• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Things I've learned this year.

Got to thinking about changes I'm going make next year and figured I'd add to my post count and share them. If anyone else has any lessons learned please feel free to share them.

1. Pot size. For me it's going to be 7 gallon minimum. I have some plants that are not living up to their potential because their roots have run out of room. It's going to take some time to change them all out but I won't be buying anything under 7 gallons.

2. Fertilizer. Wait longer before changing over to a phosphorous heavy fert. By jumping the gun I'm not allowing the plant to grow as large as it should. I always get excited when I start seeing buds develop and I usually end up with plants under 3ft tall.

3. Organic vs man made: I've tried to stay as organic as I can but this year I crossed the line when it came to pest control. I've been fighting aphids for years and have used the neem oils, safer soaps, and every other thing my local retailer sells. They will kill what they come in contact with but that's about it. No staying power. This year when the aphids showed up I went chemical on their butts. I used ORTHO Max Lawn & Garden Insect Killer. It's a concentrated liquid. I sprayed the plants down one time in the middle of June. I haven't seen an aphid since.

That's it from me for now. Like I said earlier if you have anything to add to this thread please do. Thanks

I've learned that one should not snort extract sauce...

Now, I pride myself with my common sense so I'll start by explaining that this wasn't something that I TRIED to do. I should also correct myself and restate that I learned why one should not snort extract sauce.

I was eating a delicious juicy burger with my dog, Bella, at my feet. She was looking at my burger longingly as I took a bite that was drizzle with Colon Blow. At this point Bella realized that I meant to eat the burger and that she would not. So, she figured that my foot would be a suitable substitution. The moment her tongue snaked between my toes I started to full on belly laugh which expelled hot sauce through my nose.

Hot sauce + sinuses = FAIL! It felt like the back of my eyeballs were on fire. My face was in hell for over an hour. Now, I've heard of people doing this on a dare. I don't think there is any amount of money that would convince me to do this again on purpose.

I have so much to improve on for next year, but I will keep it brief.

1. Start seed germination in January or February and start them indoors under the lights.
2. Never use Miracle Grow soils again. Search for Promix or learn how to make my own soil the right way like so many of the veterans here.
3. Use the greenhouse for as long as possible because it may take till July here in WA to start warming up. The cold nights have stunted the pods and plants this year.
4. Don't overfertilize, leave them alone, let them grow!
5. Don't allow the plants to be overwatered (probably the biggest challenge here in WA).
6. Start a worm farm, use the castings, make tea. Quit talking about it and just do it.

My changes this year will be to increase my pot size 5 gallons are good, but I also have some plants that have roots coming out the bottom and could continue to grow and produce had the pot size been bigger.

I also need to start my seeds earlier in the year. I waited until feb and did ok, but because of the horrible cold weather here in cali my plants are just starting to produce now. The only advantage is I have a much longer grow season so I should be ok.

What I did this year my 2nd year that seems to have made a huge difference is:

Foiler feed - Scientific proof has shown plants intake ferts via foiler feeding within hours and 80% as much over soil feeding.

My worm farm is thriving and the addition of worm castings in the soil and foiler feeding the plants with worm tea has made a big difference in plant quality.

Planting up the plants sooner than later seems to have allowed them to continue to grow none stop. Last year I waited until the roots started to come out the bottom, but I think that was too late.

Things I learned this year...use promix or homemade potting mix with composted manure mixed in. The plants in MG/Sta-Green are all tiny, stunted, have small, skinny, cupping, light green/yellowish leaves and only a few small pods. The plants in promix + composted manure are big, green healthy bushes loaded with pods.

very good idea for a thread.

Mine: -
1. Seedling pest control - use a diluted amount of pesticide, you dont want to choke them lil' things to death.
2. Pots - 30 isnt enough.
3. Cold stratification - storing seeds in the fridge before germinating them increases germ chances and time. Before this i was storing them in a cupboard somewhere, and in the tropical country as Malaysia thats not really good.
4. Pest control, pest control, pest control. Losing one plant means many others will follow: identify, contain and exterminate before it gets out of control.

That's all i got currently. Im still a newbie grower and still have tonnes to learn.

Keep it coming, all. This thread is a gem :)

I learned a few things:

1. Grow even less chinenses. They grow so well for me but I can never keep up with processing them and they don't sell in quantity for me
2. Poblanos never grow very well for me no matter what variety, so no more growing them.
3. Numex sunrise, sunset, and pinata always do terrible, so no more growing them.
4. Get more compost, vermicompost, and/or manure put aside for the spring instead of waiting until the ground thaws
5. Overwintering requires more heat and light than my crawlspace provided in 2009/2010
6. My greenhouses ideally need roll up sides or better free ventilation

I've learnt that 2 foot spacing is not enough. I've previously only grown nursery bought seedlings and it was always enough but the plants I grew myself from seed grew much, much larger and picking pods without damaging plants was damn near impossible. I also think it slowed production and ripening on the plants tucked away in the corner of the jungle that was my chinense patch. I don't think they got enough sunlight.

Next year everything is going in pots, we said that last year and still plowed the garden. Bad backs and weeds do NOT mix well.

More agressive bug treatment, something chewing holes in pepper leaves and peppers.

IMO expensive "dirt" has not been proven to justify the expense. Peppers growing in cheaper "soil" are doing as well or better than the ones in the fancy (expensive) stuff.

Some fertilizer but overdoing it is NOT good for peppers. Ignore them and they still grow quite well.

Add bonemeal or lime, oystershells, shrimpshells, eggshells to your compost pile this year so you will have enough base calcium in your soil for next year. Get a PH soil test kit.

Add bonemeal or lime, oystershells, shrimpshells, eggshells to your compost pile this year so you will have enough base calcium in your soil for next year. Get a PH soil test kit.

Man, you nailed it. That is exactly what I was thinking and it should be no. 7 on my list.

1. Don't use soaker hose on a slope.

2. Don't plant as many chilies of untried varieties. (Very difficult to resist.)

3. Plant at least a dozen of my fave sauce chilies and heavy producers, Naga Morich.

4. Plant at least a dozen of the sweetest finest tasting dessert chilies I've found so far, Manzanos of any color and make arrangements to shield them from the extreme heat here in Dixieland.

5. Plant more Polombo (PI439411), another spicy thick fleshed sweet pepper that will do until the Manzanos arrive.

6. Plant more Pasilla Bajio, a fine dried addition to many powder blends.

7. Plant fewer chilies overall, I can't possibly use them all and pickin' em in this humid summer heat is torture.

8. Mix and overwinter more potting mix in the fall, because I always seem to use more than planned and Dolomite needs time to work its magic.

Getting some great info here folks, thanks.

SS what's the "sweetest finest tasting dessert chili" you've found so far? I always heard the Jimmy Nardello was. Grew them last year and was kind of disappointed.

Thanks man.

1a. fertilize less
1b. water less
1c. fuss less

2. plant fewer varieties

3. be more proactive about garden pests - strike early and hard

4. don't waste valuable space on ornamentals

5. figure out what the peppers will be used for BEFORE choosing them

6. have a game-plan for what to do with them come mid-August

7. really do not need eight different kinds of habanero

Harden off plants better.
Get on top of pests faster and harder.
Get a system of utilizing chile's so none go to waste.
Start seeds early and use lights for growing til spring.
Keep total plants at a good amount. I don't need 100 plants........even though I want 100 plants. I have around 40 now. Most likey keep at around 75ish or under.

Back