• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well it is official?????

I still dont think there is any credibility of Warwick. Just my $.02.
I just found this on Yahoo though....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101203/sc_yblog_thelookout/worlds-hottest-pepper-is-hot-enough-to-strip-paint

Guinness was listing the Infinity Chili before that. I bet they see $$$ in the extra publicity too. I'm not buying it. How do you do a 3-way cross anyway?

Guinness was listing the Infinity Chili before that. I bet they see $$$ in the extra publicity too. I'm not buying it. How do you do a 3-way cross anyway?
ya how u cross three which one is which .... what came from what ... as far as heat flavor... and other characteristics

Until they can show the scientific studies that they did at NMSU Chile Institute, I think they are lacking credibility and I'm not an experienced chile head.

Unfortunately IMO Gerald is like the PT Barnum of the chile world, hes always making claims with some crazy named chile, naga viper , infinity etc.. until he puts it through the same tests as bosland did with the Bhut, I dont believe shit, warwick university hands out 1 million+ scoville ratings like its candy. and Naga Viper isnt really a cool or catchy name it is a redundant one though lol, naga and viper both mean snake.... :confused: hooray for the snake snake chile!! just remeber the news likes a good story and thats all this is a "story" told by a storyteller, which Gerald is well versed in telling storys

just another strain to grow. i remember late 2008 when the dorset naga hysteria was flying around. that one wasn't close to accurate. i'll probably grow this thing if seeds become available but not with expectations of deathly inferno. if it's hotter than 7pod brown i don't think i want it!

See this thread
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19096-is-a-naga-viper-hotter-than-a-bhut/page__pid__405515#entry405515
Another big problem is that it isn't true breeding, so it'll never be the same pepper again

This is a response from Peter Dunn press representative from Warwick University to Dave De Witts Press person.It is also on Dave's website I am copying it to all Naga Viper forums.

"The University of Warwick School of Life Sciences has been asked by a number of growers to test Chillies to ascertain their heat level on the Scoville Scale. Each of those tests has been done as a commercial service to those clients and the University has not publicized or press released any of the results.

One of those clients recently asked us to test a Chilli they described as a "Naga Viper". We completed the test and gave the results to the client. We have since seen a number of media publish those results under headlines that this indicates that the tested Chilli is the hottest in the world.

We also understand from news reports that there has been some interest in having this published as a fact in the Guinness Book Records.

While we cannot release our full report on this Chilli without the commercial clients express permission, we can say that we feel that any result obtained from the Chilli sample that was tested by us should be viewed as only a good indicator that this Chilli could the conditions of entry into the Guinness Book of Records. The sample provided to us was relatively small and, while we do not know explicitly what the Guinness Book of Records testing requirements would be, we would expect that they would require at least one more test with a larger sample and possibly a corroborating test in another lab."

Back