• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

eBay alert....heads up.

Whole collection up for sale....pretty decent deal @ $2.00 a bottle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Hot-Sauce-Collection-/230517623526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35abebcae6

That's no fun, it's building your collection that is the fun of it right? I have a huge collection of half eaten bottles? What do you think that would go for? :lol:

That's no fun, it's building your collection that is the fun of it right? I have a huge collection of half eaten bottles? What do you think that would go for? :lol:

....kinda makes me wanna go for a taco and a sammich! ;)

Yeah....this is a LOT of money up front....and it takes much of the fun out of the "hunt"...

My first thought is to ask why someone would sell an entire collection. One doesn't go from being a chilihead to not overnight. Possibilities I've come up with so far are:
a) angry spouse trying to "get even"
b) ex-spouse somehow ended up with the collection and doesn't want it (and instead of offering back to chilihead, decided to make some money on it)
c) chilihead died

Somehow, I just don't want part in any of those! :(

It's just that I want to collect, but I want to eat them too. So I eat however much I want, and keep the rest. I know it is then worthless, but I can't seem to throw them away and I have WAY to many to eat it all. Sometimes I finish a bottle, but if I do that means I like it so I usually get another then. I would say there are probably 20 or less that I continually buy and have on hand. That said, I do have some collectibles Blair's, Defcon's and various other signed bottles that I wouldn't open.

Yeah, and as much fun it is to get hot sauces......this just doesn't make sense. The whole point is going out and getting them. Not putting up 4 G's and instantly saying your a collector. Where's the stories of the old guy who had a rare sauce that you bought back in 1969? Either way.....I could buy a Kia with that money, lol.

Of course you do. How many bottles do you have in all? And why aren't you using the ones that have been sitting there half-used for God only knows how long? And has it been so long you might as well throw them out at this point?

When my kids were little, I decided to collect certain VHS tapes - I bought 2 of the ones I wanted to collect, one for the kids to watch, and one to keep for posterity. Do I have a VHS player any more? No, but do I have a lot of unopened VHS tapes? Yep. I keep telling myself to go find a VHS player to set aside for "that day", and haven't done it yet. Hm. Maybe this is the hint I need to do just that.... At any rate, I suggest buying two of the ones you want to collect, going forward.

Lately, I've focused on the limited, hard to find bottles. I scour eBay twice a day (morning and night) for decent deals. I'm sure I've sniped more than my fair share of auctions! ;) I do, though, have quite a few of the novelty bottles too....but they've mostly come from targeting a rare or discontinued piece in a bigger lot. Most novelty sauces are filled with crap sauce, but make a pretty good display. Plus, they're easy to find so I don't feel that there's any urgency to pick them up.

I'd say I have well over 1000 bottles and it's growing every week.

Actually, I was responding to JayT's post.

But now that you say you have well over 1,000 bottles - that's 1,000+ bottles times about how much per bottle? That's some serious sauce collecting!

Actually, I was responding to JayT's post.

But now that you say you have well over 1,000 bottles - that's 1,000+ bottles times about how much per bottle? That's some serious sauce collecting!

Yeah...Retta thinks I'm insane. I've got about 6K in them......give or take. BUT, before you choke.. :lol: ...I do have some extremely rare bottles, including quite a few that are unique and irreplaceable. Many many many bottles in my collection are hand signed and that many more are limited and numbered.

The 'Kid has decided he wants to collect hot sauces also. He has 2 so far. His first was a signed bottle of Texas Creek Ghost Fire ;) and a bottle of Dave's Insanity we bought at the store last week.

Pauly's post caught my interest...until I saw the price...:eek:

Guess he'll be doing it the old fashioned way, one bottle at a time~

Yeah...Retta thinks I'm insane. I've got about 6K in them......give or take. BUT, before you choke.. :lol: ...I do have some extremely rare bottles, including quite a few that are unique and irreplaceable. Many many many bottles in my collection are hand signed and that many more are limited and numbered.
No choking here - we people are odd about wanting to collect things. And if you're doing it over time, roughly $6 here, $6 there, doesn't seem like a big deal at all as it's happening.

The 'Kid has decided he wants to collect hot sauces also. He has 2 so far. His first was a signed bottle of Texas Creek Ghost Fire ;) and a bottle of Dave's Insanity we bought at the store last week.
Pauly's post caught my interest...until I saw the price...:eek:
Guess he'll be doing it the old fashioned way, one bottle at a time~
I have no interest in collecting, but I do have an interest in trying. So far in this area, I've mostly found jalapeno sauces, habanero sauces, and sauces that just say "chili" without specifying what type. And the one bottle of Holy Jolokia. But thinking more about it, I now remember there's a little hot shop nearby - I'll have to see if it's still open or not - so many places around here have closed down, it's sad, all the empty shops. I suspect most of my trying will come from when I travel - good thing I do a lot of that in the work I do!

Geesh! Okay - change everything. Well, not everything. Went and checked out the litttle hot shop's website, and it's still open. Although the grocer I go to is in this particular shopping mall, until recently most of the tenants charged more than I'm usually willing to pay for anything, so I don't frequent the stores in that mall. (I really can't bring myself to spend a few hundred on a shirt - I don't care whose name is on it! But admittedly, most of those stores are gone now.) Here's a link, if you're interested: Heather's Heat & Flavor

I spent the first 40 years of my lfe devouring hot sauce and never really gave much thought to collecting unopened bottles. I had quite a few collections already started (coins, stamps, sports cards, comic books, ex-wives) so it never occured to me.

I still love love LOVE trying new hot sauces. I use hot sauce at nearly every meal. My fridge is full of em! But I've re-directed my collecting urge in that direction.

....now, If I only had a bigger HOUSE! :lol:

Geeme, I would say I have somewhere around 1000 bottles. I did have the intention of collecting at one point, and have about 200 vintage bottles unopened, but as I buy new bottles I have to try them so I open them and eat some and then move on to the next. I eat A LOT of hot sauce, but I can't eat it all, therefore, I have a whole bunch of half eaten bottles. Now that I am a reviewer, that continues even more.

Understandable as a reviewer that you would have many, many opened bottles.

I went to Heather's after my last post, and picked up a bottle of CaJohn's fatalii puree. Makes me think mostly of mustard. I've never had fatalii before, though, so am wondering how the smell/flavor/heat of this puree compares to fresh/dried. Have you tried this? Also, I was surprised - put some on my tongue, then left it there a moment before swallowing. What surprised me was that a) the heat didn't spread to the rest of my mouth like when I put a piece of fresh pepper on my tongue, and b) the "zang" of the heat didn't last very long. Mind you, there's still some heat in that area of the mouth where I put the puree, but I haven't done anything to eliminate it (no chips, lemon, sugar...), and it's not very intense like I would expect after just a few minutes.

I had to laugh in reading all those sauce labels. One was a hab sauce, but they also put pure cap into it. My approach to peppers is to find flavor - heat is fun, but not my sole purpose in finding peppers. Otherise it seems you might as well just put pure cap into a bottle of vinegar - why bother with adding anything else if you can't taste it?

There was a guy posting auctions on eBay liquidating his hot sauce collection in 20 -25 bottle lots. He actually removed two running auctions midway through because I won three previous lots in the last seconds and he ended up having to send them to me for a song....:rofl:

I love eBay!!

It's just that I want to collect, but I want to eat them too. So I eat however much I want, and keep the rest. I know it is then worthless, but I can't seem to throw them away and I have WAY to many to eat it all. Sometimes I finish a bottle, but if I do that means I like it so I usually get another then. I would say there are probably 20 or less that I continually buy and have on hand. That said, I do have some collectibles Blair's, Defcon's and various other signed bottles that I wouldn't open.

Not neccessarily worthless, because perhaps a bottle in 20 years will be worth alot even if its open bcuz its so rare that someone wants it even if its open! Personally, I agree with you Jay (even though were doing a limited edition collectors bottle lol) I just want to eat the sauce. I also think that I'm to much of a spaz and anything expensive I ever have I break, lose, or ruin. Example: Johnny got me diamond earings last year, lost them in 2 months. My mom gave me fake diamond earings and Ive had them for a year. This is the story of my life...

xo nicole

I spent the first 40 years of my lfe devouring hot sauce and never really gave much thought to collecting unopened bottles. I had quite a few collections already started (coins, stamps, sports cards, comic books, ex-wives) so it never occured to me.

I still love love LOVE trying new hot sauces. I use hot sauce at nearly every meal. My fridge is full of em! But I've re-directed my collecting urge in that direction.

....now, If I only had a bigger HOUSE! :lol:

nice paully.. haha :party: (ive just been enjoying exploring the smileys, "party" isnt in relation to divorce!)

xo

Back