• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Your opinion

The subject is the Naga Morich and the goal is to work on any harshness in the Naga's natural flavor

• Raspberry.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Strawberry.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Banana.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Kiwi.

• Blueberry.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Cherry.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Cantaloupe.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grapefruit.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Lemon.

• Lime.

• Apple.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Pear.

• Orange.

• Watermelon

• Total voters
As far as MY knowledge goes, I think the apple helps tone the "intensity" down of the NM. BUT, I like the flavor of the Naga. Sure, there are peppers I like MORE than the Naga, but I dont mind the "intensity" of it. It lets you know its there. lol

I choose blueberry, just because it seems like an unlikely additive, but then again you were able to go against popular wisdom with the watermelon.;)

The blueberry with it's natural sweetness and strong antioxidant qualities as well as it's blue coloring could very well make for a very interesting hot sauce.

dvg

you pulled off the watermelon thing so any on the list would work. i did one this year with mango, rice vinegar , ginger and a bit of brown sugar. that stuff was gone in a matter of days but it did hide the peppery cap flavour well.

I'm new to making sauces and have only made a few. But I recently copied one from this site with grapes and used the Naga Morich, and it turned out really good.

I choose blueberry, just because it seems like an unlikely additive, but then again you were able to go against popular wisdom with the watermelon.;)

The blueberry with it's natural sweetness and strong antioxidant qualities as well as it's blue coloring could very well make for a very interesting hot sauce.

dvg
That would make an odd colored sauce. Purplish I believe. Throw in 2 grapes to make the name "2 grapes from hell"

Definitely a good suggestion on fruit. Thank you.

With most hot sauces on the commercial shelf either being red, orange or yellow in color, a purplish blue colored hot sauce would definitely set you apart from the competition, at least visually.

If it was tasty as well, you might have a viable contender for a niche market of open-minded consumers.

dvg

Another fruit that goes hand in hand with chilli is Tamarillo or tree tomato.
Works best if tamarillo dominated with a fruity spice added to taste.
Caped goose berry is another.
Just thinking out loud :crazy:

Another fruit that goes hand in hand with chilli is Tamarillo or tree tomato.
Works best if tamarillo dominated with a fruity spice added to taste.
Caped goose berry is another.
Just thinking out loud :crazy:

Some interesting thoughts there Smokey Mick.

Your post got the wheels spinning in my head, especially with your idea of using tamarillo, which comes from the same family of plants as the chile pepper, namely the Solanaceae family.

The Solanceae family provides many important food crops, but it also contains plants which have a dark side, the deadly nightshade plants.

Some of the nightshade plants are not only poisonous, but also very psychoactive and hallucinogenic, when used in very low concentrations, thus giving them the names 'Witching Plants' or the 'Hexing Herbs'.

Now since I've noticed a lot of reference to the occult or supernatural in hot sauce labels, such as the words, 'Devil', 'Evil', 'Ghost Pepper', perhaps a 'Witch's Brew' could be concocted out of the harmless, edible members of the Solanceae family.

Some of the plants to choose from might include: eggplant, sweet potato, tomatillo, tamarillo, tomato, sweet pepper, hot chile pepper, wolfberry or goji berry, to name a few.

For more information on edible Solanaceae plants for a so-called 'Witch's Brew', check out this link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Solanaceae-Wolfberry-Aethiopicum-Naranjilla/dp/1156809991

Just me thinking out loud also, but maybe some food for thought? ;)

dvg

The apple i`ve found{my opinion} really works ,tried papaya , mango , pineapple and wild cherries.Plums were good too! DeHy the apples with a few scorps and such a good taste,shrooms too!

Now that I know what you are doing after a little reserch, I voted Kiwi fruit.
The slight bitter taste should go well in a sauce.
What about Kiwi, lemon/lime and Palm sugar?
I use Palm sugar in a lot of my SE Asian cooking. It is a real friend that has such an original Asian / Islander flavour.
I add it to any sauce im making when I want that authentic flavour.

I voted for raspberry. Think that sounds pretty good. I would try to strain out all the little seeds for a sauce though.

To me nagas taste kind of apricotty or green applish so I think these fruits might really compliment a naga sauce

dvg

So I had 30 Naga Jolokia left and decided to use them. Can't wait until next year when I harvest. These I bought through a trusted source and froze before thinking to get seeds, but have some others I obtained for next year. Carrot, Naga Jolokia, Lemon Juice, Blueberry, and Sugar. Got 5 full and 2 I filled half.
100_0616.jpg

100_0617.jpg

1 full jar went to Pepp3rfreak and he had his eyebrows sweating. So 1 jar is missing here.

I don't use Nagas with fruits. I just toss 100 in my electric juicer unit and drink the pepper juice straight up. Doesn't everyone? :)

Back