• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Saving Seed for 2010 and What to do with the "shells"

this post crosses a couple of different forums so I just decided to put it here...

I was collecting seed to save for next years crop and had all these empty pepper shells to do something with...

here are two varieties I saved...

Big Sun Scotch Bonnet...

BigSunScotchBonnetSeedStock120310.jpg

Trinidad Congo

TrinidadCongoSeedStock120310.jpg

I hate to waste a pepper....soooooooo...I made poppers...my standard recipe...mexican 4 cheese, chunk chicken breast, "Slap Ya Mama" seasoning stuffed into the berrys then wrapped in bacon..

120310a007.jpg

grilled to perfection...

120310a008.jpg

ready to eat with a shot of Senor Frogs tequila...

120310a011.jpg

dang these were delicious if I do say so myself...

like I said, I hate to waste a pepper...got some bhuts and 7 pot to make tomorrow and maybe some scorpions too...

AJ, those there poppers are lookin' mighty scrumptious from my vantage point.

Just curious though, do the peppers lose any heat at all through the cooking process.

I know i could eat them, but i doubt anyone I know could handle the full heat of one of those peppers unless it was diluted down by quite a bit.

dvg

I removed the "cap" of the pepper and it had the capsaicin glands in it so theoretically, yes, they lost some heat...none of the placenta was removed and that is where the heat is IMO...

The stuffing is where the heat goes so it is spread throughout the popper...so I will say the heat is diluted a bit but still plenty to go around...the scotch bonnets have a wonderful taste, especially with the bacon and cheese (of course anything is good with bacon and cheese)...the burn was mid mouth and the sides of the tongue...the Trinidad Congos had a "back o-ma throat" burn and was hotter than the scotch bonnet but not nearly as tasty...

Great looking Poppers. I need to up the amount of non-super hot peppers I grow next year so I can enjoy more of these. Did you notice in the bottom of the picture, that the toothpicks you used leeched out their green coloring into the cheese stuffing. (or is the toothpick still in there and you just cut it in half?Kinda strange if it did bleed. What are the toothpicks made of?

Oh and are these off the BBQ Grill or the broiler in the oven.

I recently made Bhut and Scorpion poppers and gave the scorpion to my brother. I honestly thought we were going to fight, he was seriously pissed at me. The following day we went fishing and after he dropped a firery load off the side of the boat a couple times, I thought we were going to fight again! haha But hey, at least his fire-turds didn't scare the fish away!(which was my only concern LOL)

Kinda strange if it did bleed. What are the toothpicks made of?

Don't know about the pick, but I'm sure it's just food coloring.

Edit: and if you're looking for non-super hots and like the C. Chinese flavor, I was very happy with the Venezuelan Sweet Hab and the Yellow Scorpion CARDI. One's sweet and one is very hot, but tolerable.

Nice looking poppers AJ, and hot stuff for sure.

thanks all...

yup...the green color is food coloring from the wooden toothpicks I used...I figure I have eaten (and drank) a lot worse in my time...there used to be this girl.....oops...wrong thread... ;)

Great looking poppers AJ, I need to try that recipe. Might substitute some Sam Adams for the tequila though. :lol:

I was reading on the internet last week about cooking food. Anyway they talked about the bacon and said it was sort of addictive. There is something in there that people like. Anyway they were laughing that in the restaurant industry they said if it does not taste too good just add bacon!

I used to eat bacon all the time. My whole family loved bacon. I just thought it was interesting that it has an addictive property and the food industry is very well aware of it.

That is why they add bacon to so many sandwiches in the fast food industry. Just look closely. They are all using bacon.

Back to the thread. Best looking poppers I ever saw. Make me want to rush over to your house and chow down. I thought my pizza for the football game was hot today. But these look like my next week football game munchies.

Back