• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I think im in love...with fatali!

Ok so today i picked my first half ripe pod(i couldnt contain myself any longer) It was a 3.5 inch fatali. I had never had one so while i was sitting in the garden(picking grass) i pulled the stem and popped it down the hatch. It had a very sweet, almost fruity flavor that lingered for a while, even after the burn went away. I have to say I loved the burn. absolutly perfect. it wasnt sp intense i wanted to rip my tongue out but it wasnt mild enough to disappoint me. I think the fruity sweet taste and the long lasting burn has me sold. i will note mine see to look more knarley than your typical fatali.(at first i thought i might have had them labeled wrong) but once i seen yellow i knew.

Anyway, sorry to babble, but it was the first time i had one, and I loved it beyond my beliefs. I think i am going to make a pineapple glaze for a ham with it. mmmm

Any one else just love to pop these?

I **LOVE** fataliis. Probably my favorite all-around pepper. We use them in all sorts of interesting ways here, but really focus on using them in deserts - fatalii caramels, fatalii chocolate chip cookies, fatalii fudge, etc. I also really like fataliis in Jamaican Jerk seasoning as a replacement for scotch bonnets. I would never pop one, though. Way, WAY too hot for me. They have a remarkable flavor that's different than other chinenses and chinense-types.

....and might I add, my avatar is of a fatalii from last season

I personally havent had one, but am eager to. I have had some fatalii jellies before and they were rather good. Are yours red or yellow or chocolate...? They sound delicious fresh.

I personally havent had one, but am eager to. I have had some fatalii jellies before and they were rather good. Are yours red or yellow or chocolate...? They sound delicious fresh.

the yellow i assume, unless they turn red after the turn yellow. because the one i ate today was bright yellow on top but the tip was still green(about 1/2 ripe id assume. Either way, Defiantly on my top 5.

first being

Lemon drop-simply for its amazing flavor.

second fatali- mainly because of the unique heat it had along with a great flavor.

third- serrano- just because they are awesom with cream cheese and bacon...

4th- scotch bonnet- because i love jerk chicken wings

5th- thai hot, because i like making "garlic chili sauce" for chinese/Thai and japanese foods...like orange chicken and such.

I like the Fatalii too , great peppers. From last year mine were called "Yellow" but leaned more towards orange. I think that's the case with a lot of peppers. If you get a lot of Fatatlii peppers and want a great sauce check out "Fruity Fatalii Fire". I made my version and love it !!

Peace,
P. Dreadie

glad you liked it! i haven't had one yet but my plant has about 10 full sized pods that i'm waiting impatiently to ripen, can't wait!

"Fruity Fatalii Fire" sounds awsome, think i will try to make that

In my opinion the only real fatalii is the yellow which is an African heirloom variety. Fatalii has been one of my favorites for 5 or 6 years now, and was a runaway favorite here on this THP poll
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/6774-superhot-flavor/

Didnt know the reputation of the fatalii. My plants are still seedlings just setting their first set of true leaves. If/when someone has a fresh pod to spare let me know and we can work something up. Im super curious now.

I'm still waiting to see what my plant can produce. I'll just say, recently my Fatalii suffered a fatal disaster and I'm waiting for it to grow more buds, since it lost every single one that it once had. Main stem snapped.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. In a few weeks I will have some extras if youd like to add a baby to the batch. I know its late for ohio, but it could be wintered if necessary.

I **LOVE** fataliis. Probably my favorite all-around pepper. We use them in all sorts of interesting ways here, but really focus on using them in deserts - fatalii caramels, fatalii chocolate chip cookies, fatalii fudge, etc. I also really like fataliis in Jamaican Jerk seasoning as a replacement for scotch bonnets. I would never pop one, though. Way, WAY too hot for me. They have a remarkable flavor that's different than other chinenses and chinense-types.

....and might I add, my avatar is of a fatalii from last season

Do you dry the pods first and grind them for adding to caramels, fudge and cookies?

See I personally dont find them overwhelmingly hot... Their burn is so unique it doesnt really get to me. so far i had one that was mostly ripe(the very tip was still a tad green) and one that was solid greed. both had awesome flavor, and that same unique burn. it really only burns my tongue. Unlike other habs its a lasting burn that reached it peak in like 2 min then held for about 10 min. started to let up at 12 or 13 min and then left a really good taste in my mouth after wards. Next year i think i will focus on fatali, scotch bonnets, lemon drops and a few others. not 100 some mixed and matched plants.

I am really excited to make some sauces out of these though. should be really nice. and JSKaiser- if you dont get pods soon i could send you a couple to try out. just dont trust the seeds as i have them next to my bhuts, and scotch bonnets. I may plant a few just to see the outcome.

Do you dry the pods first and grind them for adding to caramels, fudge and cookies?

No, not at all. We just dice the fataliis and throw them into the mix. In caramels, they melt into the mix and you don't even see them (you definitely taste them, though). In cookies, the end product is a cookie with little yellow flake - it's kind of cool.

I do, though, do a lot of pod drying in a dehydrator and grinding, to add to other food dishes. But with the chinense deserts, I prefer them freshly diced right off the plant.

Back