• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Who will be the first to grow the Naga Viper...

This is part of an article I just read this evening. Makes me wonder who will be the first in the USA to grow this pepper.

Yes, the Naga Viper, the latest claimant to the world's-hottest-pepper crown, outdistances its predecessor, the Bhut Jolokia, or "ghost chili," by more than 300,000 points on the famous Scoville scale of tongue-scorching chili hotness. Researchers at Warwick University testing the Naga Viper found that it measures 1,359,000 on the Scoville scale, which rates heat by tracking the presence of a chemical compound. In comparison, most varieties of jalapeƱo peppers measure in the 2,500 to 5,000 range -- milder than the Naga Viper by a factor of 270. Gerald Fowler developed the Naga Viper by cross-breeding three other very hot chili peppers. He used the Ghost Pepper (Bhut Joloika), Naga Morichi, and Trinidad Scorpion varieties to top the capsaicin charts.

Can it be true that the Bhut Jolokia had given up the ghost? Honestly, this might be one to watch. It's all good my friend.

I know of at least one member on here that has seeds. Cant say. Will let the person tell if they want. But, you know, before long, EVERYONE will have them...

Vipers are likely not even near stable so seeds will not grow true for anybody. Every grower will likely have different phenotypes which will lead to hundreds of different vipers :(
Also last year when it was a Trinidad viper, Gerald apparently had some major problems with germination. I wonder if he's worked that out

snacksandsuch would handle that chile way better and wouldn't have vomited all over his computer like that Darth Naga, lol. I don't believe any of the hype on a first year hybrid pepper. :crazy:

Yeah, lets let this puppy settle out a year or two, THEN we'll see how bad ass it is. Like everyone has said, if its supposedly been crossed with 3 peppers, exactly how stable can it be? It would probably take at LEAST 2 more years before it stabilized.
Either way, it would be fun to grow it.

If Hippy tries one and says it's hotter than anything else he's ever eaten then I'll start believing that there may be some truth to these wild claims. But, until I hear it from some "professional" pepper tasters it's just another pepper.

Alan

If you cross two hybrids, every seed will be unique. Every plant grown out of those will be unique and have unique pods.

You need to clone the plant.

Or you need to backcross until the plant is completely homozygous so seed will come true to plant. Or you need to inbreed two plants and cross that. Then you have F1 hybrids, which are all the same.

Back