• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Something is at my plants...

I'm not sure what's having a go at my seedlings. I have seen aphids on them but only a handful, and I kill them off as soon as they appear. I do this by finding them and squashing them, I've not used any pesticides yet. These pics show the worst of the damage, although most of the plants just have minor damage. Some of the plants appear to have a tear in the leaf, like the leaf is brittle or something. But as you can see in the pics it looks like a grub has had a good chew on them, although I have been over the plants with a fine tooth comb and can't see any grubs etc. There are a couple little spiders in there but after reading around this forum spiders don't seem to be a bad thing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The plants don't seem to be too fussed and are growing strong, it's more that I need to know what's going on here!

Thanks in advance! :)

could be anything really but i have had some of my plants look like that from ladybugs ive seen them eating them

Put them outside and wash them good with a little dish soap and warm water. Your neighborhood food chain with take care of the pests most likely.

Thanks I'll give them a wash and hope that works. As a side note, I have 5 purple flash plants that are completely unaffected...maybe not as tatsy for the critters perhaps? ;)

Tiny tiny little caterpillars? I've had some insanely small and camouflaged ones before that have caused damage like that.

could be anything really but i have had some of my plants look like that from ladybugs ive seen them eating them
Honest, I've seen them! :lol:

Seriously though, so have I! But I didn't want to say anything in case people thought I was crazy! :crazy:

I didn't think ladybugs ate plants!?

First thing to do is check the underside of the leaves, all of them. That is where most nasties hide during the day. And really check as some caterpillars are so green you will overlook them. On second pic I am seeing some fine webbing!

White oil them and go from there,

Do you have a cat?
No, why do you ask? :lol:

A quick update- I've found a few tiny grubs, but it only takes a few to do damage. The aphids are still around but I'm getting rid of them as they appear. It's taken a while but some help from nature has arrived!

46799855.jpg

My plants are looking healthy although the flowers are falling off. I'm working on that with less watering but in 35 (95F)degree heat they droop easily. I'll keep at it, I need some chillies!

Honest, I've seen them! :lol:

Seriously though, so have I! But I didn't want to say anything in case people thought I was crazy! :crazy:

I didn't think ladybugs ate plants!?

Yeah the giant (like double the size of normal ladybugs) 28 spotted lady bug lives almost exclusively on the solanum family, which includes tomatoes, potatoes, capsicum and nightshade planrts. Nightshade family are the main host to them so if you have any of the nightshades in your garden its good to leave them there because they prefer them to all others. You can either catch them on the nightshades and kill them or just leave them be.

Hard to say from the photo but that ladybug looks like one of the good guys.

No, why do you ask? :lol:

A quick update- I've found a few tiny grubs, but it only takes a few to do damage. The aphids are still around but I'm getting rid of them as they appear. It's taken a while but some help from nature has arrived!

46799855.jpg

My plants are looking healthy although the flowers are falling off. I'm working on that with less watering but in 35 (95F)degree heat they droop easily. I'll keep at it, I need some chillies!

From a friend that works on a seedling nursery ( I had the same small round holes) They are commonly made by Earwigs - an omnivorous bug that eats a certain part of the leaf and other bugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig

The uneven holes would be from the catapillers

From a friend that works on a seedling nursery ( I had the same small round holes) They are commonly made by Earwigs - an omnivorous bug that eats a certain part of the leaf and other bugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig

The uneven holes would be from the catapillers

Interesting Wiki page. I see plenty of earwigs if I have to move anything that sits on the ground for a long time. My plants are all in pots and get moved often so I never see earwigs near them, but under the cover of darkness who knows?

Cheers for all the input everyone :D

Yeah the giant (like double the size of normal ladybugs) 28 spotted lady bug lives almost exclusively on the solanum family, which includes tomatoes, potatoes, capsicum and nightshade planrts. Nightshade family are the main host to them so if you have any of the nightshades in your garden its good to leave them there because they prefer them to all others. You can either catch them on the nightshades and kill them or just leave them be.
Yep, judging by your description, thems the ones! Got a nightshade outside that they all hang out on and feast on and have big orgies on. No word of lie, the other day I saw at least ten pairs of the little buggers all getting busy on the swingers tree.... :shocked:

Back