• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

HOT dogs

I think it is high time that we start giving one of the US' trademark foods it's due. There are a million ways to make a hot dog, and I have had many, but I have a freezer full of hot dogs (I seem to never be able to pass them up when on sale), and I need some ideas. I propose this thread as a place to show off your hot dog prowess. Let's make them creative and of course HOT! I don't have a get started pic as this just came to me and I have just eaten, but I promise to chime in with some pics soon. In the meantime, what is YOUR favorite dog?

Think Im going to like this thread. Im a fan of the hot dog myself. My gf will only eat turkey dogs. Superstitions and such. LOL Ill eat anything but beets.

Wish I saw this earlier. I took 5 hot dogs, and some left over chilie. Chopped up the dogs, threw em in the chilie, added half of a Bonda Ma Jacque ( Thank you Sean ), a few serranos, and some rattlesnake dust. Threw in some chopped chives, a little bit of homemade garlic powder, some of SalsaLady's Ghost Fire Sauce to top it off. After that, I chopped up some bread, put it in a 2 quart bowl, warmed up the previous concoction, put it on the bread pieces, then I topped all that off with some Cabot Extra Sharp white cheddar. Mix it up and dig in!! About halfway through I added some Scotch Bonnet sauce that I have had layin around for forever. Delish!

The classic Mac and Cheese with 'dogs and a twist!

Sliced up 'dogs in mac and cheese (Kraft packaged mac and cheese if camping...) with some Southwest spice mix in the m&c and Ghost Fire hot sauce on top.

I'll take pics next time~~~~

and there's always the ubiquitous "beanies and weenies"~

The 'dogs make all the difference in the entree. We used to get the on-sale Bar-S, but have been trying to choose a little better quality even for "comfort food" like hot dogs. Wranglers are pretty good, but we've been enjoying the Applegate brand lately. More $$, but a tasty product.

Still can't quite fork out the $$$ for the organic Applegate hotdogs.

Ill definitely take some pics of the next hot dog salad. Great stuff. I eat like a disposal, so its filling even for me. Everybody hates that I can eat anything and everything and not see any of the weight from it. Im also a bit of a medical anomoly, so..... what can I say. Im blessed!

I prefer brats and sausages but when I eat a hot dog it is usually Chicago style minus the relish. I also enjoy chili cheese dogs and slaw dogs. Sauerkraut is good also.

A book of local joints with lots of signage pics is Never Put Ketchup On A Hot Dog.

I prefer the natural casing ones. Volwerth's, from th Upper Peninsula is best. Beat's Nathan's by a mile. But I will def. be doing something of these this week. In the meantime, here is my Ghetto 7 Pod Chili dog.
IMG_1698.jpg

I only really eat hot dogs at ball games or if I make and smoke them myself, I'm more into non-emulsified sausages without animal byproducts

Hot dog in a toasted soft roll, saurkraut, diced peppers, melted cheddar and a sprinkle of chopped lettuce. That is the stuff! Also when I want a meaty dog and not just a salty dog, then I go with a Millers all beef dog. It has flavor, great texture, juicy and isn't just a salt lick. Either microwave for lunch or grilled for dinner. Pics to come later.

Back