• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Anyone make their own rub/powder?

I'm not talking commercial stuff. anyone make their own and want to share their family recipe? hot is good but so is tasty. maybe something to add to a beef jerky mix. mmmmmmm....jerky....

these are not my recipes but I have used them with real good results. They come from BBQ USA cookbook.

Cold Mountain Rub

1/2 cup coarse salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup coarse ground black pepper
1/2 cup sweet paprika

if ya wanna turn up the heat replace the paprika with hot paprika or your favorite chile pepper.

K.C. Pepper Rub

1/2 cup sweet paprika
1/3 cup onion salt
1/4 cup black pepper
3 tbsp dry mustard
3 tbsp favorite chile powder
3 tbsp celery seed

Mustard Herb Rub

2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp dry mustard
1 tbsp coarse salt
1 tbsp dried dill
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
1/2 tsp onion powder

BBQ University Rub

2 tbsp ground coiander
2 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tbsp coarse salt
4 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

I make my own mixtures all the time. I don't have any recipes, it's whatever I'm in the mood for. Have lots of dry spices.

I've made a very basic mix of 1 part hab powder to 1 part onion salt! very nice on anything with meat in it, or tomatoes, or potatoes... it's very nice on everything!

i just kinda make them up as i go... but ill give you a list of ingredients, this one i used on venison:
onion powder
garlic powder
meat tenderizer (only if on venison)
paprika
oregano
thyme
rosemary
chili powder
cayenne powder (or any other hot powder)
white pepper
black pepper
dried lemon peel/zest
coarse sea salt
i dont ever measure i just mix it together until im happy with it
also if you add 1/2cup olive oil, 1/2 cup lemon juice, four cloves of crushed garlic & 5 chopped hot peppers of your choice to this dry rub it becomes a bitchin marinade

Jerky was mentioned.

I marinate in:
Soy sauce
garlic powder
onion powder
pepper powder
and tons of black pepper

It is always great. The amounts aren't that important.

CM my basic spice is equal parts orange habanero, orange thai, and tabasco...

I use this as a rub on most of what I BBQ...

I don't add any salt, black pepper, garlic or other things until I start the Q up...

I managed to get myself copies of Steve Raichlen's books "Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs" and "Barbecue Bible Sauces Rubs and Marinades" both are excellent and will be getting plenty of use now that spring is here

thanks to all for posting recipes, I will try as many as I can

Here is an idea I have been working on like an all purpose or dry rub mix.

Lucky Dogs Belly Rub

paprika
kosher salt, finely ground
sugar
mustard powder
**ground pepper of choice** I've been working with Naga/Fatelli mix may try lemon drop/Datil or just brown hab or... you get the point
chili powder
ground cumin
ground black pepper
granulated garlic
cayenne

Sounds great, have to dehydrate some paprika to try that first, but it sure sounds like an (nearly) all purpose powder!

LD...that recipe sounds delicious....

have you tried making your own chili powder yet?...really simple...a Anaheim, Pasilla Bajio, and Cascabel combination is a real good place to start...some people use De Arbols too...but they have a lot more heat than the others...the others flavor combination works well...

Its something I have been working on and tweeking

I have the Anaheims I was going to make a Colorado powder if I dont eat them first -- What were supposed to be Alma Paprika this year turned out to be Cubanells - next year I'll try again with those. Im smoking some Jalapenos this weekend Im not sure how Brown Habs, Fatelli, Lemon Drops, Bhuts or Nagas would fair but I know Jalapenos will be on

I found this combination last summer ('07) from searching the net on home made chili powder...these three were a common ingredient in about 80% of the recipes...so I got the seeds and am growing these this year...all are doing well and the Pasillas are full of long green pods...5 plants probably 300 peppers...5 anaheims are producing well and have probably 100 peppers on them...only one of my cascabels made it but it has probably 80-100 on it....

I have been using "store bought" dried peppers until this year and now I can really make mine Home Made

I'll have to remember and look at the Parcel for this mix for next year AJ it seems like it would be pretty universal -- I try to do the same I use so many rubs that soon I realize the spice combinations are very similar -- and take what I like and what I think would be best all around. If I dont like it then start over but I do little batches in Tbs and tsp's before I get in to cups 1/2 cups and so on.

Back