• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tonly's 2011 grow log

2010 was my first season of growing anything other than the common jalapenos, serranos, etc. I have big plans for 2011. I'll try to document it here. There are so many top rate gardeners and photographers here that this will pale in comparison.
I have some random pics posted here from 2010: My link

I have my first seeds down and several plants overwintering that I'll take pics of soon. Still working on my grow list for 2011. So many peppers, only so much room.
Toby

Nice pics. This was my first year growing peppers, too, and I am also planning on expanding my list for next year, though it won't be as extensive as your own. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for looking. I love my greenhouse. The barrels are filled with water and help moderate the heat. It is really cheap to heat. The biggest problem is keeping it cool enough to use in the summer. I need some shade cloth and some type of swamp cooler or misting system. If anyone is thinking about building one, go for it. Just make it twice as big as you think you'll need.
T

The biggest problem is keeping it cool enough to use in the summer. I need some shade cloth and some type of swamp cooler or misting system.
T

Yea the shade cloth and misters sound good. You might also be able to move the electrical for the exhaust fan and put in a half door below it. Then you can open that and the full door for a cross breeze. I don't know how much that is going to help in the middle of summer though.

Yea the shade cloth and misters sound good. You might also be able to move the electrical for the exhaust fan and put in a half door below it. Then you can open that and the full door for a cross breeze. I don't know how much that is going to help in the middle of summer though.

I guess there are no pics to show it but, the vent louvers in the west end wall are connected to a 2 stage thermostat. They open on a first stage call then when stage 2 calls a fan (I think it's a 1600 cfm) on the east end wall runs. That really creates quite a breeze thru the whole greenhouse.
Don't have much experience with swamp coolers and misters. My understanding is they work pretty good in dry climates. Gets fairly humid here. I really didn't have much use for the GH during the summer this year. As soon as weather permitted everything moved to the great outdoors. If my hydro experiments expand, I would need then like to use the GH for that in the summer. Always a new project it seems!

Wow a ten ft high pepper plant! Great job. I have always wondered if those large greenhouses with the white plastic let in enough natural light, it appears you have some high wattage bulb in there as well from one of the pics that I saw. Could you grow in there all year round or do you have to move them outdoors for more light? Anyways great job, I am looking forward to your 2011 grow log!

Wow a ten ft high pepper plant! Great job. I have always wondered if those large greenhouses with the white plastic let in enough natural light, it appears you have some high wattage bulb in there as well from one of the pics that I saw. Could you grow in there all year round or do you have to move them outdoors for more light? Anyways great job, I am looking forward to your 2011 grow log!

The plastic is actually fairly clear. There are 2 layers that are inflated with a small blower. The plastic is supposed let something like 92% of the light pass through per layer. The light is a 400 watt metal halide. Only need it when the days are short or extended cloudy weather. Also use it to work out there after dark. Also just bought a 6 bulb T5 florescent light to try out. I think the seedlings are gonna like it.
That 10 foot tall Aji Amarillo finally decided to set pods in October. They all froze.

Took some pics of the plants I'm trying to over winter. Most of them were pruned back and dug out of the garden on October 26. So, just about a months worth of growth. At the rate they are growing, I'm gonna run out of room before spring arrives. Should I keep pruning them back through the winter?
Here's a few pics. The rest can be seen on photobucket: My link

The Yellow 7 Pods
DSC_0004.jpg

This Yellow 7 lived in this container all year
DSC_0007.jpg

Dorset Naga
DSC_0026.jpg

Cumari ou Passarinho I didn't save any seeds from this so, I hope it survives. Nice pepper.
DSC_0020.jpg

Big Sun Habanero, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, and Chocolate Habanero
DSC_0027.jpg

Lots more pictures at Greenhouse update

Little over a month earlier than 2010 season for starting seeds. We'll see how this works out.
The varieties that went in tonite are:

Turbo Pube
Yellow Bhut
Assam Bhut
Brown Bhut
7 pod Barrackpore
Douglah
T.S. Morouga Blend
Trinidad Large Yellow 7 Pod
Aussie T.S.
Aussie Red 7 Pod
T.S. Red
Yellow Scorpion SR
2 other Yellow Scorpions

I'm havin' too much fun! :woohoo:

Haha overwintering plants and sprouting new ones at the same time :rofl: I love it. Thanks for the info, would love to have a green house like that someday.

18 more varieties of seed planted tonight. :crazy:
White Hab
Red Savina
Peruvian Gold 238052
Caribbean Red
Harold's St Barts
Peach Hab
Big Sun Scotch Bonnet
Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Big Sun Hab
Orange Hab
Chocolate Hab
Paper Lantern
Trinidad Perfume
Fatali
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Big Bang Naga

Thanks for looking. I love my greenhouse. The barrels are filled with water and help moderate the heat. It is really cheap to heat. The biggest problem is keeping it cool enough to use in the summer. I need some shade cloth and some type of swamp cooler or misting system. If anyone is thinking about building one, go for it. Just make it twice as big as you think you'll need.
T

You are so lucky to have the greenhouse. I am stuck having to rent a little square in a community garden with limited access to a short summer. and they give you a different spot every year so can not build up the soil which is terrible.

However, if you have heat problems the easy first step is to turn the greenhouse into a high tunnel. Thus you roll up the sides and the wind blows right through the green house. You basically have an umbrella over the top. These are getting very popular. I think Univ of Penn does a lot of research on them. you can get info online.

Tabby B, there are a few of those high tunnels here at the U of A. Only seen them from the road but look like they are all single layer plastic. Not sure how to adapt that design to the double layer inflated type. I think I can solve the heat problem with shade cloth, mist, and ventilation.

Here's little harvest from the greenhouse today. Fatali, Thai Dragon, some small Datil, and unknown bird pepper type.

DSC_0001.jpg

How do you heat your GH?

I have a 30,000 btuh blue flame natural gas heater. I had a 10,000 btuh which was plenty but it quit working and couldn't find another on short notice.
One issue with this type of heater is they have an oxygen depletion sensor. My GH is pretty airtight and when it's very cold and the heater runs for an extended time, it will shut off the pilot light. I'm going to duct in some combustion air for it. Should solve that problem.
Without using any heat, the greenhouse will stay about 17 to 22 degrees F above outdoor temps overnight.

Back