• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Jalabanero page is up

Is your goal to produce a new strain? As in produce a reliable open pollinated jalabanero?

I think it's an interesting idea.

Yes Pam that is my goal! And my plan this year is to try and cross a Naga Morich and a Purple Jalapeño! Even if I don't manage to make a reliable open pollinated Jalabanero, I don't mind cuz I know I was successful at crossing the two peppers. I think I read the peppers have to go through 4 generations (as long as they don't cross again) to become a pure strain. It's almost an obsession, but also just trying to make it more fun than just growing the same old peppers n stuff everyone grows.

Two friends are gonna help me clone the parent plant, something I tried last year and failed. This year though I have the plant inside with very little chance of cross pollination. I just wish I could find more information aboot making Hybrids.

WOH - it sounds very interesting that you're crossing those 2 chiles. what do they taste like ? another question is why those 2 kinds of chiles ?

Green ones have a heavy Jalapeño flavor with a hint of Habanero flavor. Ripe ones have a slight Smokey Habanero flavor. Ripe and Green you can taste both peppers. The heat builds up from Medium Hot to Very Hot. I forgot to take a picture but the guts of the green peppers were white, the guts of the ripe peppers were all red. Some pods were actually hotter than a Habanero. The walls were medium thick, pretty crunchy.

why these two? I liked them both the most. The flavor and heat.

Before I started growing my own peppers two years ago, this is my third year growing, I didn't realize the mass amount of different peppers available! I have all kinds of varieties growing this year, for the room I have.

I found another picture of the ripe Jalabanero pods
HPIM0585.JPG

P_Schneider said:
I did this accidentally one year. Jalapenos right next the Caribbean Reds. Those were hot Jalaps that year! :cool:

Well to have the hybrid/cross, you needed to plant those seeds (if they actually crossed). Be sure to check the Other Plants section when it's up. I'll have a few of my other projects from last year. Including my 2nd attempt at a Cayenne/Habanero cross. The Thai/Tabasco cross and the Tabasco/Cayenne cross.

Guitargod, I might be kind enough to mail a few peppers later this year (just pay for shipping) (even though you work the company that stole the NFL.....;) )

and Thank you Potawie for that link. Didn't see right away what I was looking fr but I'll look more at home when I have time. Since this year I have a good variety of peppers, it'll be hard to figure on what I wanna try and cross. Also what plants to overwinter.

I'm planning on experimenting with making some hybrids this summer and have two questions.

I keep reading that to get the hybrid you have to plant the crossed seeds but I also see postings from people that say they had unexpectedly hot peppers from cross pollination. Which is right? Or does it mean when you cross pollinate you get the mixed pod but then to have the mixed plant which will grow these pods you need to plant the seeds? Is the cross pollinated pod a good preview of what the plant will produce when the seeds are planted?

Second, in the example of the jalepeno/habenero cross does it matter which you choose to be the male and which the female? What I mean is are there any *expected* differences when choosing the jalepeno to be the male vs choosing it to be the female?

Disaster!

I forgot to water some plants today and left them in a window that gets near full sun, 2 plants died all together and another one looked withered almost to death (starting to perk up after late watering). Also 3 plants I had potted up don't look all that hot either right now, close to death with 1 1/2 leaves left alive..... Oh how I wish I had enough room in the window at my store, those plants (mostly pictured) are doing great.... ahh well.. maybe not to late to replant a few seeds

all white habanero gone, all lemon Habs gone... Scotch Bonnet barely alive.. Well my Tabascos were very near death and turned out OK... Crosses fingers....

RedThumb said:
I'm planning on experimenting with making some hybrids this summer and have two questions.

I keep reading that to get the hybrid you have to plant the crossed seeds but I also see postings from people that say they had unexpectedly hot peppers from cross pollination. Which is right? Or does it mean when you cross pollinate you get the mixed pod but then to have the mixed plant which will grow these pods you need to plant the seeds? Is the cross pollinated pod a good preview of what the plant will produce when the seeds are planted?

Second, in the example of the jalapeño/habanero cross does it matter which you choose to be the male and which the female? What I mean is are there any *expected* differences when choosing the jalapeño to be the male vs choosing it to be the female?

the seeds must be planted from the pod that you cross pollinated. From what I understand you pollinate the plant that you want to have more dominant genes. Some genes are recessive, less than 25% chance of the Jalabanero F2 pods will be orange like the original Habanero that I crossed it with. The F2 peppers may be extremely different from the F1, depending on the genes of each pepper that recesses. The cross pollinated pod should look like an oddball pepper compared to the others.

P_Schneider said:
I did this accidentally one year. Jalapenos right next the Caribbean Reds. Those were hot Jalaps that year! :)

I thought even if you grow different chiles next to each other, the pods for that growing season will still hold true to their original genetics & heat level. but the seeds in those pods might be a crossed chile version that'll show its unique traits if you plant those seeds.
is this correct ?

chilehunter said:
I thought even if you grow different chiles next to each other, the pods for that growing season will still hold true to their original genetics & heat level. but the seeds in those pods might be a crossed chile version that'll show its unique traits if you plant those seeds.
is this correct ?

You could be right. It may have been the next year after I did that the Jalaps were hotter than usual. I normally don't use seed when I stick them all together in the garden but I might have for jalapenos since I rarely have anyone ask me for seed on those. When I raise plants for seed I usually keep them separated from the rest to keep them pure but it's been a couple years since I had to restock my seeds.

ok I'll ask again (I asked this in another thread) whats a safe distance to have plants away from each other to prevent cross pollination ? & please dont say 1 mile!! I'm just looking to lessen the risk of cross pollination would you think 50 yards is plenty distance.

willard3 mentioned something about cheesecloth to cover the plant & it wont bring harm to the plant will under the cheesecloth, is this true & what is it & where can you buy it ?
& what about using elmers glue when would you put the glue on the flowers ? right before they open up or when ? does the glue make it alot harder for the pod to form or does the glue bring any harm to the pod ?

chilehunter said:
ok I'll ask again (I asked this in another thread) whats a safe distance to have plants away from each other to prevent cross pollination ? & please dont say 1 mile!! I'm just looking to lessen the risk of cross pollination would you think 50 yards is plenty distance.

I think it's 500 feet, but I'm not home to look in my books.

willard3 mentioned something about cheesecloth to cover the plant & it wont bring harm to the plant will under the cheesecloth, is this true & what is it & where can you buy it ?

Most any fabric store or hobby ship should have it, but cheesecloth is too porous. I recommend either high quality tulle , the stuff used for brdal veils, or go to your local army navy store and get some mosquito netting. Make a loose sleeve that is closed at one end and will fit over a branch. Pick off any open blooms, put the sleeve on, and duct tape the open end to the branch.

Hm, I better get some of my sleeves back. They work well as caterpillar protectors for the monarch butterflies, too.

chilehunter said:

& what about using elmers glue when would you put the glue on the flowers ? right before they open up or when ? does the glue make it alot harder for the pod to form or does the glue bring any harm to the pod ?
Sorry to say it, but 1 mile is the standard that I've heard over and over and over again. 50 yards is no where near enough. Cheese cloth is fine and won't harm the plants. You should be able to find tthat at a garden store or at Home Depot.

Back