• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finally time to prepare the front garden

Finally I've had time to mow the front lawn and pot up some plants for this grow season.

As mentioned in some other threads, I've finally built some garden beds in the front yard made of a plastic called ewood. Check out the Close The Loop website to read a little bit about it.

Here's some photos I took today:
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG

Now that I've already run out of space in the front yard, I've decided I might as well utilise the nature strip as well, so look out for photos of that once I'm all done! :)

No HOA to worry about, but the city I live in wouldn't tolerate that for half a day. I would love to do that to my front yard, as the back is smaller than a postage stamp.

What country do you live in? Watch out for the law suits if a kid eats one of your superhots.
I'm just wondering how aesthetic it is gonna be when all your plants are fully grown and you can't see your house behind all the chillies. Also, how will you keep the grass down around all your pots? I hope you have a good whipper snipper.

Lookin fantastic there Milkman :cool:
We are going to need this sort of thing with our scorching summers.
Hey cheers for the link on the plastic wood you used. Man could have done with this link a couple of weeks ago, just about finished a backyard raised bed(3mtrsx4mtrs) and ended up using limestone blocks and nearly killed myself.

Have a great Summer
Micca

Milkman is in Aussieland. Those beds are pretty cool dude, I want to see the yard in 6 months when you cannot see your house anymore. Also, whats in the backyard?

Lookin fantastic there Milkman :cool:
We are going to need this sort of thing with our scorching summers.
Hey cheers for the link on the plastic wood you used. Man could have done with this link a couple of weeks ago, just about finished a backyard raised bed(3mtrsx4mtrs) and ended up using limestone blocks and nearly killed myself.

Have a great Summer
Micca

The limestone blocks will change the pH of your soil over time, you are going to have to test it now and then.

Milkman is in Aussieland. Those beds are pretty cool dude, I want to see the yard in 6 months when you cannot see your house anymore. Also, whats in the backyard?

Grass ;)

The design of new Australian neighbourhoods sees all the houses pretty much slapped together with stuff all backyard space. My block is only 550m2, which is not much at all, so the house takes up the majority of the space. Add to that the fact that my house faces 10 degrees north means I get minimal sunshine in the backyard, where as the front of the house gets about 12+ hours of sunlight.

Yeah I miss the old days when I was growing up and everyone had huge backyards. Now developers cram five tiny "houses" onto an old block of one with a paved driveway and no green space. In Australia the one thing we have lots of is S P A C E and sunshine!! Right now I live in a crappy little duplex on an acre block. Most of the backyard is taken up with piles of tin and timber and shipping containers, but there is a font garden and a back garden and room for expansion. :woohoo:

Cheers for the tip Megamoo.
I have lined them about half way up the block with black plastic, but will keep an eye on it.

Man, it is getting so hard to find a decent size block of land these days. 550m2 and i'm sure most of that is house!
Now I can only dream about an Acre, the size of my block is around 850m2 and with around 300 plants i'm thinking about growing on the roof :eek: or maybe I should stop planting more(yeah right).

Micca

Actually I read Chillies like growing in slightly alkaline soil so it shouldn't be a problem. Over a season with rain and watering the limestone will keep the pH up. I'd just do a pH test every month or so to see what its doing. You definitely shouldn't have to add any dolomite to the soil. I think that's what will happen.. if anyone knows different please post :)

Wow what a great setup!! Why have grass when you can have chili's! I'm surprised more people don't convert their front yards into sustainable gardens. I know if I had a yard it would be covered with all kinds of fruits and veggies!

Most people will only ever steal 1... :) ...

I was thinking about growing them in the front to see if anyone would take one, but I wouldn't be able to have the satisfaction of watching them in agonizing pain when they ate it at their house!! But ya they would definately only ever take 1!!!

Beds look great, MM. Question though. How close together are those beds? Looks like a tight fit inbetween when the plants grow up. At least for me. ;)

I hope you have a great season and keep up posted. Our season is ending fast here in the states and we need you Aussies to give up something hot to look at.

jacob

Back