Hi from Ohio

Some of you know me from Garden Webs Hot Pepper forum. This will be my 3rd year growing peppers. My first year my goal was to cross a Jalapeño with a Habanero and I succeeded. All seeds I had to give away or trade are gone for this year, the parent plant is still alive and should produce more peppers this year along with more seeds to give away!

Here is a pic of the hybrid Jalabañero.
hpim0531_133.jpg

I have a couple more hybrids I am hoping come out this year, will have to wait n see though.

Congrats! Wow, they like like refrigerator magnets.

they are indeed beautiful looking pods! what is the flavour and heat like? do they retain a regular jals crunchiness? are these better red than green? what is the germination period like? have you tried chipotle-ing them?

welcome to THP and greetings from the land DownUnder!

Mark

Welcome from the great white north, eh. I seen your posts on gardenweb, that's a cool plant you got. It will be interesting to see the different varieties from the f2's and from all the growers you sent seeds to.

chilliman64 said:
they are indeed beautiful looking pods! what is the flavour and heat like? do they retain a regular jals crunchiness? are these better red than green? what is the germination period like? have you tried chipotle-ing them?

welcome to THP and greetings from the land DownUnder!

Mark

Green ones have a heavy Jalapeño flavor with a hint of Habanero flavor. Ripe ones have a slight Smokey Habanero flavor. Ripe and Green you can taste both peppers. The heat builds up from Medium Hot to Very Hot. I forgot to take a picture but the guts of the green peppers were white, the guts of the ripe peppers were all red. Some pods were actually hotter than a Habanero. The walls were medium thick, pretty crunchy.

I preferred them green, I hope the F2s are close to the parent plant. I planted 13 seeds and only 1 hasn't sprouted yet. They all sprouted within a week 1/2" deep in seeding mix. Didn't have enough to do much with. Made a sauce with Garlic and vinegar which went fast. And I made a seasoning out of the rest.

Also this pepper made a grown man cry! He only ate a green one, whole.... he spit it out too....

and Thank You!

Web_Of_Hair said:
from Toledo, and owns the best video game store in Toledo.

Shameless plug www.vgug.com

And I'll have an F2 or two growing in the front window.
Ah Toledo, I remember it well, been there alot. I'm from Cleveland.

I work for EA Games in Los Angeles :rolleyes:

The parent plant has very few leaves. but has aboot 5 or 6 new sets starting! If it does survive, which I think it will, I'll have it at my store for all to see!

Web_Of_Hair said:
The parent plant has very few leaves. but has aboot 5 or 6 new sets starting! If it does survive, which I think it will, I'll have it at my store for all to see!

Sometimes they do that if overwintered inside. A Grenada Seasoning pepper that I overwintered this year is losing all of its old leaves now that's it's outside, but there are new ones coming out right behind them.

Pam said:
Sometimes they do that if overwintered inside. A Grenada Seasoning pepper that I overwintered this year is losing all of its old leaves now that's it's outside, but there are new ones coming out right behind them.

well my surviving 3 pepper plants I overwintered went through hell. Suffered an extreme pest infestation. and they survived a 'helping a friend' situation. Two Tabasco plants died (as far as I know... After the pests were finally eliminated. They all almost died due to bad lighting situation, all cuz helped a friend in need... Definitely gonna buy a set up to overwinter them easier this year.

the two Tabasco plants might spring back to life from what I read... but I am not holding my breath.

Back