• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2011 Grow Log (DWC)

With the 2010 outdoor season coming to end (here's my 2010 grow log and here's my 2010 harvest compilation for those who just like pictures) it's time to kick off the 2011 grow. Trying something different this time...growing clones in dwc buckets over the winter from some of my best plants this year and then 4 - 6 weeks before plant out in 2011 taking clones from my clones and rooting them in dirt. I root them in the bucket on the right and after rooted each will get it's own bucket similar to the one on the left. Will grow all winter and if all goes well these 4 plants should contribute 10 - 20+ clones for my garden of 25 - 30 plants.

On the left is a bhut jolokia and on the right we have two giant bhut jolkias and a chocolate jolokia.

IMG_3522.jpg

so it begins...

So all my clones died off...on the bright side at learned what root rot is. I started again with seeds. A brain strain, some chocolate jolokias and a giant jolokia. The giant jolokia popped it's head out over the past few days. Put the seed in in rockwool in the dwc on Nov 9.

IMG_3716.jpg

Here's the whole setup as of right now

IMG_3717.jpg

Are you actually starting your seed in the hydro bucket?

Yep. Rockwool cubes in the hydrotron, water level about an inch below the basket. I have been and will be traveling a lot so rather than starting the seeds elsewhere and moving them I just started them right in the buckets. Only downside I've seen is the temps...it's in the 60's in the bucket so germination has been a little slow. Not terrible, the chocolates were started on Nov 14 and popped up Dec 3 or 4.

Today the brain strain decided to pop up. I was actually going to change out the rockwool and put in a new seed. I started this one on Nov 6 so i assumed it was not going to pop but it did so good news all around.

IMG_3777.jpg

My Brain Strain took quite a while too. Was looking at puting in new seed then... WHAAAAAAAAMO there they were. Oh, and a plug "THANKS CAPPY!" Awesome seed mate got 100% from what I put in!

:cheers:

Jas

EDIT: Congrats on the Brain Strain!

My Brain Strain took quite a while too. Was looking at puting in new seed then... WHAAAAAAAAMO there they were. Oh, and a plug "THANKS CAPPY!" Awesome seed mate got 100% from what I put in!

I admittedly don't give seeds the best germination environment but with the brain strain now have 100% germination...although I have only platned 1 seed :) My seeds are from cappy as well.

Whoo hoo! Congrats on the BS.
I can't wait to see how they all do in their hydro homes. Thanks for the update.

Thanks. The two chocolates and the brain strain all seem to be doing well, this giant jolokia died. Growth is still slow but that's ok...just added heavily diluted base nutes to the chocolates and the brain strain is still just water. plus the temps are cool in the basement, normally in the mid 60's.

chocolate jolokias:

IMG_3824.jpg

I either accidentally planted two seeds or this one split off somewhere down in the rockwool. thinking it's more than likely 2 seeds:

IMG_3823.jpg

The brain strain:

IMG_3825.jpg

Hi, I have everything I need to start my DWC buckets. I have a few questions: 1. I've read that DWC water should be changed weekly. Are you changing that often?; 2. What kind of nutes are you using and how much and how frequently are you adding them to your five gallon buckets?; and, 3. in the bucket with the four plants, are you going to raise all four to maturity in that bucket?

Thanks,
Ben

One of your seedlings has some leaf curl. Maybe your lights are too strong, or nutes too much? I have read that baby seedlings only need a little bit of light, and none or really weak nutes. I'm not experienced with growing hydro though. Maybe someone who has lots of experience can comment.

Hi, I have everything I need to start my DWC buckets. I have a few questions: 1. I've read that DWC water should be changed weekly. Are you changing that often?; 2. What kind of nutes are you using and how much and how frequently are you adding them to your five gallon buckets?; and, 3. in the bucket with the four plants, are you going to raise all four to maturity in that bucket?

1) No, I'm just topping off. Have changed out water in each bucket one time since i started the seeds in early/mid Nov.
2) Davids Grow, it came with black 4 station bucket i bought last year. So far the brain strain is just water with no nutes. I added 1/2 tsb of david grow (base) to the bucket with the two chocolate jolokias last week. Heavily diluted to say the least.
3) No, there are only two in there right now. One will get moved to it's own bucket at some point and I may transplant the other to dirt to get comfortable with that process.

One of your seedlings has some leaf curl. Maybe your lights are too strong, or nutes too much? I have read that baby seedlings only need a little bit of light, and none or really weak nutes. I'm not experienced with growing hydro though. Maybe someone who has lots of experience can comment.

The chocolate jolokias are in the same bucket and both started getting the curl shortly after I added the nutes. Heavily diluted but still may have been too early. Could be the light too I guess, i have a 2x2 T5 about an inch off the top of the plants and it's on 24/7. I may go back to pure water in the next few days and see if that eliminates the curl.

Thanks guys!

:cheers:

Back