• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jolokia Experts

These are some pods I have acquired, I was told they were “Ghost” however they look a little small to me. Maybe just a “Small Bhut” not from the U of NM strain. Could it be a Phiringi Jolokia?

hot.jpg

those looks like Carribean reds, sorry man.

Although not as pungent, C.reds are still a good pepper to have.

Yeah, definitely not a jolokia/naga. I agree they look like Caribbean reds, which are often sold as jolokias/nagas on ebay/amazon and some low quality seed vendors.

I also agree that Caribbean are a nice chile though.

+2.

Where'd you get them?

I don't know it could be the grow conditions... Take a look at this picture,

IMAG0172.jpg

All seeds came from the same pack (could have been a mixed pack) all the peppers had the same heat level, more or less, and they all had the same flavor. The only difference was the quality of soil they were planted in.

It is true though that even my small ones do not look like yours. You have smoother skin and less dimples.

It is true though that even my small ones do not look like yours. You have smoother skin and less dimples.

Yeah exactly. I have some tiny pods from bhuts that I brought inside and there is a very noticeable difference in texture. There's just no way those are bhut jolokias/nagas. Those are most definitely carribean reds, or some type of red habanero.

My guess is you got them from E-bay?
Tonnes of people got Caribbean reds instead of nagas/bhuts off E-bay scams last season.

The second pic(Mesatrin) looks like maybe some sort of bhut or bhut cross.

So here is the quick story. People in the office know that I have a pepper addiction, and they sometimes help me with it. Recently, a friend from India, brought me some “King” Chili seeds he got from his father for me. I had a shipment of seeds come in from the U of NM. (I wanted to grow them side by side to see and compare them. I was told that the native Jolokia from the Tejpur(Assam)region were smaller and than the ones from the U of NM.)

Anyway, Yesterday a girl in the office was shopping at Central Market in Plano and came across these and bought them for me.
They are marketed / grown by Uesugi Farms in Gilroy Ca.

UESUGIS-.jpg

Back Clam Shell

back1.jpg

A quick Google search looks like they also grow pumpkins and are in the argi-entertainment business.

What confused by was they are a lot smaller than I expected and more like the Philiringi Jololia that Frontal Agritech offers.

They might think they are ghost, perhaps they got dupped on Egay as well, but those are not ghost. Every "fake Jolokia" thread I've seen, on every pepper forum, has always been a Carribean Red. And I think I've seen over 100 threads of people who ask "is this a Bhut Jolokia?", with a Carribean Red in the picture. Do a search, you'll see, I think you're like the 5th person this week.

Yeah, all of those (except for the ones Mesatrin posted) are definitely not jolokias/nagas. Someone should email or call that company and let them know that they're selling a falsely advertised product before more people get duped. In fact, I may do it tomorrow. Of course, they may say you're wrong or just not care anyway. It must really suck for all the people who spend an entire season growing something they think is a bhut jolokia that turns out to be a fairly ordinary habanero.

I would be really leery of any company that advertises something as "ghost pepper" in general. It's a misnomer and no one who knows much about chiles ever really calls them that unless they're talking to people who otherwise wouldn't have any idea what they're talking about.

So here is the quick story. People in the office know that I have a pepper addiction, and they sometimes help me with it. Recently, a friend from India, brought me some “King” Chili seeds he got from his father for me. I had a shipment of seeds come in from the U of NM. (I wanted to grow them side by side to see and compare them. I was told that the native Jolokia from the Tejpur(Assam)region were smaller and than the ones from the U of NM.)

Anyway, Yesterday a girl in the office was shopping at Central Market in Plano and came across these and bought them for me.

UESUGIS-.jpg

Back Clam Shell

back1.jpg

A quick Google search looks like they also grow pumpkins and are in the argi-entertainment business.

What confused by was they are a lot smaller than I expected and more like the Philiringi Jololia that Frontal Agritech offers.
Ha! I've seen those same peppers at both of the big grocery chains in MN. I also googled Uesugi Farms and all I could find was a "pumpkin patch" to bring kids to (field trips and such). I couldn't find anything about peppers or anything else that they grow and sell except punkins. I would guess that they don't even know they are falsely selling something. At least I hope not! I tried to tell the manager at one store that they were not ghost peppers but she insisted that they were. :rofl:

I am going to the CM in Fort Worth today to buy some things I can't get at my regular grocery store (fresh turnip greens and purple hull peas). I will look at the pods they have there and see if they have any "ghost peppers".

About 2 months ago, I was in CM and saw the same pods as you got labelled "Ghost Pepper". They were, in fact, CRs or a look-a-like CR. I told the produce manager: You know those are not Ghost Peppers...he said which ones...we walked over to them and he looked...then said yup, you are right, not Bhut Jolokia...and he knew they weren't because I had taken him some Bhuts last year and earlier this year as samples for him and he remembered the pod shapes and texture.

It used to be at CM that the local stores produce manager could buy from the local farmers when they wanted....now you have to go through the regional produce manager/buyer.

Its just a shame that the regional produce buyers dictate what the local stores sell IMO.

UESUGIS-.jpg

Back Clam Shell

back1.jpg

You should marry that girl :P.

Just got back from CM and was very surprized to see Naga Jolokia...they are from Denmark...hell, I sure could have saved them some money...and no, I didn't buy any... :lol:

Naga Jolokia hmpfffff...they look like a Naga Morich to me...

NagaJolokia.jpg

Back