• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Lamb vindaloo - a great Indian dish ...

I love Lamb Vindaloo....NYC has some great Indian Restaurants,really missing the food scene since I moved on/out!

Among my favorites also  are Chicken Tandoori & Lamb Briyani...&  of course Naan with raita...love that food...healthy too with all that garlic/tumeric/ginger etc.

Well,I do my versions here :) ...but load up on the take away when visiting NYC..
Yum!

The Hot Pepper said:
Lamb Vindaloo - a great Indian dish, influenced by Portuguese cooking in India .... A sweet, and very hot red curry, with tender pieces of lamb. One of my favorites.

icon_smile.gif
Dude-Wheres-My-Car-And-Then.jpg

Reporting back and it was good. Not quite as special as it was made out to be and honestly not too different from an extra hot madras. Still thoroughly enjoyable.
Interestingly different to the Naga Phaal I had, where the creaminess of the curry knocked down the heat to only a touch higher. Definitely preferred the vindaloo, the Phaal was just too bitter.

Definitely preferred the vindaloo, the Phaal was just too bitter.

Im not big on overly bitter curries but i do love sambar with a nice amount of tamarind. In the restaurants around here some makhani or tikka versions are more sour depending on if its northern or southern Indian styles. Some are more creamy or use more cashew ect.

Getting the tomato to cook down correctly will reduce the bitterness or even using a different kind of tomato really helps. I often cheat when making curries with a heavy tomato base and just "doctor up" premades such as MTR brand to my tastes.

A restaurant near me makes the most delicious goat and i love their chicken makhani. Over the years ive seen their goat curry go from medium heat to almost wild in heat.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Getting the tomato to cook down correctly will reduce the bitterness or even using a different kind of tomato really helps.

Tomato is not usually in a curry unless you mean a specific one. In jalfrezi yes if you call that a curry but not used in most others.

Oops okay you meant for this:

ShowMeDaSauce said:
some makhani or tikka versions

Vindaloo and phall, no tomato though.

Yeah you can find recipes that have tomato in it for phall and I am sure vindaloo but normally not in there. Recipes are often someone's interpretation of a dish, right or wrong, but tomato not usually in curry.

You can probably find a "Texas" chili recipe with beans too. :P lol.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah you can find recipes that have tomato in it for phall and I am sure vindaloo but normally not in there. Recipes are often someone's interpretation of a dish, right or wrong, but tomato not usually in curry.

My sister's somewhere on the border between hating tomato and being allergic to it. I wish the local takeaways saw things your way.

I don't put tomato in any of mine with the exception of makhani. (butter chicken or mutter paneer)  My first introduction to curry was in Japan. I fell in love at first bite. After returning to the states i used nothing but S&B curry roux. It took many years until i tried Thai, Jamaican and Indian curries with far more heat and intense flavors than Japanese or Korean curries.....There are still quite a few days though that a mild bowl of Kare-raiseu is on my dinner plate. I add a nice shot of vadouvan masala to mine though.

The first time i bit into a green cardamom pod i cringed. Now i look forward to the surprise. :D

It's definitely not the mouth destroying power it once was for me either but, when I feel the distinctive crack of a cardamom shell, I know it's time to stop biting down. I'd rather cook with the seeds than the pods myself, even if there does seem to be some unspoken rule against that.

The pod is like the bay leaf to Western cooking. Usually a curry will only have one or two, sometimes it's fished out, other times, when you bite it, you get a cardamom rush, either way, good stuff.

Back