• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Just a beginner need some advice please.

Hi all,
I have a cayenne that is growing, fruiting and very healthy. I noticed little white bugs crawling about in the soil, lots of them. They are not on the plant itself. Should I be worried?
I tried searching for advice but to no avail, just thought some of you hot pepper gurus may have some very welcome advice,
Ta..K

kas said:
Hi all,
I have a cayenne that is growing, fruiting and very healthy. I noticed little white bugs crawling about in the soil, lots of them. They are not on the plant itself. Should I be worried?
I tried searching for advice but to no avail, just thought some of you hot pepper gurus may have some very welcome advice,
Ta..K

Is this plant in a pot? Indoors or out? What's your general geographic location if it's outdoors?

How little is little? Do they have wings, a hard shell, or do they look wormish?

Hm, springtails, maybe? Do you see them the most right after you water?

Sorry I cant post a picture they are too small.
The plant is in a pot, indoors.
They probably about 2mm across.
Dont think they have wings but they do a little jump if you go near them.
They are pure white and look kind of wormish as in they are long and thin.
I am going to water shortly so ill check out the after watering appearance.
Is there anything I should be checking around about the plant????

kas said:
Sorry I cant post a picture they are too small.
The plant is in a pot, indoors.
They probably about 2mm across.
Dont think they have wings but they do a little jump if you go near them.
They are pure white and look kind of wormish as in they are long and thin.
I am going to water shortly so ill check out the after watering appearance.
Is there anything I should be checking around about the plant????

It sounds like they're springtails. Usually they won't hurt a plant, they feed on decaying plant material in the soil. However, if you have a very high population, sometimes they will nibble the roots of your plant.

Most control measures suggest drenching the soil with an insecticide, but there's no information that I could find about what to do for a vegetable plant being housed inside. Maybe a drench with soapy water will control them, or you can let the soil dry out between watering. Springtails like moist conditions.

You can google on "springtail" and get lots of information and pictures.

POTAWIE said:
What kind of soil are you using?

Just an organic compost I picked up from the local supermarket, is that not good? I seem to have a lot of chiles on one plant so I thought I had been doing ok for a beginner, maybe that was a little premature, haha.

Pam said:
It sounds like they're springtails. Usually they won't hurt a plant, they feed on decaying plant material in the soil. However, if you have a very high population, sometimes they will nibble the roots of your plant.

Most control measures suggest drenching the soil with an insecticide, but there's no information that I could find about what to do for a vegetable plant being housed inside. Maybe a drench with soapy water will control them, or you can let the soil dry out between watering. Springtails like moist conditions.

You can google on "springtail" and get lots of information and pictures.

So will they die in dry conditions, or will they hop on to my other plants? And how does letting the soil dry out affect the plants fruiting? Sorry for all the questions its just I am a wee bit proud of my plant and would be sorry to do something to damage it...thanx

Ah...letting the soil dry out will just make your peppers hotter! Now, don't leave it alone for a month...keep an eye on it. A little dry wilt isn't going to hurt, but I'd water at the sign of it.

I've also heard that using about 6-8 jalapeƱo peppers blended with a 2 pints of water makes a good spray!

kas said:
Just an organic compost I picked up from the local supermarket, is that not good? I seem to have a lot of chiles on one plant so I thought I had been doing ok for a beginner, maybe that was a little premature, haha.

You'd probably be better off with a lighter more well drained soil. Try using a peat-based mix with perlite and/or vermiculite or blend your own. Bagged compost on its own can have lots of critters and holds lots of water, especially in pots.

kas said:
So will they die in dry conditions, or will they hop on to my other plants? And how does letting the soil dry out affect the plants fruiting? Sorry for all the questions its just I am a wee bit proud of my plant and would be sorry to do something to damage it...thanx

Don't ever apologize for asking questions, we were all beginners once, too. Be sure and google on springtails and compare the pictures to what you have. It *sounds* like springtails, but I'm just making a best guess based on your description.

They can move to other plants that are still moist. If you're planting in compost, they're probably busy helping it compost further by eating the rotting organic matter. As long as the plants look healthy, I don't think I would try anything drastic like potent pesticides, but you might get some Safer Soap or mix your own soap solution and drench the soil. Mix 1 to 3 teaspoons liquid dish soap with one gallon of water.

I just went out and bought some peat free stuff too, ok lesson learned. Peaty compost and let the plant dry a little, but not a lot.
I googled the little blighters and I think you are right Pam, Springtails it seems like, you can read some really bad stories about these mini invasions, eating through your home and all sorts (although it seems to be in warmer climes than that of here in Scotland)...?

Looking forward to making the Jalapeno spray when I grow my own too, just planted some seeds....

Many many thanks, appreciate it, cayenne coming on strong looks like its going to have a hundred strong peppers on it, sensational,

Kas

HaHa,do you get the same reaction when people see Albuquerque, never been, however your friend here is right you should go for the WHISKY!

if you want some type of organic bug spray go buy some pods and make a pepper spray now, don't allow bugs to party on your plants as they can reproduce very quickly.

my advice (Pam - don't read this) is to get some bug spray and blast the crap outta them

btw kas - welcome to THP and welcome to the life long obsession of being a chilehead!

Mark

chilliman64 said:
if you want some type of organic bug spray go buy some pods and make a pepper spray now, don't allow bugs to party on your plants as they can reproduce very quickly.

my advice (Pam - don't read this) is to get some bug spray and blast the crap outta them

btw kas - welcome to THP and welcome to the life long obsession of being a chilehead!

Mark

Hi Mark, when you say some pods, what do you mean, any particular kind im no to sure. I was reading somewhere about garlic too??:lol:
P.S I love your wee dancing chilli man,
Kas

kas said:
Hi Mark, when you say some pods, what do you mean, any particular kind im no to sure. I was reading somewhere about garlic too??:lol:
P.S I love your wee dancing chilli man,
Kas

Here's a recipe for a homemade insect spray that uses cayennes.

All-Purpose Insect Spray recipe

1 garlic bulb, chopped or ground
1 quart water
1 small onion, chopped or ground
1 tablespoon liquid soap detergent
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Mix garlic, onion, cayenne pepper and water; add liquid soap detergent. Store in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Pam said:
Here's a recipe for a homemade insect spray that uses cayennes.

All-Purpose Insect Spray recipe

1 garlic bulb, chopped or ground
1 quart water
1 small onion, chopped or ground
1 tablespoon liquid soap detergent
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Mix garlic, onion, cayenne pepper and water; add liquid soap detergent. Store in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Be sure that you are not using anti-bacterial liquid soap!

Back