• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Extracts

I finally gathered up everything I needed to produce a wicked extract. Now I have a question....I have seperated the solids (the puree peppers) and the liquid.... Is the solid "mash" still useable for a sauce or anything? or is it pretty much trash?? I thought about making a relish or salsa with it but I think the alcohol content may be way tooooooooooo high??

well my first attempt at making extract was not very good. I boiled it down and never reall got an extract. I reduced it from 500ml to about 75ml. When I boiled it again to try to reduce it farther it was like a pepper spray bomb went off. (Not pretty even with ventilation) I will be trying it again here as soon as I aquire more Grain Alcohol. I'll keep ya posted.....

DEFCON Creator said:
Dyce, be careful man! Here's a helpful, if not a bit cryptic, hint: Cold works almost as well as heat.....................

But the oil never formed....I got a dark red sediment in the bottom of the jar and a pale almost clear liquid on top....No brick red oil floating on top??....Still hotter than then the pepper but I can dip my finger and lick it off with out a flinch...I figured extract would be SUPER hot......maybe my next attempt will work better...

Back