• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Best Non-Extract Sauces

I'm not that fond of most of the extract sauces I've tried. They all seem to have a chemical kind of taste. So I tend to really like the hotter non-extract sauces.

My favorites are:

El Yucateco Extra Hot (Mayan Recipe) - love the fact that there's no vinegar, just great taste! perfect on Mexican type foods

Melinda's XXXXtra Hot & Red Savina - these are my favorite tasting hot sauces that have vinegar in them

Huy Fong Sriracha - this stuff's like ketchup, good on anything, delicious

Blair's Pure Death - yummy, interesting taste, not quite as good as Melinda's though

I'm looking for other suggestions to try. I certainly love heat, but flavor over heat.

Thanks!

In the States, I would give Justaguy a pm. He has several awesome sauces! Hippy's Skobiyan is my favorite, and Scorpion's sauces are good as well. BUT, it costs a pretty penny to get them here.

here's a few names to look up-

Heartbreaking Dawns
Kato's
Marco's Not-Yet-Famous salsa
Dave's Foods Sweet Spicy Girl (member DuvallDave, not really hot but super yummy)Global Warming
CaJohn's
Jim's Mild To Wild
Zane and Zack's (another Washington processor :D )
Danny Cash

And here's a couple other blogs etc that review sauces, etc. Just Scroll through and look for the names.
http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/food/?page_number=2
http://iloveitspicy.com/

Those are just a few off the top of my head. Hopefully others will add to the list.

I really like Marie Sharp's Belizan Heat as well as Beware... Beware is the hotter one but they both taste really great... someone said Marie Sharp's Beware had some extract, but if it does I can't taste it... I think it is more of a natural concentrate if that can be called an extract.... Either way it is really tasty and not real vinegary tasting either...

I ordered some of Justaguy's sauces on some reviews of people here... so I'll let you know what I think of them once I get the shipment...

Thanks for the great suggestions.

If you want wing sauce...you gotta try DefCon...they are great...I have used all of his products and am very impressed...

Creator (John of DefCon) puts out a DefCon Zero also...an extract without any using any keytones in the extraction process...seems he starts with 50 lb O habs to get just a few ounces of the stuff...AND it is mighty hot...I just use a toothpick dipped about 1/4" in the stuff and stir my bloody mary with it...makes it just right...

here's a few names to look up-

Heartbreaking Dawns
Kato's
Marco's Not-Yet-Famous salsa
Dave's Foods Sweet Spicy Girl (member DuvallDave, not really hot but super yummy)
Global Warming
CaJohn's
Jim's Mild To Wild
Zane and Zack's (another Washington processor :D )
Danny Cash

SL, This is a great list! Love your Texas Creek sauces, especially Ghost Fire, and Wildfire Chipotle Hot Sauce! :woohoo: Intensity Academy would be another company to check out for great sauces. Defcon is also awesome!

I really like Marie Sharp's Belizan Heat as well as Beware... Beware is the hotter one but they both taste really great... someone said Marie Sharp's Beware had some extract, but if it does I can't taste it... I think it is more of a natural concentrate if that can be called an extract.... Either way it is really tasty and not real vinegary tasting either...

I ordered some of Justaguy's sauces on some reviews of people here... so I'll let you know what I think of them once I get the shipment...

I bought some Marie Sharp's Habanero pepper sauce, because of some positive comments I'd read on this forum.

It wasn't bad, having both a smokey aroma and flavor and wasn't too vinegary, as a lot of the other hot sauces locally available are.

The best one I have found on the store shelves has been 'Acid Rain' by Hatari Bros.

According to the label, this was a 1st Place Award Winner at the 2000 Fiery Food Challenge International.

@Zokambaa, Marie Sharp's Beware has Capsicum Oil listed as the first ingredient on the label.

http://www.unclebig.com/ecomm/proddetail.php?prod=MAR503_Marie_Sharps_Beware_Habanero_Pepper_Sauce&cat=33

dvg

Yeah I noted the Capsicum oil... but it is not nearly as hot as extracts I've had.. nor does it have that chemical taste..... I wonder if it is just dehydrated Habanero juice residue/oil or something or if they just use a better way to get the Capsicum oil... I'll have to see if I can get them to respond about it on their Facebook page or something

It is still one of my favorites and I can use a tonn of it without stomach issues

Acid Rain is something I might pick up since the Hatari bros. are right here in Calgary and I buy stuff out of their "Some Like it Hot" shop off the Deerfoot Trail and Mcknight in town here....

What kind of flavour is Acid Rain... I'm not a huge fan of the chipotle and cayenne blends....

I've not really found the Hatari Bro sauces I've tried to be all that hot...(ones rated at 8 or 9 were maybe a 5 or 6 I would think.... although they have some new naga one and red hab or savina or I believe... the older Indian dude down at the shop said he likes a number of the ones he recommended but he thinks the Naga one is too hot for him...

I don't think I am ready for the nagas yet though...

I bought some Marie Sharp's Habanero pepper sauce, because of some positive comments I'd read on this forum.

It wasn't bad, having both a smokey aroma and flavor and wasn't too vinegary, as a lot of the other hot sauces locally available are.

The best one I have found on the store shelves has been 'Acid Rain' by Hatari Bros.

According to the label, this was a 1st Place Award Winner at the 2000 Fiery Food Challenge International.

@Zokambaa, Marie Sharp's Beware has Capsicum Oil listed as the first ingredient on the label.

http://www.unclebig.com/ecomm/proddetail.php?prod=MAR503_Marie_Sharps_Beware_Habanero_Pepper_Sauce&cat=33

dvg

Acid Rain Hot Sauce has six different peppers listed as the first ingredients.

http://www.unclebig.com/ecomm/proddetail.php?prod=AR4_Acid_Rain_Hot_Sauce&cat=28

Ingredients: Habanero, piquin, ring of fire, peri-peri, tepin and jalapeno peppers, garlic, ginger, spices, salt, lemon, lime and orange juices and vinegar.

It smells like a pizza sauce and tastes like a jazzed up Campbell's Tomato Soup.

There are spices listed in the ingredient's list, but I'm not quite sure what they are specifically.

It is about as hot as most of the other habanero hot sauces I've tried.

dvg

There are spices listed in the ingredient's list, but I'm not quite sure what they are specifically.

dvg

Ah, the undisclosed "spices" on a recipe label to protect their proprietary blend. Gotta love it.

I guess some of the more Italian type spices, since you say it smells like pizza sauce.

BTW, It's supposed to reference any of these:

Allspice, Anise, Basil, Bay leaves, Caraway seed, Cardamon, Celery seed, Chervil, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander, Cumin seed, Dill seed, Fennel seed, Fenugreek, Ginger, Horseradish, Mace, Marjoram, Mustard flour, Nutmeg, Oregano, Paprika, Parsley, Pepper, black; Pepper, white; Pepper, red; Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Star aniseed, Tarragon, Thyme, Turmeric.

According to: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.22

The Naga Viper and Naga Mama from the Chile-pepper company are both great tasting supper hot natural sauces. Although getting them to the U.S costs a bit they were well worth it.

Review of Naga viper by Leo

Back