• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

roadhouse's pepper review log

Decided this would be a fun way to keep records of what I thought of particular chiles. Unfortunately I do not have video capability so it won't be as fun but hopefully I will be able to take pictures of what I'm eating once my camera is charged again at least.

So here's my first, it's the Chocolate Bhut Jolokia.

Cut in half and removed seeds, ate one half. Yeah I'm a pussy and won't do the whole thing. But half is better than a sliver. :cool:

Good aroma, not very fruity, nutty though with a faint smokiness.

Nice flavor at onset, mostly nutty without much fruitiness as smell would suggest.

Heat onset was quite delayed, I thought I had escaped it for a second, but not at all!

A minute in and I am burning horribly. Hiccups, eyes watering slightly. Back of throat is on fire.

Three minutes gone by, still burning but mostly on the middle of the tongue and back of the throat has subsided. A bit of nasal drip.

Ten minutes in and the burn is still quite strong but is manageable now.

Very nice one though I prefer the flavor of the red better. Heat level is about the same.

Overall Heat level: 9

great review! i'm afraid none of mine will ripen befroe the end of the season but oh well. next year. oh and not eating the whole pod does not make you a pussy. we all test in our own way. as long as you can give the accurate description of the pepper it is a good review.

Nice! Written reviews are just as useful as video's so don't let that keep you from sharing your thoughts. The chocolate Bhut is one of my favorites. (I still have not tired a regular Red Bhut) I had a hard time describing the flavor as it was one of the first I reviewed. I just remember something about it kept me nibbling on it. Looking forward to reading your thoughts. One thing I wish I had done was keep a running list ranking how I liked the peppers. Now I have to go back and kind of put one together. Much easier to just make the list as you go and the say I like this chocolate better than this habanero so I will put it here.

Beaglestorm

Today I am testing the Harold's St. Bart habanero.

Aroma is pretty fruity but not as much as some other yellow chinenses. I'd say a hint of orange and peach. Not as pungent overall, it takes a big whiff to catch any details. OK here goes, this time popping the whole thing in.

Great flavor initially sort of sweet almost smoky and again hints of orange fruitiness. Heat only takes about 10 seconds to start building and it takes off after that. Searing heat on the front half of the tongue and only getting worse. Not too bad on the back of the throat.

Three minutes in and I'm starting to tear up a bit, not getting any hiccups on this one though. All the pain is focused on the front half of the tongue still with a little bit on the bottom of the tongue.

Ten minutes later the pain is still lingering of course but has mostly subsided into a pleasant tingle.

Great flavor on this one, a bit more interesting than I was expecting and not quite like most other yellow chinense I have tasted. These will make a great powder to add to meats and burgers. I'd say the heat level is about on par with an Orange Habanero.

Overall heat level: 8

Today I am going to test the Red Savina. This time I'm only eating a half because this ones starting to go south and I don't like the look of one side of it.

Aroma is not very pleasing really, it's sort of medicinal with more of an annuum type of smell to it.

Taste not that great either, it's kind of like an apple if I had to say a fruit. Heat doesn't hit instantly but burn starts up in about a minute. It is focused mainly on the front of the tongue with a bit in the back of the upper part of my throat. Tip of the tongue is stinging badly.

After 3 minutes the heat is pushing its way to the back of my throat but still remains focused on the front of the tongue.

Ten minutes after eating the heat had died down and no longer hurts.

I am sort of disappointed with this one for being the supposed previous champ. It's not really a great flavor particularly but it is not horrible. Not something I would want to cook with directly but could easily be used for kicking up the heat of a dish in flake or powder form.

Overall heat level: 8

Here's some upcoming tests I will be doing...Large Yellow 7 Pot, Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon, and Bhut Jolokia...all from Judy, Congo Trinidad, Rocotillo, and Devil's Tongue from CCN, and a mystery Naga from odytesy (see his post on it here.)

Today I will be testing the mystery Naga sent to me by odytesy. He had obtained it from a shop claiming they are Bhut Jolokia seed.

This one doesn't look like either a Naga Morich or a Bhut Jolokia for sure. I have not seen a Dorset Naga though so I can not rule that out. It is about 1 3/4" long by 3/4" wide with smooth skin and 3 locules. The skin seems pretty thick for a Bhut, about 1/10" thick.

The aroma actually is like a Bhut though with that distinct strawberry-like fruitiness that I associate with them. Also has that nice floral scent.

OK time to pop it in. Great flavor for sure, strong fruitiness at the start but it does get sort of medicinal tasting for a few minutes. After swallowing the fruity flavor comes back and lingers nicely. The heat is intense as hell after only about 20 seconds and is absolutely blasting my tongue. Hiccups start after only a minute. The heat isn't no joke here. Like an iron on the tongue and the back of the throat starts to burn after three minutes. I'm also getting some nasal drip 5 minutes later.

I have to conclude that this definitely is some sort of Naga and the Dorset seems to be the most likely based on appearance, at least compared to photos I've seen of it. The heat is definitely there and it is at least equal to or greater than Bhut Jolokia.

Overall heat level: 9.5

Finally found it! Here's a shot of it with a whole pod on the right.

P1010004.jpg

Really enjoying reading your hot pepper review log here Roadhouse.

Your detail on pepper flavor, the heat points in the mouth, and the overall pepper heat levels will help me decide on whether or not to add some of these peppers to my seedlist.

Eventually, in addition to Super Hots, i'm gonna want to add some nicely flavored peppers for growing in my arsenal.;)

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Doug
dvg

Really enjoying reading your hot pepper review log here Roadhouse.

Your detail on pepper flavor, the heat points in the mouth, and the overall pepper heat levels will help me decide on whether or not to add some of these peppers to my seedlist.

Eventually, in addition to Super Hots, i'm gonna want to add some nicely flavored peppers for growing in my arsenal.;)

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Doug
dvg

Thanks Doug glad you are enjoying my reviews thanks for reading!

Well...I'm taking a dual ass kicking today. I noticed the 7 Pot I have (either SR or Jonah, I'm leaning towards Jonah) is starting to get soft soooo...it must be tested! After cutting this one up I can already see the capsaicin oil...uh oh...

P1010045.jpg

The aroma is really fruity, sort of like a Bhut or Naga but it seems more like orange or grapefruit rather than the fierce strawberry I get in the other two. I just wanna keep smelling this! but on to the destruction.

The flavor is about what I expected, fruity with the same citrus tinge to it but there is also sort of floral taste with chemical taste in it too, no doubt from the high capsaicin levels. The burn is really slow to onset, a little bit of burn upon the initial chew but nothing to severe. I can tell it's only going to get worse though. It's like every 30 seconds it moves up another level of pain, it's that gradual.

After 3 minutes now my entire top of my tongue is burning horribly with a gradual burn starting in the back of my throat and trickling down. I am surprised it's not burning as bad as I thought it would by now. It is painful but bearable.

Five minutes in, just a couple minutes after saying that, the pain has intensified. The tongue is now feeling like the old thumbtack torture. I have never eaten a pepper that builds up so slowly. I wonder if it is possible my tongue has some sort of tolerance built up from today since I ate that mystery Naga earlier today.

After 10 minutes my throat has started to burn a bit more and the tongue burn is holding steady.

Really enjoyed the flavor of this one and the heat is very unique compared to anything else I've tried. It's not as hot as the Trinidad Scorpion (what I would consider a 10 on the heat scale, in case you were wondering) but it is pretty damn hot. Since I'm not sure if this is a Jonah, I have a plant of my own with some Jonah pods on it now that I am waiting to ripen so it will be tested again.

Overall heat level: 9

Today I am testing a pepper I grew that was supposed to be a Devil's Tongue Red but it must have been crossed with something. It's a really cool pepper as it ripens, it goes from green to bright yellow to orange then to red and during each stage the entire pepper turns that color. Now it's time for the real test here, how it tastes.

P1010063.jpg

Aroma is just an ordinary red variety smell - slightly fruity but nothing in particular comes to mind, maybe pear or something. Other than that nothing great.

Taste starts off good with a somewhat sweet and mildly fruity taste but it then becomes bitter and sort of medicinal. The burn gets me instantly and it's fairly intense. Burn is in the back of the throat and the outer edge of the tongue and under the front of it.

After 3 minutes the intensity of the burn is basically like what a Naga Morich feels like after 10 minutes or so. 10 minutes in the burn has mostly subsided.

Overall heat level: 7

Today I will be testing the mystery Naga sent to me by odytesy. He had obtained it from a shop claiming they are Bhut Jolokia seed.

This one doesn't look like either a Naga Morich or a Bhut Jolokia for sure. I have not seen a Dorset Naga though so I can not rule that out. It is about 1 3/4" long by 3/4" wide with smooth skin and 3 locules. The skin seems pretty thick for a Bhut, about 1/10" thick.

The aroma actually is like a Bhut though with that distinct strawberry-like fruitiness that I associate with them. Also has that nice floral scent.

OK time to pop it in. Great flavor for sure, strong fruitiness at the start but it does get sort of medicinal tasting for a few minutes. After swallowing the fruity flavor comes back and lingers nicely. The heat is intense as hell after only about 20 seconds and is absolutely blasting my tongue. Hiccups start after only a minute. The heat isn't no joke here. Like an iron on the tongue and the back of the throat starts to burn after three minutes. I'm also getting some nasal drip 5 minutes later.

I have to conclude that this definitely is some sort of Naga and the Dorset seems to be the most likely based on appearance, at least compared to photos I've seen of it. The heat is definitely there and it is at least equal to or greater than Bhut Jolokia.

Hi Roadhouse, thanks for the detail review of my pod, I was only be able to handle a thin slice of it at a time therefore never know the true heat until I read your review.

Today I have a 7 Pot Brown which I grew from seed obtained from Mr_Al. The pod is quite small and is probably supposed to be bigger, but it set pretty late on my plant and I only got 3 total.

P1010073.jpg

The aroma is much like other hot brown pods I've had such as the Chocolate Bhut and Chocolate Hab. It has that really nutty slightly sweet and no doubt that slightly chemical scent of pure capsaicin.

Flavor is pretty tame for the most part a bit nutty and kind of smoky with a very strong burn right from the start. Hiccups are already beginning only 10 seconds after swallowing. Mouth is absolutely on fire with a lot of the pain on the sides of my tongue and in the back of my throat.

After 3 minutes the burn is only increasing and is now starting to make me tear up a bit. Chest is starting to burn a little as well and I am also getting some nasal drip.

After 10 minutes I am still on FIRE, though it is now bearable.

I didn't really think the flavor of this was that spectacular but wow the heat is outrageous.

Back