• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermented Habanero-Manzano Mash

Here's some pictures of a recent pepper mash combo I'm experimenting with, to get some depth of flavors with a moderate heat level.
The ingredients include...

DSCF0399-1.jpg

After reading up on the different starters used by born again fermenter's, I decided on whey to kick start the process.
I have used whey in the past to make Kim Chi and traditional sourkraut, and its never resulted in a bad batch.I find its very easy to use,requires a minimum of effort, and is as available as the nearest grocery store.
DSCF0388-1.jpg
DSCF0390.jpg

DSCF0393-1-1-1.jpg
After harvesting enough whey for this batch,
I return the container of yogurt to the fridge, and by tomorrow morning an additional 2-3 TBS of whey will have separated from the solids.

I then chopped all the ingredients in a food processor,and put the mash in a fermenting jar with air lock.
DSCF0405.jpg
DSCF0406-1.jpg
DSCF0402-1.jpg

The initial pH test strip results show more than 3.6 but clearly less than 4.0.
I plan to open the fermenting jar after two weeks and see if the pH level has changed(which I really hate to do because then oxygen gets to the mash)

Wow CM! This is the EXACT process I was gonna try! Maybe I'll wait a few to see how yours progresses.

Good Luck! :pray:

so you strain away the solids? if not whats the final consistency like?

Not sure of how the OP does it, but after sitting for nearly 2 months or longer fermenting all the "solids" are not so solid anymore. I put in a blender and blend then cook down to the consistancy I want. Doing it this way gives me a consistancy I have never been able to obtain making a traditional sauce cooking down using vinegar.

jacob

where did you get the black rubber for the lid. that looks real nice and clean. I like how you put the airlock onto the white lid. Do you know the size to get.

Can you tell me how to do it?
Greetings TB
I get the air locks($1.00 ea) and rubber grommets ($.45 ea) from Leeners.
http://www.leeners.com/wine-fermentation-airlocks.html
Actually, they sell them with their beer making supplies.

There are other suppliers that carry them also, but leeners has a very reasonable shipping rate, and I normally get my order is 2 days
The lid, is Ball brand plastic storage lids.(reg.& wide mouth)
(package of 8 are around $2.50)
After drilling a 1/2 inch hole in the lid, simply fit the grommet into the hole.
They work great,are cheap to make, and as long as I don't over fill the jar, pretty much fool proof.

CM

Hey CM,

Anything happening yet?
Greetings DR:
Some very tiny bubbles became visible around the 4th day and I detected an ever so slight movement of the mash.(almost sloth-like in nature)
The distinct colors from the purple onion,tomatillos and carrots have pretty much disappeared and have been absorbed into the mash.
The bulk of the mash has risen towards the top of the jar, with a more "fluidy" pulp of mash remaining at the bottom inch or so.
As I expected,the actual fermenting activity is slow and not very robust in this recipe.
And as a result, I reluctantly had to open the container yesterday and remove some white mold that was beginning to form on the surface of the mash,(common in open crock methods)but it smelled good,just like a bunch of habanero's
Afterwards,I added about an ounce or so of brine distilled water to the top,re-sealed the jar,and on we go.
CM

LOL, nope it didn't kill him though he has been AWOL for a while. One thing to note about harvesting the whey as he did, don't throw away the left over solid. Instead use it as you would cream cheese. It'll be about the same consistency and WAY better tasting.

Cheers

Back