• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense What Habanero is this?

I bought seed off of ebay and they were sold as bhut's, but when they started to fruit i notice they looked like habanero, so they i went to search for the ebay seller to give him a piece of my mind and wouldnt you know, not an ebay seller anymore.... what a butt!

So they have just turned from green over the weekend, i want to guys to take a look and maybe tell me what kind these are.. Thanks Brian
5fa5a5f1.jpg

eddff361.jpg

19c05aa9.jpg

Well, you're certainly not the first to buy Bhut seeds off ebay and end up with habs. I feel your pain. The exact same thing has happened to MANY people here. It's pretty much impossible to say what kind of habs they are. If they're orange, I would call them orange. If they turn red, I would call them red. Without genetic testing, the best answer you'll get is a guess. It looks like a nice plant though. Lots of flowers too. You should get quite a few "mystery habs" from it. Ebay is good for some stuff, but NOT seeds! There is a pinned topic about seed buying here. I think it's on the "growing hot peppers" page.

Most of the people who bought Bhuts on Ebay ended up getting Carribean Red Habs, and thats what yours look like as well.

There are tons of posts here just like yours, and every other pepper website, happened to everyone.

Yeah, that was my first pepper seed buying ever when I bought those, didn't know about this forum... Now I have awesome seed from legit people like Neil from the THSC and such for 2011... This mystery plant was planted very late in the season.

i would say that that is a Caribbean Red for sure
i have a friend who grows alot of them every year,the Caribbean Red hab was the first fresh hab i ever ate, will never forget that!!

i have good seeds for Red,Yellow,Chocolate,Orange Bhut Jolokia

thanks joe

they do look like caribbean reds, c/r seem to be readily available, i bought 2 plants from homedepot this year and have another one i grew from seed in my dwc.

Yeah, I have grown carribean red and was going to say that but you can't say for sure. That's why I didn't say you have carribean reds. Most red habs look very similar. I would bet someone else got the same seeds as you and are calling them red savina or even bhuts. That's where the confusion starts. There is nothing wrong with growing "mystery habs" and enjoying them. Sucks to be duped either way though.

i wish we can do some disciplinary actions against ebay seeds sellers

Best disciplinary action is to keep anyone you know from buying seeds from ebay, including yourself. No seed sales, they disappear from the site.

There are many reputable chile seed purveyors: don't need ebay.

Chile seed shysters know that there are enough fools on Ebay to make money.

What about AsiaGardens here. He's totally legit. Not ALL are shysters Willard seriously.

Best disciplinary action is to keep anyone you know from buying seeds from ebay, including yourself. No seed sales, they disappear from the site.

There are many reputable chile seed purveyors: don't need ebay.

Chile seed shysters know that there are enough fools on Ebay to make money.

What about AsiaGardens here. He's totally legit. Not ALL are shysters Willard seriously.

:lol: Remember "Lemon bhut" A product of careful cross pollination. Oh but now its a stable mutation. Ok now its the same as a yellow bhut
I also question anyone who doesn't grow or know their own seeds

I know Potawie, BUT he sent me the fresh pods. They were the real deal. I agree not all pods produced from the original '09 saved seed had the exact look. I heard no reports of non-yellow pods though. Butch T said his pods were much like AsiaGardens if I recall. I guess I agree a lot with what Willard says, but I keep in mind the commercial sellers who seem to have little regard for purity of seed stock. I'll just leave their names out here for good reason. lol. I think we know.

He certainly grows and isolates his own seeds. That I know.

Chris

I think he was another victim of Gerald(via CPI), trusting too much in unproven hyped up varieties that he had never personally grown. That is my main problem, when all these new varieties are re-sold without even being grown first. I think he learned his lesson and hopefully he won't be trusting Gerald's info anymore

Well it's gets 1 100w incandescent GE Reveal bulb from the top and a 1 bulb small fluro desk lamp( I think is not even 2" long) shining from the side...

Some one on here said you can't grow with incandescent light at all, and that's how I started 6 of these plants with and that was with just one 150 watt Reveal bulb! So I guess never was an exception for me, all 6 of these unknown plants are still alive, I gave the others away to people I know...

Back