• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

300 gallon aquaponics system

ok guys back again doing it big 1 more time... well the tank is 300gallon and the grow bed is 4x8x 14deep, i am sure i will be adding another grow bed same size and maybe a blue 55gallon drum cut in half which i do have already.. but first we will see how everything goes... its a bit taller than i wanted but i will work with it for now.. i might need a step ladder.. ha ha will be back with more pics...

IMG00614-20100801-1548.jpg

IMG00615-20100801-1549.jpg

Awesome. If I had a backyard I would certainly want to build a set up like this as well. What kind of fish are you considering?

That looks really cool, good size fish tank underneath, now for all the questions :D

Are you going to use a pond liner in the grow bed?
Are you doing a flood and drain system?
If it's flood and drain are you worried about temp fluctuations in the fish tank?

Looking forward to seeing your work I love aquaponics :)

wow the local fair has a setup and it was pathetic in comparison with a few pidly gold fish!! Can't wait to see how it's really done.

That looks really cool, good size fish tank underneath, now for all the questions :D

Are you going to use a pond liner in the grow bed?
Are you doing a flood and drain system?
If it's flood and drain are you worried about temp fluctuations in the fish tank?

Looking forward to seeing your work I love aquaponics :)

What will you fill it with, clay? Looks really cool, please take lots of pictures.

yes i will be using pond liner... well i ordered a bell syphons from ebay ... so it will run 24/7 thats the plan for now... well man it does get real hot here .. but there is not a whole lot i can do about the temps .. but the grow bed will be over the top of the fish tank so i hope that will help with the heat... yeah man for sure i love aqua also.. as far as fish goes catfish and Tilapia is what i want... the goal is tilapia so i can breed them they grow fast and that is what i need .. but i might start with catfish and work my way up and if all goes well then i will set up a small system for fingerling fish .. so i can harvest fish sooner... i will use clay rocks .. ok i will take as many pics as i can...

yes i will be using pond liner... well i ordered a bell syphons from ebay ... so it will run 24/7 thats the plan for now... well man it does get real hot here .. but there is not a whole lot i can do about the temps .. but the grow bed will be over the top of the fish tank so i hope that will help with the heat... yeah man for sure i love aqua also.. as far as fish goes catfish and Tilapia is what i want... the goal is tilapia so i can breed them they grow fast and that is what i need .. but i might start with catfish and work my way up and if all goes well then i will set up a small system for fingerling fish .. so i can harvest fish sooner... i will use clay rocks .. ok i will take as many pics as i can...

Cool, I'm considering auto siphons in the system I'm currently building. I wish I could do Talapia in my area, they are classed as a pest here.

Don't forget to wash your clay first ;) I'm doing some of my beds in clay the rest will be gravel.

not that's a cool setup...what's planned to be planted in the bed?...

well man right now i want peppers, tomato, anything leafy ,cucumber , thats the plan for now it kinda late in the season... but i will see .. maybe cabbage or broc....

well i think i have everything i need to do the plumbing... i got a 800gph pump today and 20 bags of grow rock @ 35.00 each and only $20 bucks to Delivery the rocks so like $780.00 just on rocks .. so this better be worth it ha ha .. will be back with more pics when i start working on it... maybe this weekend i will begin ...

IMG00617-20100805-1517.jpg

ok i just got my bell syphon and this is what i got from EBAY ... it is looks good .. here is 2 pics for you guys... now i need like a 1 5/8 hole saw...

IMG00619-20100805-1652.jpg

IMG00620-20100805-1652.jpg

ok guys sorry no pics yet.. but i have all the rocks in and i made my first real fill and drain everthing is working great right now.. i had to redo a few things but no big deal.. so i am goting to plant a few things not sure when but very soon.. i will be making youtube video.. you guys might like it better than just pics... i can talk about stuff better.. it takes right at 20min. to fill maybe 10min to drain ... very cool stuff .....

Looking good redeyes.

i just put in some green onion seeds and swiss chard, lettuce and a few other things so we will see what is going to happen soon ... as a side note i have been thinking of make little greeen house for the grow bed so when it gets cold out i can still do stuff.. then i can take off in the summer

here is a pic of my peppers i grew indoor with my aquaponic system .. i pulled this off today.. and going to be doing more very soon some are not the very big but i ate a med size one today also and it still had some heat for sure made my head sweat....

IMG00628-20100810-1852.jpg

well i am think i am going to shut down the small 10gallon indoor system .. i am going to transplant the pepper plants into the new outdoor system ... will this speed up the new system ??? should i dump the water out?? or should i add it in the big tank???? i will also be adding the gold fish right in the new tank also

well i am think i am going to shut down the small 10gallon indoor system .. i am going to transplant the pepper plants into the new outdoor system ... will this speed up the new system ??? should i dump the water out?? or should i add it in the big tank???? i will also be adding the gold fish right in the new tank also

I'd add the water to the bigger tank.

well i dumped in most of the water and the fish have made it so far .. i transplanted the pepper plants and so far they are looking good.... i just want to make sure they will live.. i had to leave them in the buckets the roots are coming out of the bottom and i did not want to miss with it so i put it all in there

IMG00629-20100814-1759.jpg

IMG00631-20100814-1800.jpg

IMG00630-20100814-1759.jpg

Back