• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense BeagleStorm vs. The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Chile

I feel like I just climbed to the summit of K2. Thanks Judy! I am so thankful to have had 30 or so different chiles (About 28 of which were due to the kindness of the many amazing members here on THP) before I tried this one. Between this and the Douglah last week, working my way up the heat ladder has been an amazing journey for me. I think if I had tried this as my first pepper I might have just quietly deleted my user name here on THP and keep target shooting as my only hobby. OK, so on to the review. The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T is a small little pepper. Very deceiving except for its wicked looking tail. The pepper was a nice deep red with a light bumpy but smooth skin. It looked very juicy and felt like it had a thicker skin like a Congo Trinidad. Holding it in your hand it had a nice give to it, not a plastic feel like some of the 7’s. Cutting it open there was no whoosh of aroma. Smelling up close was actually pretty pleasant. A mild fruity scent with a strong capsicum aura that was actually hot smelling but not evil in any way. I was joking about it in my Douglah review, but this one really did kind of said “Hey, I not that bad. Just pop me in your mouth and see” Seed count was low to med-low. Maybe 8-10 seeds. Seed placenta was small, but the interior of the pepper had the thickest layer of placenta covering it that I can remember. Douglah was thick…. maybe equal, but the brown color made it harder to discern its thickness. The Douglah did have more visible oil droplets however. Texture was very nice, it was velvety and pretty juicy with a nice crunch. Like a thin bell pepper. Taste was very nice. I was really impressed. Given the heat, it still manages to pass a nice balanced fruity flavor. I never gagged or thought it was bitter or had the capsicum overpower it and make me say, “This does not taste good.” Another nice thing as far as I’m concerned is that I detected no habanero flavor. The time it took the heat to hit was similar to the 7’s. I was able to chew up the whole thing and still had a minute or two before it got painful. It’s amazing that a Fatali can get me burning in just 20 or 30 seconds and this and the 7’s can’t. Speaking of Fatali, this Scorpion also had a very unique burn. Very different from the 7’s. It really generated an awesome burn in the mouth. Lips and front of the tongue did not get invited to the party but everything else was going off and dancing like it was 1999. Sides of the tongue and top back of the throat were numbing hot. Very unusual it just hurt not pin pricks and hot coal like the 7’s. Think about it, the burn in the mouth felt like lactic acidosis or the feeling you get after exercising or running to hard. Your body just hurts and you want to quit. Sounds bad, but it still feels better than the blowtorch in the throat that 7’s cause. Then my gums, bottom first then the top about 2 minutes later, just started to ache. That was a first, only lasted a few minutes but it was a neat sensation. I was hot but it did not cause any excessive sweating. This is definitely in my top 3 favorites. It had a pretty good flavor and great burn with out a throat lashing. Don’t get me wrong here, I am not saying that I would just snack on these all the time. This thing is wicked hot, but I liked it enough that I would with out a doubt eat another at some point or use it as a puree. This is on my grow list next year for sure. Only downsides I see are that the peppers are so small and the grueling stomach pain. The stomach pain was pretty dreadful. Luckily it did not start till after the mouth burn subsided. I attempted to lie down on my kitchen floor to try and calm my stomach. It did not work. Pain lasted for a good 15 - 20 minutes. Most intense pain in the stomach of any chile I have had although Buddy’s 7 caused discomfort that lasted longer. I never felt like throwing up, it was just like you swallowed a dagger or razor blade. 1 hour later and I am fine now, no discomfort. Next time I will have to eat a little more before I have it. Thanks again Judy, this is a winner.

TrinidadScorpionBUTCH.jpg

TrinidadScorpionBUTCH-Interior.jpg

nice one michael! i think your becoming immune! so , new favorite huh? the one drawback with these is the stomach fire. for me it's worse than any other chili i've tried. i'm still gonna grow plenty of these! well , there was no screaming and flopping around. oh well maybe next time!LOL.

nice one michael! i think your becoming immune! so , new favorite huh? the one drawback with these is the stomach fire. for me it's worse than any other chili i've tried. i'm still gonna grow plenty of these! well , there was no screaming and flopping around. oh well maybe next time!LOL.

Thanks Ed, I had to lie down on my kitchen floor to try and calm my stomach down. It did not work. Pain lasted for a good 20 minutes. Worst pain in the stomach of any chile although Buddy's 7 caused discomfort that lasted longer. Still have a huge regular scorpion to contend with.

Ya for me as well, the stomach pain after trying a small one was pretty damn extreme. Mine is not a butch T... I have no idea what it is but it destroyed my stomach :(

Thanks Ed, I had to lie down on my kitchen floor to try and calm my stomach down. It did not work. Pain lasted for a good 20 minutes. Worst pain in the stomach of any chile although Buddy's 7 caused discomfort that lasted longer. Still have a huge regular scorpion to contend with.

I'll have to watch later... sound not working on this computer at the moment. Read your review though. I too, think it's not as hot as the Jonah but it still causes intense pain when eaten raw. While I can feel some minor discomort after eating any of the super hots raw, none I would say cause pain (I tend not to eat whole ones though... :cool: ). The TS, however, without fail makes my urine burn. No other chilli does this to me, only TS. Whether eaten raw, cooked in a meal or even after using Hippy's Skobiyan sauce. Maybe I'm just a freak.... :lol: It's not as bad as the burn when you forget you chopped up some chillies before taking a leak, but you can definitely feel it.

Wow, great job mate!

And congrats on handling the TS Butch T so admirably.

I just watched the vid of Neil from THSC eating one of those last night, and those puppies are HOT!

Just curious to know if your sense of taste will leave you for a day or so and how your endorphin rush rated with some of the other top tier Super Hots you have tested.

You definitely have my respect for having the grit to eat even a half TS Butch T pod.

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

Ya for me as well, the stomach pain after trying a small one was pretty damn extreme. Mine is not a butch T... I have no idea what it is but it destroyed my stomach :(
For me it has a lot to do with what and how much I eat before hand. I am still experimenting to see what works best to keep the stomach in check. Popcon is working good so far, kept the douglah in check for the most part. I put a BJ on my hamburger and did not get a wink of discomfort. And a few of the 7's also did not make my stomach unhappy. Eating them raw mixed with food also has never been a problem, just straight up. I hope I figure it out before my stomach makes me give up superhots.

I'll have to watch later... sound not working on this computer at the moment. Read your review though. I too, think it's not as hot as the Jonah but it still causes intense pain when eaten raw. While I can feel some minor discomort after eating any of the super hots raw, none I would say cause pain (I tend not to eat whole ones though... :cool: ). The TS, however, without fail makes my urine burn. No other chilli does this to me, only TS. Whether eaten raw, cooked in a meal or even after using Hippy's Skobiyan sauce. Maybe I'm just a freak.... :lol: It's not as bad as the burn when you forget you chopped up some chillies before taking a leak, but you can definitely feel it.

Great something to look forward to tomorrow morning.... Hahaha. Yea it is getting hard to discern between all these superhots. They are all ultra hot in there own unique way. Since the sevens burn my throat that bothers me the most and I associate that with being hottest. This Scorpion was not as uncomfortable to me yet the burn was more complete and hit a lot more places.

Wow, great job mate!

And congrats on handling the TS Butch T so admirably.

I just watched the vid of Neil from THSC eating one of those last night, and those puppies are HOT!

Just curious to know if your sense of taste will leave you for a day or so and how your endorphin rush rated with some of the other top tier Super Hots you have tested.

You definitely have my respect for having the grit to eat a whole TS Butch T pod.

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

Thanks Doug,

None of the chiles I have tried have caused me to loose my sense of taste yet. The next day my tongue does feel a bit exfoliated (like what your foot feels like after rubbing it with a pumice stone) or like it got a very mild hot coffee burn but I can still taste fine. I would be really bummed it I lost my sense of taste. As for the endorphin rush, I have not really noticed it the way others describe it yet either. Once or twice (buddy’s 7 (Jonah?) stands out) I think I have felt a calm come over me, but never giddy and seeing hallucinations or any like that. I think a whole Douglah would do it, but that is not my goal at this point. I am really just sharing my tasting notes with everyone. I am trying to figure out the chiles I like the best so I can grow them in the coming years. Once I find 10 or so I love, I can settle down and start enjoying other thing like cooking with them, drying and making sauces and purees. (And sending pods out to new chile heads to give back a little)

Nice review. I haven't grown this one yet but have some seeds for next season and looking forward to tasting this one.

The best stomach shield I've found so far is a good helping of some cheese grits. :)

still haven't managed to germinate seeds of these from nova. =(
Good luck, I know the superhots can be challenging to get started. This will be my first year trying from seed. Although I will still buy a few plants from CCN just in case. I am going to be starting a few more than I need just to be sure I get a strong and healthy one.

Nice review. I haven't grown this one yet but have some seeds for next season and looking forward to tasting this one.

The best stomach shield I've found so far is a good helping of some cheese grits. :)

Thanks SS, I was pretty surprised how nice it tasted. Most of the reviews I have seen about scorpions said they are too hot to taste or have a strong chemical taste. I still have a regular and much bigger bonnet shaped T. Scorpion from Judy to try so I will be able to contrast against that one. Grits…. I don't know that I have easy access to them and I would not know how to prepare them either. I always wondered what they were like. I do eat a lot of hominy which I understand can be used make a variation of grits. I think even mashed potatoes would work nicely to absorb and buffer that capsicum. I will have to give it a try.

As always a great review. I hope to try one of these sometime. Don't think that I'll do the Douglah, but this one looks like it has potential.

You're in Texas and don't have access to grits? :shocked:

I would expect it to be sold in every grocery store, simple to prepare (just add to boiling water with a little salt), and directions usually are printed on the package. ;)

Chunk up some cheddar and blend it in just before it's ready and you remove it from the stove.

FYI, grits are made from hominy. :)

Good luck, I know the superhots can be challenging to get started. This will be my first year trying from seed. Although I will still buy a few plants from CCN just in case. I am going to be starting a few more than I need just to be sure I get a strong and healthy one.

from what i've been seeing plants from CCN don't always grow true. so good luck with that.

the seeds i got were from dried pods. so those won't exactly germinate real well.

Back