• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Drying seeds

ok how do you guys dry the seeds from the peppers you grew, so you can use them next year for growing a new plant ?
I dried my peppers in a dehydrator, then cut open the chile to get the seeds & put them in a container.
well I only got 1 seed to grow from those seeds(out of about 100 ?) granted my other seeds grew but those were packaged seeds which were bought.

so whats a correct method of drying seeds for future use ?

1. Make sure you get a very ripe pod.
2. Cut it open and bung the seeds onto some kitchen paper.
3. Put another sheet on top of them and place on top of your computer monitor.
4. Leave for about a week, then put in one of those sealing plastic bags.
5. Seeds good for at least a year, store in a dark, cool, dry place.
cheers

Shonen

From a ripe pepper I usually just scoop the seeds onto a paper plate and leave in the sun or on top of the fridge for a couple days until dry. Pack in ziplocks after that.

I pick the best ripe pods and seed asap onto a paper towel....cover with another paper towel.
Place on top of freg. for a few days...then into freezer tight ziplocks...and into tight clean jars and into freg. By keeping the seeds dry and away from light...they can last up to 5 years (though I only use fresh seed for that years planting.)

Primo

P.S. The temp. of the dehydrator is probably killin your seed.

WTF is a freg?

Ive dried a load of numex twilights and ground them up in a pestle and mortar.... the seeds look whole to me. Reckon they're still good?

Shooty* said:
WTF is a freg?

Ive dried a load of numex twilights and ground them up in a pestle and mortar.... the seeds look whole to me. Reckon they're still good?

Freg.. Just slang for refrigerator. ha Probably still good as long as you didn't use too high a temp. in the deydrator. In fact, the pestle may have scarified the seeds some...helping germ time. :hell:

Rock on,

Primo

I think he means refregerator - a multi purpose device which is repeatedly (re) used for creating a cool environment (freg) and also acts as an aerater (erator). either that or it was just a spelling mistake.

Mark

I have dried them both ways and a dehydrator cooKs 85-90% of the seeds. I agree with the rest of the posts to use ripen pods and take seeds out put on paper plate or towels ,put in a warm spot for few days to weeks then put in small paper envolpes. I have had the seeds get some mold in zip lock or plastic ones.
Dan
LET IT BURN

I simply split open a few pods, scrape out the seeds and membrane, leave in a small bowl or saucer on a window ledge for about a week, maybe 10 days giving them a move around every few days. when the placental tissue is shrivelled up and a bit crusty then just wrap them in foil and place in a zip lock bag, all ready for next year!

I've done a bunch of freg giggin. Friggen fried freg legs are great!

Well done, Blue, you've made your own tongue twister. It even took me several attempts to READ it properly.

Thanks for the comments, primo.

Darlo: We call then fridges. Or "accursed new fangled westinghouse freezing boxes"

Back