• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Brick Lane Curry House - Phaal Challenge

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Brick Lane Curry House
306-308, East 6th St.
New York, NY 10003
(212) 979-8787
(212) 979-2900
www.bricklanecurryhouse.com

If you're looking for something to do in NYC, check out Brick Lane Curry House's Phaal Challenge.

You can't find Phaal (or Phall) in too many places in the US, it's a UK Indian dish.

The Challenge is, finish the Phaal, get a free beer, a certificate, and your pic on the website (the P'Hall of Fame). Cool. I'm down. So I head to the Curry House, and order Lamb Phaal. The stuff is really good. Just look at the pic. A bright red/orange curry of ground chilies. Lots of nice flavors, and a small burn, but no intense heat here. Not even a tear. Hey, but I'm not disappointed. Instead of taking it as a serious challenge, I just considered it a damn good meal, and one that would satisfy a chilihead. The burn was quite nice, the flavors were great, the lamb was tender... can't complain.

Now, the hardest part was finishing it. They give really good portions, and I put it all on a huge pile of rice. Man, you ever see those scenes where someone has to eat a 100 ounce steak, and how slow the fork moves to the mouth near the end. LOL. The last six bites probably took 15 minutes, and it was only rice and sauce. I'm sure they thought it was the heat, but it was the amount of rice! One waiter walked up to me and said "You put too much rice" and he smiled. Yup! I did.

The staff is really friendly, they kept stopping by asking "How's the Phaal Challenge?"

When I told the waitress it was delicious she looked shocked and said she can't even handle one bite.

Well I can handle it. I have the certificate to prove it!

Sorry 'bout the open mouth pic, but is shows my last bite. :P

Somehow I was able to finish that winning beer.

I applaud Brick Lane Curry House for having the Phaal Challenge on their menu. We need more stuff like this in the chilihead community.

This review is not to say the Phaal is not hot, for the general public it probably is!

Attachments

• Phall_Challenge.jpg
    Phall_Challenge.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 269
Captain Murphy said:
Very cool. What was the 'winning beer' by the way?
It's your choice, including those large bottles of Indian beer. I went for a Kingfisher, which is an Indian Lager, brewed in NY state. Didn't want anything heavy lol.

origamiRN said:
Thank you for the heads up!
I love Indian food, and will have to go there next time I'm in NY!
It's fun. Just don't go expecting face-melting heat. Go for the fun of it, the looks from the staff, the free beer, and the certificate. You'll walk out a victor and feeling good ;). It's memorable, and good eats.

I'd go again, and use less rice on my plate.

Any THP'ers down lemme know!

Is that the place where Man vs Food went to for the Phall -- he looked like he was going to melt -- You Phall Curry Monster you

i do like a phall, the sauce in yous looks a lot redder and a lot more liquid than i normally have and i've never had it with lemongrass in it,
the ones i have do make my nose run and my eyes water which makes the waiters not beleive that you are enjoying it, they soon beleive you when you order it the next time and ask them to put some naga in it.
i'd say the main indian dishes i eat are phall, vindaloo and naga dishes

Got my Phaal Monster Certificate the other day. Got the chicken. Not as tasty as i was expecting but heat was about what i expected reading boss man's review. There was some burnt flavor in there, their other curries that other people in my party ordered taste much better.

It was hot enough for me to break a sweat but not hotter than most of the meals i cook. My biggest challenge was also being very full by the last quarter.

All in all a fun time and definitely recommend doing it once. But i wouldn't order it again if i was looking for a tasty meal.

I had the Guiness.
phaal.JPG

Congrats! Yeah you get full near the end, that's more of a challenge than the heat lol. I thought it was tastier than you I guess.

that looks interesting too bad i live in canada. well if i ever find myself in nyc i'll know what to look for. oh and how much dose the phall cost?.

kinda steep but it is lamb.. and it is a dare food. if you could compare the heat of the phaal and a sauce/chili where would the phaal fall?.

N_FF said:
kinda steep but it is lamb.. and it is a dare food. if you could compare the heat of the phaal and a sauce/chili where would the phaal fall?.
I don't know, I mean I seriously didn't tear or sweat, or even sniffle. I get spicier at my favorite Thai joint when I tell them extra spicy. I teared up over their basil chicken loaded with fresh green Thai chilies. That was good eatin'. And that's like $9! ;)

thehotpepper.com said:
Congrats! Yeah you get full near the end, that's more of a challenge than the heat lol. I thought it was tastier than you I guess.

Maybe the lambs better or maybe the chef just burned mine a little and figured i wouldn't be able to taste the difference. Hmmm... Maybe i'll try the lamb one next time. lol

thehotpepper.com said:
I don't know, I mean I seriously didn't tear or sweat, or even sniffle. I get spicier at my favorite Thai joint when I tell them extra spicy. I teared up over their basil chicken loaded with fresh green Thai chilies. That was good eatin'. And that's like $9! ;)

Where is this magical Thai place you speak of?

i wish there was a way of tasting these inter continental dishes just so that we could all be reading of the same sheet!!!

i know it's not a big man contest but i like to know where i am on the chilli rush scale compared to others, the rush is the best part of any hot food it's like a free high, AND NOTHING IS BETTER THAN SOMETHING THAT IS FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back