On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,628 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:57 PM

it's not that complicated. 

Different options-

Give the jars a quick rinse to remove dust/etc, then arrange jars in a roasting pan.  Put said pan and jars in a 250F~ish oven for 30 minutes.  This kills nasties and gets the jars hot and ready for filling. 

Grab a jar, fill it with candied goodies,

quick wiggle with a knife or chopstick for the bubbles,

top off with syrup

wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth

lid/cap and off you go~

Using StarSan or other sanitizers is also fine. 

But I would still heat the jars in the oven to help with the sealing process.  If the heated candies are placed in COLD jars, it may be cool enough to cool all the stuff and not get a good vacuum/seal.  If the heated chiles are put into warmed jars and sealed with warmed lids,there is a much better chance that everything will seal properly when the jar cools.

This whole discussion is in regards to just hot packing the peppers and not doing a BWB.  If you want to skip the BWB, then I would suggest doing the other items of using sanitizing wash (can be a simple as a bleach water rinse) , HEATED jars etc. 

Or just put the candied pretties in jars and give 'em a BWB. 

BWB is really really simple and is probably only 30 minutes more added to the whole time it takes to make this stuff...

SL

Edited by salsalady, 28 October 2018 - 08:27 PM.

PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#102 YAMracer754

YAMracer754

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • aka:T-rist

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

For sure, good tips, and yeah I'm very familiar with BWB and pressure canning, just was wondering what I can and can't get away with in regards to *certain* recipes :) would heating woozies before HFH be advantageous for the same reasons you listed above?

it's not that complicated. 

Different options-

Give the jars a quick rinse to remove dust/etc, then arrange jars in a roasting pan.  Put said pan and jars in a 250F~ish oven for 30 minutes.  This kills nasties and gets the jars hot and ready for filling. 
Grab a jar, fill it with candied goodies,
quick wiggle with a knife or chopstick for the bubbles,
top off with syrup
wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth
lid/cap and off you go~

Using StarSan or other sanitizers is also fine. 
But I would still heat the jars in the oven to help with the sealing process.  If the heated candies are placed in COLD jars, it may be cool enough to cool all the stuff and not get a good vacuum/seal.  If the heated chiles are put into warmed jars and sealed with warmed lids,there is a much better chance that everything will seal properly when the jar cools.

This whole discussion is in regards to just hot packing the peppers and not doing a BWB.  If you want to skip the BWB, then I would suggest doing the other items of using sanitizing wash (can be a simple as a bleach water rinse) , HEATED jars etc. 

Or just put the candied pretties in jars and give 'em a BWB. 

BWB is really really simple and is probably only 30 minutes more added to the whole time it takes to make this stuff...

SL

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

#103 YAMracer754

YAMracer754

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • aka:T-rist

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:25 PM

So both products are equally effective then? Really wanna get into homebrewing now that I've been getting down with all the pepper ferments! I see that the starsan is a much more concentrated product and that is mentions "foaming action" which helps clean cracks and crevices but also requires more drainage..

Use 1-Step, it's cheaper and works.

https://www.amazon.c...144282284&psc=1

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Edited by YAMracer754, 29 October 2018 - 01:26 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests