• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Show me yours...

...and I'll show you mine.

Well, my 2007 pepper list, anyway. I was thinking that I've asked several people what they're planting, and in the interests of being fair, I ought to list what I'm growing this year.

Hot...or hot-ish, in some cases:

Bhut Jolokia, Cherry Chocolate, Criolla Sella, Dedo de Mocha, Grenada Seasoning, Chocolate Hab, Hinkle Hatz, Limon, Pilange, Pimiento de Chiero, Puppy, Tobago Seasoning, Trinidad Seasoning, Lemon Drop, Fish, Aji Dulce II, Melrose, Almapaprika, C. Flexuosum, C. Chacoense Red, C. Chacoense Chaco Yellow,C Praetermissum, C Cardenasii, Big Jim, Venus of Wallendorf, Hatch, Conquistador,and Turkish Cherry.

Sweet, and I'm aware Conquistador could be listed here, too:

Figaro, Sheepnose Pimento, Tolli's Sweet Italian, Corno De Toro Red, Corno De Toro Yellow, and Fruit Basket.

My plants are :

Naga Dorset,Hababero Chocolate,Habanero Orange,Carribean Red,Red Savina,Francisca,Jalapeno,Bulgarian Carrot,Nepali Orange,NewMex Big Jim,Red Bandit,Devils Kiss and Sweet Bite....One of each,just Jalapenos I got 6.

I'll show you mine, but I'm shy soooooo you need to go to the *Welcome* section of the forum. See that you, BBQ-Phil and I have a few in common.

Have lots of favorite peppers but Criolla Sella and Nepali Orange are without question 2 of my faves.

BBQ-Phil said:
My plants are :

Nepali Orange,NewMex,Red Bandit,Devils Kiss and Sweet Bite

Ok, I've either grown or am familiar with all but these three. I found the Nepali Orange on the Cross country page, but could you tell me a little more about it and the others?

....One of each,just Jalapenos I got 6.

People think I have a small farm in my backyard when I tell them how many varieties that I'm growing, but hot peppers are so productive I rarely need more than one of each.

I forgot the choc. caribbean and the ?mytery vulture hab. So for habs I got:
Cappuccino
Guadaloupe
White bullet(actually White Ammo)
Choc. Congo
Choc Caribbean
?vulture
As well as Datil, Fatalii, Devil's tongue, Ivorian Pimente and 3 types of scotch bonnet not to mention the scorpion and the naga.
I'm still trying to germinate some giant white habs too.

Hey Habman, any luck with the Marbles. Mine wouldn't germinate.

POTAWIE said:
I forgot the choc. caribbean and the ?mytery vulture hab. So for habs I got:
Cappuccino
Guadaloupe
White bullet(actually White Ammo)
Choc. Congo
Choc Caribbean
?vulture
As well as Datil, Fatalii, Devil's tongue, Ivorian Pimente and 3 types of scotch bonnet not to mention the scorpion and the naga.
I'm still trying to germinate some giant white habs too.

Hey Habman, any luck with the Marbles. Mine wouldn't germinate.

Ah ok. Just ot distracted with all the ornementals.

Nope zero success with the marbles. bummer.

1)Naga (5)
2)Hot Jalapeno (6)
3)Orange Habanero (4)
4)White Bullet (4)
5)La Rouge Royale (bell pepper) (4)
6)Pretty Purple (3)
7)Lemon Drop (1)
8)Big Jim (1)
9)Chilaca (3)
10)Fatalii (1)
11)Roccoto (1)
12)Red Caribbean (1)
13)Orange Thai (1)

I went a little crazy for my first year but everything is going great. I had to get another rack today and load it up with lights I currently have around 350 plants.
Aji Amarillo
Aji Benito
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Aji Dulce #1
Aji Dulce #2
Aji Limo
Aji Norteno
Anaheim
Ancho/Pablano
Antohi Romanian
Aurora
Balloon (Bishops Crown)
Bellingrath Gardens
Bhut Jolokai
Black Manaqualana
Bolivian Rainbow
Brazilian Multicolor Acorn
Bulgarian Carrot
Burning Bush
Cal Wonder
Cayenne Gold
Cayenne Long Thin
Charleston Hot
Chicken Heart (Hinckle Hatz)
Chilly Chile
Chiltepin
Chinese Giant
Congo Trinidad
Cumari
De Arbol Purple
Earbob
Elephant Probiscus
Fatalii
Fatalii ThinFish Pepper
Fresno
Friggatillo
Habanero Cayenne (Hybrid)
Hab Chocolate
Hab Brown
Hab Golden Lantern
Hab Orange
Hab Red
Hab Red Lantern
Hab White
Hab Aji
Hab Amarillo
Hab Black Congo
Hab Dulce
Hot Lemon
Inca Red Drop
Jalabenero (Jalapeno Hab Mix)
Jalapeno Early
Jalapeno "M"
Jalapeno Purple
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy's Little White Hot
Jimmy Nardello
Korean Yellow
Mexican Long
Naga Morich
Napalese Bell
NuMex Big Jim
Orange Dulce
Papri Paprika
Pepperoncini
Pepperoncini Golden Greek
Peter pepper Red
Peter pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Yellow
Pequin
Peru Yellow
Pointsettia
Pretty Purple
Red Popper
Rocotillo
Rocoto Orange
Rocoto Red
Royal Black
Santa Fe Grande
Sapporo
Serrano
Serrano Purple
Louisiana Sport Pepper
Starburst
Tabasco
Tobago Orange Scotch Bonnet
Tobago Seasoning
Thai
Thai KeeNu
Valero
Venezualan Purple
Yellow Mushroom

lightstand002.jpg

Dale

thepodpiper said:
I went a little crazy for my first year but everything is going great. I had to get another rack today and load it up with lights I currently have around 350 plants.
Aji Amarillo
...edit...
Yellow Mushroom

Dale

dude, let's break it down:

thepodpiper said:
I went a little crazy for my first year but everything is going great.

your first year!!! - have you ever been tested for OCD?

thepodpiper said:
...I had to get another rack today and load it up with lights...

do you think maybe you have too many plants (I know, you can NEVER have too many)???

thepodpiper said:
...I currently have around 350 plants

:onfire: WTF? 350 plants... do you have commercial use for them? this is without doubt the most ambitious first year of pepper growing I've ever seen. dude, you are a legend!

:sick: :clap: :clap:

I see you don't have any Caribbean Antillais - what, did you run out of room?

I'm so jealous!!! do you actually eat chiles? what else are you growing?

can anyone beat this attempt for a first year's crop?

Mark

Naga Morich
Red Scotch Bonnet
Peach Habanero
Fatalii
Lemon Drop
Flourescent Purple
Brazilian Starfish
Aurora
Bode
Neon Yellow Habanero
Limon
Peruvian White Habanero
Purple Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Chiltepin
Cumari
Cumari o Passarinho

I do have some tomato plants growing also. I know its crazy, and all I wanted was a few more peppers to grow in the garden so I started to do some research on peppers and I can't stop. It is definetly an addiction. I will be putting most of the varieties in pots and will try to overwinter some. Here are some of the Nagas, very slow grower I will plant much earlier next year. The date on the photo is not correct.

plantprogressionApril032.jpg

Dale

thepodpiper said:

I use a similar set up for starting seeds. I have the wire rack, but I used a foil insulation under the seed trays. It reflects the heat of the seed starting mats back up, and the one I bought has a fire safety rating, which makes me feel a little better. I also wrapped the insulation around each shelf early on to hold the heat around the trays. It worked really well, I keep the house at 55 F during the day, but the air around inside the insulation stayed around 75 F.

I'm curious, what size is your garden to accommodate that many plants? My garden is about 30 X 12, with a 6 X 12 strip I've added on the back this spring, plus I have some peppers and tomatoes in containers. If you add in the tomatoes, I still won't have anything like 100 plants, and you've got 350 plus tomatoes!
I'm in awe.

I have my waterbed heaters set up on a White Rodgers model # 1687-9 thermostat with remote bulb that is hardwired from the breaker box then from the thermostat it is wired to a recepticle which I have the heaters plugged into then I put the remote bulb in the cell trays thru the top of the dome. It is set to turn on when the temp falls to 80 deg. and turn off if the temp gets around 87 to 89 deg.The thermostat just cuts the power to the recepticle when it hits the preset temps. This method is working without any problems and the temps are right on the money.

I will only be planting the jalapenos and some of the habs and maybe serranos in the garden the rest will be in pots. I am going to enlarge the garden this year or maybe just make a complete new one for the peppers 20x10 for the peppers The veggie garden will be about 20x20 approx.

I know its late but I would be open to some trading of seeds if anyone is interested. I may even be looking to off some of these plants when it comes time to set outside I will have to get a hard count on what I have and the numbers of each that are still alive at that time. I have some promised out to friends but there will be some left over I'm sure.

Dale

DSC00258.jpg

Naga Morich
Lemon Drop
Lemon Hab
White Bullet
Caribbean Red
Possible Cayenne/Tabasco Hybrid
Possible Thai/Tabasco Hybrid
Peach
Jalabanero
Purple Jalapeno
Yellow Jalapeno
Black Hungarian
Chocolate Congo
Scotch Bonnet

BTW thepodpiper how was the germination of the Jalabanero seeds I sent you?

thepodpiper said:
I have my waterbed heaters set up on a White Rodgers model # 1687-9 thermostat with remote bulb that is hardwired from the breaker box then from the thermostat it is wired to a recepticle which I have the heaters plugged into then I put the remote bulb in the cell trays thru the top of the dome. It is set to turn on when the temp falls to 80 deg. and turn off if the temp gets around 87 to 89 deg.The thermostat just cuts the power to the recepticle when it hits the preset temps. This method is working without any problems and the temps are right on the money.

Um...ok. You'll understand if I stick to my simple "plug and play" seed starting mats, right?

I will only be planting the jalapenos and some of the habs and maybe serranos in the garden the rest will be in pots. I am going to enlarge the garden this year or maybe just make a complete new one for the peppers 20x10 for the peppers The veggie garden will be about 20x20 approx.

So, do I gather that you don't plan to grow out all 350 seedlings? Some you're giving to friends and you planned for extras in case some died? Because.....damn! I'm still pretty awed by the sheer numbers. I'll end up with between 40 and 50 pepper plants this summer, and there's just no way I can eat or put up that many, but I enjoy sharing what I grow with friends and family.

And I've grown well over 350 seedlings this spring if you count all the vegetables, flowers, and herbs together, but I planted them in waves, and was able to move the cold hardy stuff outside to make room for things like basil and peppers that want heat. And I'm not growing them all out myself. I just brought a clothes basket full of tomato plants in to one of my co-workers.

Back