• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests weird bug

I was wondering if anyone knew what a bug was, I know I dont have a pic to show you yet.
the bug looks wicked, its about 1/4" - 3/8" long about 1/8" tall has 6 legs & its black on both ends with the middle section of the body being orange color with a black dot in the middle of the orange area, & the whole back of it has like little spikes on it.
I dont know if I should kill them off since if they'll eat the little white bugs (which it seems like I just cant get rid of :shocked: )
is there a safe way to get rid of bugs on plants & that will work ? w/o using pesticides or am I kinda stuck using pesticides ?

If it's the type I think it is. Use isopropaline alchohol (wait didn't I type this in another thread) soak q-Tip to wipe them off the plant and onto the ground, the squish them dead.

Sounds like a nasty little critter. Without a pic of the bugger, not enough information to assimilate into the collective. Do like my lawyer advises me for getting rid of everything...start drinking heavily

tx blues - I'm already kicking back a few, but not because of the bugs but because a day off & I just bagged a 21 lbs tom (turkey) with a 9" beard & 1" spurs this morning :shocked: not bad for the very 1st time turkey hunting :hell:

That's great chilehunter! Oophtah!! 21# turkey with 9" beard is a whopper for Minnesota I would think...don't ya' know. You going to just breast him out or going to the taxidermist? Ya'll up there have it great. Walleye season i.e. another day off, should be coming up soon eh?

I just skinned him out I'm gonna smoke the turkey this weekend & I saved the tail/beard/spurs for mounting. as for fishing its not my kind of thing to do & yea I know I live in the land of 10,000 lakes but fishing isnt interesting to me.

chilehunter said:
I was wondering if anyone knew what a bug was, I know I dont have a pic to show you yet.
the bug looks wicked, its about 1/4" - 3/8" long about 1/8" tall has 6 legs & its black on both ends with the middle section of the body being orange color with a black dot in the middle of the orange area, & the whole back of it has like little spikes on it.
I dont know if I should kill them off since if they'll eat the little white bugs (which it seems like I just cant get rid of :mouthonfire: )
is there a safe way to get rid of bugs on plants & that will work ? w/o using pesticides or am I kinda stuck using pesticides ?

Could be box elder bugs, I know we those up here. Is this the critter? If it is it won't eat other bugs and it feeds on tree leaves.

boxelderCU.JPEG

chilliman64 said:
if unsure just kill them

NO!

He's been having difficulty controlling some kind of insect pest on his plants, what if these are the beneficials that will help him get those bugs under control?

Honestly, that looks like a stink bug. If you pick it up and then put it down, see if your finger tips smell like ass.

Sickmont said:
Honestly, that looks like a stink bug. If you pick it up and then put it down, see if your finger tips smell like ass.

yer thats the pic...but not an accurate pic of what original post is describing from chilehunter

Pam said:
NO!

He's been having difficulty controlling some kind of insect pest on his plants, what if these are the beneficials that will help him get those bugs under control?

what if they're not?

chilliman64 said:
what if they're not?

That's why he identifies them correctly before taking action. If it's a lady bug larva, it really could take care of the bug problem he's having. If they're a kind of stink bug, he'll still want to know if it's a pest species or a beneficial predatory species like the two spotted stink bug (http://tinyurl.com/ytr9bv).

schneider - no its not a boxelder bug, I know those bugs since they're everywhere in this state & get in your house every fall.

bent - the link you showed didnt have a pic of it, but I didnt look through all the choices either since I dont even know where to start & dont want to look at each choice one by one (to much time using dial up) I wish there was a website that had a method to search for what bug you had Ex. choose the colors then choose the size the choose the numbers of legs etc.... & then they'd give you some choices to choose from to identify the bug.
but so far the sites I've seen you need to know the species of bug your dealing with 1st to figure out what the bug is, if I knew that then I might not be even asking "what kind of bug is it"

I dont even know what ladybug larva looks like, but theres ladybugs in the house. the bug in question is about the size of 1.5 ladybugs no hardshell & only a 1/16th high 1/8th wide 3/8ths long

pam - you're the one, thank you very much for showing others (top pic)& assuming you know the bugs name since you posted a pic of it. I'm assuming its called harmonia larva since thats the properties name. & the ones I have those last two sections where the orange is, that was full orange leaving just a black square dot surrounded by orange.
now what the heck is it ? is it a good bug or bad bug ? I tried to take a pic of it before but my digtial wouldnt zoom in close enough & get a clear pic

Back