• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

JayT haz Spicy Crab Balls

I decided to practice up a little on my seafood for the upcoming throwdown with some grilled lobster with Tarragon butter, and some crab stuffed shrimp with garlic butter sauce. They will appear later, but the stuffed shrimp left me with a dilemma. What to do with the rest of the lb of lump crab meat? Spicy Crab Balls!

100_7260.jpg

Ingredients:

Rest of lb of lump crab meat (probably around 2/3 lb
1/4 cup mayo
2 Tbs dijon or Creole mustard
four eggs beaten
two jalapenos chopped
1/2 loaf of bread crust removed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Old Bay seasoning, hot sauce of choice, and pepper powder(s) to taste

Mix should look like this:

100_7261.jpg

Mix by hand or fold together with a spoon. Careful not break up the crab meat too much. You want the texture to be rough, but hold together. Form into balls about 1 1/2 to 2in in diameter. Deep fry at 375F for three to four minutes. Don't crowd the pan or deep fryer. drain on paper towels and mix up spicy mayo. I just mixed up a cup of mayo with a tablespoon or so of Srirachi.

100_7262.jpg

Thanks guys and Laz they are kind of like a cross between a crabcake and a Canagle (sp?) which is deep fried bread with peppers.

I'd hit that! I'd used bread crums instead of chucks but why not. I'd like to see the shrimp you stuffed, must have been prawns. Crab stuffed mushrooms also rock. Store bought peppers, where is the other douglah and brain?

Man you are tough PRF. I can't use the Brain and the Douglah in these as I am sharing them. The shrimp are U-10s guess they are called prawns. As for the bread crumbs, I used panko while making the filling for the shrimp, but for the balls the cubed bread gives them a much better texture.

I skipped the foo foo with the green onions all over the place. Just give me a paper plate full of crab balls and a bowl of spicy mayo and I am happy. I'll bring the foo tonight... I left a teaser for you in TDC.

I skipped the foo foo with the green onions all over the place. Just give me a paper plate full of crab balls and a bowl of spicy mayo and I am happy. I'll bring the foo tonight... I left a teaser for you in TDC.

Bah! As Ralph Cramden would say..."I'm watchin' you Norton!"

I hope you've got more planned for today then a couple of salmon cakes. You're gonna have to do better than that. :cool:

I hope you've got more planned for today then a couple of salmon cakes. You're gonna have to do better than that. :cool:

mrs. blues wants country style ribbage but doesn't want any smoke on 'em. I was hoping for the UDS treatment but alas...no. I'll get creative though and will be bringing something. And something seafood too!!

Back