• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

1st try

i had about 2 cups of PC-1 hot peppers that i tossed in to the blender, added about 1/3 cup of vinegar and a few cloves of garlic and blended until smooth. once it was done i put in the refridge and let it set for about 3 weeks before i used it.

for my 1st try it was damn good! it was pretty thick so i added a bit of vinegar and water to thin it out a bit. the stuff burns like hell for about 10 minutes. oddly this sauce to only burn on the way down, i've had tons of other sauces that burned my mouth and lips.
just wondering how many steps i missed? is it "ok/safe" to make it this way if i'm just using for personal use or to give to friends?

after a bit of reading here i read that people boil the sauce for a while.

so far i like making sauce with just peppers and garlic, can anyone point me to some simple recipes?

thanks,

HydroHal said:
i had about 2 cups of PC-1 hot peppers that i tossed in to the blender, added about 1/3 cup of vinegar and a few cloves of garlic and blended until smooth. once it was done i put in the refridge and let it set for about 3 weeks before i used it.

for my 1st try it was damn good! it was pretty thick so i added a bit of vinegar and water to thin it out a bit. the stuff burns like hell for about 10 minutes. oddly this sauce to only burn on the way down, i've had tons of other sauces that burned my mouth and lips.
just wondering how many steps i missed? is it "ok/safe" to make it this way if i'm just using for personal use or to give to friends?

after a bit of reading here i read that people boil the sauce for a while.

so far i like making sauce with just peppers and garlic, can anyone point me to some simple recipes?

thanks,
HH,
Try this one, it's an old standby in the industry. This is a hot pour and makes 1 X 5 oz bottle.
By hot pour, I mean cooking kills bacteria. I usually boil my peppers in distilled water until softened (not soft) to kill bacteria before I start a new batch of sauce.

6 ea. Habanero Peppers
4 ea. Garlic Clove (more if you're a garlic freak like me)
1/4 cup Distilled White Vinegar
1 ea. Plum Tomato
1 Tbs. Sugar (you can omit if you like but Uncle Big likes it sweet)
1/2 tsp. coarse flake Sea Salt
I've seen the same recipe with curry powder, cumin, All Spice, cracked black, etc, whatever your spicy little heart desires.

Seed and blanch peppers.
Stem and seed tomato.
Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth.
Place puree into a microwaveable glass measuring cup and add vinegar to make 5 ounces.
Microwave until mixture starts to steam.
Remove from oven and mix well.
Return to micro and heat again.
Stir mixture and bottle.
Just like that. :)

Uncle Big said:
HH,
Try this one, it's an old standby in the industry. This is a hot pour and makes 1 X 5 oz bottle.
By hot pour, I mean cooking kills bacteria. I usually boil my peppers in distilled water until softened (not soft) to kill bacteria before I start a new batch of sauce.

6 ea. Habanero Peppers
4 ea. Garlic Clove (more if you're a garlic freak like me)
1/4 cup Distilled White Vinegar
1 ea. Plum Tomato
1 Tbs. Sugar (you can omit if you like but Uncle Big likes it sweet)
1/2 tsp. coarse flake Sea Salt
I've seen the same recipe with curry powder, cumin, All Spice, cracked black, etc, whatever your spicy little heart desires.

Seed and blanch peppers.
Stem and seed tomato.
Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth.
Place puree into a microwaveable glass measuring cup and add vinegar to make 5 ounces.
Microwave until mixture starts to steam.
Remove from oven and mix well.
Return to micro and heat again.
Stir mixture and bottle.
Just like that. :)

That recipe sounds like a winner.

well since I get the impression we cant link to other sites on this forum.
I will just say go to " pepperfool.com " & click on recipes then scroll down on the left side to " hot sauces " there you will find alot of recipes for hot sauces.

BigDawg said:
Good standby recipe Big, cant believe you didn't give up one of yours...Hydro just be careful adding water you don't want to much.

My recipes are going with me to the grave Dawg! :lol:
Speaking of recipes, lovin' the Burn UR Face Off. Hot stuff buddy. You did good. Care to share the secrets of that recipe?? :mouthonfire:
Are you ready for the show? Wish I was going, but oh well, maybe next year.

Uncle Big said:
My recipes are going with me to the grave Dawg! :mouthonfire:
Speaking of recipes, lovin' the Burn UR Face Off. Hot stuff buddy. You did good. Care to share the secrets of that recipe?? :hell:
Are you ready for the show? Wish I was going, but oh well, maybe next year.

Thanks Big...I guess our graves will have to be next to each other before we share recipes...:lol:

Burn Ur Face Off! was one of the hardest recipes to get down...as you know when you want to keep the flavor and increase the heat there is a fine line.

Been real busy in the kitchen getting ready for the show...but really excited being our 2nd year there we know what to expect and have a few new products that really make it exciting, plus the added bonus of meeting a lot of the people we have met on here. Can't wait!! You need to go next year...maybe ZestFest in Fort Worth also.

Nice pic in Chile Pepper! Thought you would have at least sewn the Big Dawg patch on your shirt for the pic....:onfire:

BigDawg said:
Thanks Big...I guess our graves will have to be next to each other before we share recipes...:lol:

Burn Ur Face Off! was one of the hardest recipes to get down...as you know when you want to keep the flavor and increase the heat there is a fine line.

Been real busy in the kitchen getting ready for the show...but really excited being our 2nd year there we know what to expect and have a few new products that really make it exciting, plus the added bonus of meeting a lot of the people we have met on here. Can't wait!! You need to go next year...maybe ZestFest in Fort Worth also.

Nice pic in Chile Pepper! Thought you would have at least sewn the Big Dawg patch on your shirt for the pic....:hell:

Dawg,
Fort Worth and New Mexico? That would be awesome wouldn't it? :mouthonfire:
Thanks about the pic. That was taken back in December so no Big Dawg care package back then. Next time buddy, next time!! :onfire:

Back