• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Oktoberfest Throwdown

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Last year we did the homemade sausage.

How about this year a märzen has to be a cooking ingredient, and anything goes?

Pumpkin always gets shot down. And putting it against beer isn't fair either lol.

That sound like a hoot. Guess this noob's gonna have to jump in and pop my Throwdown pepper. :rofl: The possibilities :dance: are endless, hopefully we'll have as much creativity and fun as you folks did with this last throwdown.

OOH, German Beer. Hmmm.
I can't believe it's been a year since I tried to shoot sausage from a potato gun.

I'm down with whatever, but I like the way this discussion is starting....a German influence (as it should be)

Okay not everyone will be able to get a märzen, so how about just beer. One app (any starter) and one meal as a combined entry, both using beer as an ingredient. Same beer must be served with the meal in a glass, with the bottle/(can? lol) in the pic. Cool?

How about German Style Beer, or German Brands of Beer. That way you won't see forty different kinds of beer from IPA, Stout, Bock and Marzen. German Style at least narrows it down to about 10-15 different kinds of beer. And then you can see everyones local German style of beer. Hefeweizen is everywhere, so is Ocktoberfest and Bocks are pretty prolific too. Not to mention anyone that has a way of getting any Gordon Biersch and many Sam Adams can make their way into this comp.

OOH, German Beer. Hmmm.
I can't believe it's been a year since I tried to shoot sausage from a potato gun.

I'm down with whatever, but I like the way this discussion is starting....a German influence (as it should be)

Do you have a video of that?

How about German Style Beer, or German Brands of Beer. That way you won't see forty different kinds of beer from IPA, Stout, Bock and Marzen. German Style at least narrows it down to about 10-15 different kinds of beer.

And I'd have a reason to use another bottle of Raging Bitch beer.....

German or German style sounds good.

No Busch Light? :lol:

Geeme Check the video...
This is worth another look:
Since I don't have a sausage stuffer, I decided to load my casings with something with a little more firepower. So, I cleaned up my old potato gun (made from leftover parts from my even older potato gun). Sausage is made from pork, saurkraut, habanero, HB Oktoberfest beer (not in pic), a splash of busch light.
P1030597.jpg

Packed it in as tight as I could

P1030602.jpg

Rolled on the casing using a technique I learned in college.

P1030603.jpg

Slapped a little over-proof in the combustion chamber, and SHAZAAM!!!! Click the link for a quick 20-second demonstration of my sausage-stuffing prowess!! Had to put it on Youtube. Wouldn't let me embed it here. Enjoy.
Disqualify me if you must, but please leave this up for people to enjoy! I'll bet nobody's ever stuffed sausage like this! For some dumb reason I thought it would work.

Back