• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Homemade Datil sauce recipe

Here's a real easy datil sauce recipe.

2 cups chopped datils stem removed and some seeds
3 cups white vinegar
4 cups of a good bottled ketchup
note on our home recipe we also add 1 cup of molasses

place datils and 1 cup vinegar into blender till smooth.
Place mixture in saucepan add datils & the vinegar plus the the rest of the vinegar & ketchup and if you like the molasses. Bring to boil and simmer about 10 minutes.
Let cool & place in jars. We let it age around a week if possible before we start eating it.

This is a St. Augustine tradition and everyone has there own version. We got ours from an old minorcan woman.
Enjoy
Great on fried fish.
Mick
Kato's

I agree it seems to be almost like a BBQ sauce
Not sure where these recipes started but all the traditional style datil sauces I've tried are these sweet tasting sauces that are more of a spicy ketchup. We sell several Tastebud datil pepper sauce, Dixie Datil datil pepper sauce, Crackerhouse datil pepper sauce, Datil Dew Inferno datil pepper sauce, they all seem to be basically the same sweet with a little datil bite the sweetness kills off whatever heat the datil supplies. I've read all the ingreadient lists and while they are a little different they all have a rich tomato base, sugar, and vinegar We just have in our recipe used ketchup instead of trying to sweeten up tomato's for the base but the result seems to be about equal.
Good catch DD however simple this recipe seems it is still very good and tastes great on Fried seafood.

Mick
Kato's

kato said:

3 cups white vinegar

Place mixture in saucepan add datils & the vinegar plus the the rest of the vinegar & ketchup and if you like the molasses. Bring to boil and simmer about 10 minutes.
Let cool & place in jars. We let it age around a week if possible before we start eating it.

This is a St. Augustine tradition and everyone has there own version. We got ours from an old minorcan woman.
Enjoy
Great on fried fish.
Mick
Kato's

Thanks brother...going to try em when the plants start producing.

Rock on,

Primo

Primo,

I'm not sure if I thanked you for your letter. But here it goes Thanks.

We found the information very helpful.

Try the datil sauce recipe first without the molasses and try it on fried seafood.

Mick
Kato's

It is a C. Chinense a cousin of the habanero with a bit more of a fruity flavor. Very common in our area.

I have a few pics of them when I get a little time I'll post a pic.

Mick
Kato's

datilri4.jpg

datilheinrkb7.jpg

kato said:
Primo,

I'm not sure if I thanked you for your letter. But here it goes Thanks.

We found the information very helpful.

Try the datil sauce recipe first without the molasses and try it on fried seafood.

Mick
Kato's

No problem brother...thank YOU for everything! :lol: I'll be sure to let you know how things go...so far so good...Looking like 100% germ!

Rock on,

Primo

3 cups white vinegar

Enjoy
Great on fried fish.
Mick
Kato's

Every once-in-a-while I'll look at what threads are getting ready to fall into oblivion. I saw this post and, since I'm growing Datil this year, thought I'd save it.

I saw Mick logged in not too long ago, so Thanks for the recipe Mick. Sounds interesting.

Add some rub and brown sugar and it's officially a BBQ sauce , which I think I'll do this weekend :) thanks !!

Got some datil from cappy , might smoke some ribs and fish and try it with this recipie this weekend !

Back