby's for $2.9 million USD. Again, is it worth it? To someone that appreciates that medium and has very deep pockets, yes. To me? Yes, can I afford it? No, but I'd love to have one for it's future worth.
This has always been an interesting conversation to me. Paying hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars for something that you'll never eat, wear, or use otherwise is hard for some people to wrap their head around. It's about ownership of a small part of that's medium's history, plain and simple and the prestige that goes along with it.
Some people think it's dumb, other people see the value in purchase such collectibles for bragging rights or they see the beauty in that particular item.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in my opinion. Considering a bottle of hot sauce "art" again, is subjective and somewhat controversial.
Art is many things to many people. I once went to see a performance artist and he actually took a poop on stage smeared it on himself, rolled around on a canvas and then proceeded to sell it afterwards in the lobby. He got big bucks for something we do everyday and flush away without giving it a second thought.
So, is a collectible hot sauce bottle worth what people are paying for it? To a HOT SAUCE COLLECTOR, YES, to Joe SixPack on the street, NO probably not.
To say it's foolish to spend substantial amounts on any collectible is a a hair splitting expedition that will rage on into eternity.
As long as someone is willing to pay for something and it can be resold to some like minded person for more than you paid, then I say collect away.
Hot sauce isn't the worst thing people can collect, if it brings them joy, then it's their right.
People collect ketchup packets from Wendy's, Tickle Me Elmo's and Elvis' ass hairs, so honestly anything can be considered a collectible as long as there is a market for it.

Honestly, I bet someone out there in EbayLand would be willing to buy the Budweiser glasses from you for more than you paid for them, see my point?
Quick question to you Chilehunter. Is there anything that you would find as a "legitimate" collectible worthy of spending money on and why? I guess answering that would give us a better perspective on what you value as a collectible.
That's my 2 cents. I'm liking this thread. More people should chime in on this one.

Uncle Big said:
Quiet? Reserved? Whatever!:)
Who are you trying to kid?
Don't bullsh*t a bullsh*tter, it never works buddy!:lol:
Unless the bullsh*tter who's receiving the bullsh*t is going along with the bullsh*t in order to profit from the bullsh*tter's bullsh*t. But little does he know that the bullsh*tter who's spouting the bullsh*t knows that the bullsh*tter knows he's spouting bullsh*t and in the end sh*t don't amount to much....I think...

Back