• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground coffee grounds

I have heard that used coffee grounds are good for plants. What does coffee grounds do for pepper plants? If I decide to use them: How much? How often? Can I use it in pots?

I'm looking for any info on this subject. It intrigues me.

check this link out

starbucks coffee grounds

i use coffee grounds from starbucks that they give away since i don't drink enough to make enough grounds to use on my plants and we don't have a coffee brewer. lol.

i use the stuff all the time.

I have heard that used coffee grounds are good for plants. What does coffee grounds do for pepper plants? If I decide to use them: How much? How often? Can I use it in pots?

I'm looking for any info on this subject. It intrigues me.
Well I personaly have used coffe grounds for my red wiggler worms, and as far as I know they have a bit to much acidic content, so dont really know what it will do to plants. Well I goggled your question found this, spread coffee grounds around acid-loving plants, like azaleas, rhododendrons and blueberries.

Well I personaly have used coffe grounds for my red wiggler worms, and as far as I know they have a bit to much acidic content, so dont really know what it will do to plants. Well I goggled your question found this, spread coffee grounds around acid-loving plants, like azaleas, rhododendrons and blueberries.
most water buffers the crap out of the grounds so it's not nearly as acidic as say "coffee".

I have sprinkled coffee grounds around my plants mostly because of what I have read in the past, supplies nitrogen, magnesium and other nutrients but I don't think I have even seen a breakdown analysis of used coffee grounds to provide any real proof. I water with the unused coffee, I fill the pot with water to dilute then give the kids a shot.

If I don't sprinkle some grounds around the plant, I definitely put my grounds daily into my composter or on my blueberries. I put tea grounds around the blueberries as well - I just dig them directly into the soil.

Lenawee County Extension Service

http://www.lenawee.mi.us/solid_waste_department/composting_with_coffee_grounds.html

Great link franz. I think I'll start to use some of the coffee grounds in my compost.

i've posted this before. hehe. =D

i mix mine into my growing medium and my aerated compost tea. seems to do alright. gives my plants a nice pick-me-up just like when i drink coffee. lol.

Sometimes Starbucks will have large packages of used coffee grounds in front of the counter free for the taking. I took one a few months ago. It was compacted and pretty dry. I added it to all my chiles and garden veggies. Now I am adding my own grounds to the soil I'm making for next year along with powdered egg shells. Can't wait to see if next year's early crop improves.

Sometimes Starbucks will have large packages of used coffee grounds in front of the counter free for the taking

i actually go straight to the barista and ask for the whole bucket load. lol.

from what i know about the issue worms love to eat them and the more goodies you feed your worms the more worms you will have congregating in your soil and the more worms the more aeration you will have for better water and nutrient transfer to the roots as well as the best thing of all WORM POOPthe nutrient content in worm poop is awesome and organic
it is correct also to say that slugs and snails dislike the acidic property of coffee because they have soft sensitive bodies and it must burn them i suppose?? coffee grounds also keep cut worms at bay very nicely just like tea bags
the acid content is not generally an issue, although i did hear of one case of a friend who got a hold of about 120 pounds or so from his work and put it all on the garden to try and amend his soil, nothing grew, but that was way too much ya know what they say about too much of a good thing.

they do compost well but if your using alot of them on top of the soil around your plants they tend to clump up and slow water absorption this is easily taken care of by just breaking up the clump with a shovel or hoe from time to time

bottom line use them it just can hurt!! i do i get mine from home depot where i work they offer free coffee to there contractors at the service deck, its not too much but i have a large garden and the more the better

hope this help thanks your friend joe

The baristas are happy when I collect the grounds. They just give me the whole bag for the day so they don't need to repack it to smaller bags. :D

Wish we had Starbucks in this hick town.... :(

BTW Coffee grounds are good as a short term deterrent against many pests -

We had bees trying to make a home under the maid's bedroom last week and sprinkled a liberal coating of grounds and all activity stopped immediately.

Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread! 

Unless the grounds have taken a trip through the south end of a northbound worm, don't count on them providing that big nitrogen boost immediately.  
I used ~20% fresh grounds in this year's potting mix and was worried that this might over-fert the plants and burn them. Nope!  The plants, once transplanted, actually faded and started to go pale on me!  A belated dose of tomato food has darkened the leaves and improved plant appearance significantly.

Perhaps, with time, the bugs in the soil will decompose the coffee.  Until then it's apparently just sort of sitting there, providing soil bulk and a bit of water retention, but not much more. 

Bring a bucket to Starbucks just as they are closing.  The workers welcome this, presumably because they can just dump their machines without having to fiddle with bags and whatnot.  When doing this, it's easy to come away with several gallons of the stuff per night.

Geonerd said:
Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread! 

Unless the grounds have taken a trip through the south end of a northbound worm, don't count on them providing that big nitrogen boost immediately.  
I used ~20% fresh grounds in this year's potting mix and was worried that this might over-fert the plants and burn them. Nope!  The plants, once transplanted, actually faded and started to go pale on me!  A belated dose of tomato food has darkened the leaves and improved plant appearance significantly.

Perhaps, with time, the bugs in the soil will decompose the coffee.  Until then it's apparently just sort of sitting there, providing soil bulk and a bit of water retention, but not much more. 

Bring a bucket to Starbucks just as they are closing.  The workers welcome this, presumably because they can just dump their machines without having to fiddle with bags and whatnot.  When doing this, it's easy to come away with several gallons of the stuff per night.
So what do i do with the grounds? I dont have worms to feed. -.-"

And its kind hard to find tomato food here. Any alternative i can use?

Back