• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yaargh's 5gal DWC grow log

Alright, here's my go at growing a Trinidad Scorpion Morouga and a 7pod SR in 5gal DWC "bubbler" buckets. I started the seeds in rockwool and transplanted into 5gal buckets with leftover STG filler. I am using foxfarm "growbig" as a growth nutrient and will switch to the flowering nutrient whenever. The plants are under a 250w HPS lamp.

I recently topped the plants out of curiosity and will upgrade to a darkroom for higher lamp placement and to cut down the glow from the lamp on my tv...

Here is where they are at as of now.
_MG_3227.JPG

How do you like the Sure to Grow media? Have you used the STG starter cubes? If so how is the price compared to Groton grow plugs?

Those leaves are so dark green it makes me want to add them to a salad. :)

Appreciate it.

wow the plants are lovin what you are doing do you have one pump for the 2 buckets?

I have one 10gal aquarium air pump going. Just one of those cheap blue ones.

How do you like the Sure to Grow media? Have you used the STG starter cubes? If so how is the price compared to Groton grow plugs?

STG media works as described but it can be expensive. I still have yet to utilize other filler media. Yeah, I tried out the starter cubes, I feel that they are a bit too flimsy for my liking. Rockwool has shown to be a bit sturdier, however, rockwool can easily fall apart if cutting in 1/2 for a cutting. As far as I've seen rockwool is by far cheaper.

This doesn't have to do with my hydro project but I'm wondering what to do with my potted plants on my balcony. I'll cut down the plants and bag them up for garbage chute but what should I do with all the soil, considering the fact I live in an apartment? Just toss it or are there other options I can't think of?

This doesn't have to do with my hydro project but I'm wondering what to do with my potted plants on my balcony. I'll cut down the plants and bag them up for garbage chute but what should I do with all the soil, considering the fact I live in an apartment? Just toss it or are there other options I can't think of?

The plants look nice and those are two of the hottest. The SR strain may be my new favorite super hot.

You could go through the process of screening and storing used potting mix, but it's probably easier to just dump it. Offer it to someone with a in ground garden or dump it in a flower bed. How much are you talking about? And by the way, if you put the plant bits in plastic bags they'll be at the landfill for a very long time. If there's no way to get it to a greenwaste or compost pile, can you throw it in w/o a bag, or in paper? It sounds like hydro is much better for your situation. Have you considered expanded clay? It's easy to wash and reuse and the only waste that will be leftover will be plant bits and used up nutrient solution.

The plants look nice and those are two of the hottest. The SR strain may be my new favorite super hot.

You could go through the process of screening and storing used potting mix, but it's probably easier to just dump it. Offer it to someone with a in ground garden or dump it in a flower bed. How much are you talking about? And by the way, if you put the plant bits in plastic bags they'll be at the landfill for a very long time. If there's no way to get it to a greenwaste or compost pile, can you throw it in w/o a bag, or in paper? It sounds like hydro is much better for your situation. Have you considered expanded clay? It's easy to wash and reuse and the only waste that will be leftover will be plant bits and used up nutrient solution.

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask a co-worker if he needs some potting mix. I might be able to talk him into building his own compost pile.

I did consider expanded clay and kinda wish I had. But, I saw STG advertised on youtube and figured shipping costs would be minimal as STG weights relatively nothing. I also did not want to rinse the clay. Still, for it's reusable quality, I will be using it once my STG fill runs out.

Alright, been pressuring myself for awhile now. So, I went ahead an ordered the grow tent. It's a 4x4 that's about 6.5ft tall. It'll fit snuggly where by current rack is. The old rack I can utilize for germinating I suppose although I hardly germinate that many seeds to begin with.

Yeah. I have some fans. No in-lines or ducting. Course, the immediate purpose for this tent is to raise my light and to be able to close off the light's glow when watching a movie. It won't be closed all the time, certainly not long enough to fry my plants. But, long term plans would include proper ventilation.

Those leaves are so dark green!! Is that from the nutes or the light? How close do you have the light to the top of the plants?

Those leaves are so dark green!! Is that from the nutes or the light? How close do you have the light to the top of the plants?

Thanks, the plants are pretty healthy atm. Green leaves.... I guess it's combination of light from the HPS bulb and the nutrients? The lights right now are about 1ft from the top of the leaves.

Here's an update. The HPS light makes for an intense dark orange-ish hue when photographed.
_MG_3253.JPG

Gah, it's been a few days but I'm finally back on. I don't know what is up with my old log-in. Couldn't log in one day so I reset the password and it just did not work. So I made this new log-in and had to wait for an admin to log in and process my validation.

Anyways, I received the grow tent the other days and popped in the HPS light and plants. It's a relief to finally get my lamp up higher and to watch a Blu-Ray on my LED tv in darkness, makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

I'll post a picture to show the growth. The topping I made earlier on the two hydro plants has produced multiple new tops. I might need to jam a tomato cage over them if they get terribly bushy. One plant decided to grow it's stem sideways so that could present a problem later. However, my Hot Cherry I grew earlier did the same and it was a non-issue. Time will tell.

Here's that picture
_MG_3289.JPG

Back