Another Newbie

Hey all. Just signed up yesterday and I'm glad I found this forum. I bought a house last year and finally have the space to grow some peps. I started out with the 5 variety pack from Burpees (Cayenne, Jalapeno, Hungarian, Serrano, and ??) which I started in peat pellets. Out of the 12 plants, I got 7 Cayenne, 3 Hungarian, & 2 Jalepeno. The damn seeds all looked alike when I sowed them and I had no idea what I was getting until it was WAY too late. The peat pellets didn't work too well either...the mesh didn't break down in the soil so I had floppy plants all season long. That's two mistakes I'll never make again...no variety pack & no pellets.
This year I'm sowing some of the same varieties this year but all were purchased separately and I added an Habanero to the mix. We'll see how things go this season.

Welcome!

That's two mistakes I'll never make again...no variety pack & no pellets.

While I do agree with you, I thought I would point out that you're supposed to either remove or at least split open the mesh on peat pellets before planting. I don't start peppers on peat pellets because they don't like to have their roots disturbed, but I do use them for flowers and greens and such.

Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. To answer POTAWIE's question, I hail from the 'burbs of Philly, PA (good old Zone 6).

Back