Greetings from Sydney!

hello fellow hotheads!

I have been eating chillies (Aussie sp.) for about 20 years, an obsession which began with a spicy Mexican pizza which burned the **** out of me.

I have grown many seasons of habs, birdseyes, jalapenoes. I've made my own hab powder in the oven and it was like a pepper spray bomb going off in the house - we had to evacuate for several hours due to the gaseous effect. I make my own sauces and hot jerky. I take sauce/powder/flakes/pods with me whenever I go out for a meal. I am the 'hot sauce' dude at work. I am known as 'Chilliman' to many friends, but I do feel a little dwarfed by some of the more experienced members on this site.

my abdominal pains, profuse sweating, bloodshot eyes, and high toilet paper usage have been like a rite of passage (no pun intended)for me so much so that I feel I truly belong here at THP. already I have read with much interest about the Naga/Bih/Bhut/Dorset Jolokia (did I leave any variations out?) and can't wait to get my hands on some of these pods/seeds.

the Australian chilli scene is a little less prominent than what it appears to be in the USA so our options are usually to buy over the 'net which can mean quite high shipping costs, many suppliers using only Fedex or UPS which increases the cost to a ridiculous level. if any Aus-based site members read this please respond in the forum or via pm as it would be great to have a buddy list of like-minded enthusiasts.

I hope I can make a worthwhile contribution to this site and make some friends in the process!

Mark
card-carrying chilehead #2121

Hey mate, im a fellow Aussie chilli head.

Just so you know i have sourced seeds from all over the world, so i can grow them out, and i am also looking to go into business as well. So keep an eye out for me. :onfire:

Anyways WELCOME. :mouthonfire: :lol:

xgrafcorex said:
welcome from the other side of the globe! pretty funny story about the oven there.

gday xgf. it's totally true. although oven roasting gives a crispier, roastier flavour I found it to be a dangerous exercise indoors. the dehydrator is much safer. I've had a number of chili handling mishaps, not all of them related to eating and fortunately none too serious.

chilliman64 said:
gday xgf. it's totally true. although oven roasting gives a crispier, roastier flavour I found it to be a dangerous exercise indoors. the dehydrator is much safer. I've had a number of chili handling mishaps, not all of them related to eating and fortunately none too serious.

Last Summer, I dried around 50 pounds of home grown habs in the oven, day after day, after day. Everything in our house including our clothes, dogs and even my fish smelled of habs. I then was working on a proto-type sauce with habs and decided to boil the sauce down to intensify the flavor. We ended up evacuating the house due to the pepper spray effect.

Bottom Line:

"If you drink, don't make sauce. If you make sauce, don't drink".

nice one Blue's :) I wonder if hab scented clothing will catch on... the gas effect is very powerful, no doubt about it. I sometimes have my breath taken away rinsing my dishes after eating hab-laced meals when running cold water on them.

Welcome Chilliman!

I hope you stick around...I'd like to know more about the hot scene in a land down under.

Do women really glow and men thunder there?

I don't know about glowing women and thundering men, I think it's more like "women blow and men chunder"

I intend sticking around chuk as I am an obsessive chili freak. I've got to get used to spelling it 'chili', right? in Oz we spell it 'chilli' and the plural is 'chillies'

Spell it how ever you want. We're not big on grammar around here.

Generally though it's "chile" if you are talking about the pods we all hold so dear and "chili" is a bowl of spicy meat stew.

Back