• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

White rum - scotch bonnet drink

Hi. After a miserable pepper season, haven't written in a long time, but now have to post about a discovery. At noon went to a Caribbean restaurant, asked the owner to make it hot. First he brought me 3 kinds of pepper sauce, with heat, he said, of 8, 30 and 55. I finished the 55 bowl with a spoon in a second, asked him if this was really the hottest he had. He said to wait a minute, and came back with a bowl filled with some marinated chiles, which from the smell I recognized immediately as being the scotch bonnet type. During my meal had the bowl refilled several times, and after enjoying a great diner, the owner came to talk to me, carrying 2 bottles with him. He said that he had never seen anyone eat these chiles like I did, and if I wanted to try a special drink from his country (Gouadeloupe). Sure. It was great, enjoyable, but not that particularly hot. Then he showed me the other bottle, and poored me a glass. The owner said was the tradition to stand up while drinking this. So I did, and emptied it. It was awesome. Very hot, high alcohol, but the taste was just like heaven. I did again notice the typical scotch bonnet smell, however overpowered a bit by the alcohol. I asked what it was. The owner told me that this was self made liquor, strong white rum filled up with scotch bonnets and aged for 2 years. So, I am ready to try this myself, although I am not sure if I can let it stand all alone for 2 years... Have been looking in the internet to find the name of this drink and maybe a recipe, but can not find anything. Is there by any chance anyone on this forum who knows this drink and what the name is?

I have a 1.75 liter bottle to Tito's Handmade Vodka http://titos-handmade-vodka.com/?age=legit

That I chopped up 12 orange habs,,,yes I got them from the grocery store, I am inept.<G> put then into the 1.75 liter bottle to Tito's.

I also chopped up a whole clove of fresh garlic and put it into the Tito's vodka.

I let it sit for about a month, then made a Bloody Mary with it. Great hab and garlic flavor. The Heat was medium for me,,others....<g>.

My plan is plant again the early spring, then use some of the peppers to infuse various rums and vodka's. Hmm maybe a Railean Rum...http://www.railean.com/home.html

I've used Dark Rum infused with Scotch Bonnets to cook with. No reason you couldn't drink it if you wanted to. Because the Scotch Bonnet is from Jamaica I'd say use a Jamaican Rum like Appleton's. They have several grades/types you can get. I like dark rums best myself so that's what I use.

When the peppers have been in the rum for a week you tell it's hotter. But the longer it sits the the hotter it will get to a point.

Peace & have fun !!

P. Dreadie

Thanks Paul. Personally I prefer the dark one too, but I was thinking that after letting the scotch bonnets sit for a while, it may even get the white rum to taste good. Anyway, picked up a bottle of farmer's rum from Martinique, 55 %vol, and we'll start the experiment in a bit.
By the way, the restaurant owner called the scotch bonnets "bonda man jacques". I am not sure what it means, but if I understood the guy correctly, it has something to do with the ass of Jacques wife. He said that looking at the scotch bonnet from the bottom, it looks like a gal's ass.
Well, I need a few more shots, and then I'll look at the bonnets again from closer up. See if I can find any ressemblance.

So far I've done dark and silver rums, tequila and vodka - all purchased bottles, none self-distilled. I've used cayenne, brain strain, hab, datil, fatalii and a few others. In general, I've found it takes about 2 weeks for the alcohol to extract enough cap to call it "hot" at 40 proof, but of course, I leave the pods in until the bottle is empty - what I'm getting at is that the 2 weeks is a minimum. Of course, the total heat will depend upon the particular pods you use, as well as how many. Slice the pods open before putting them into the bottle, if you haven't figured that out already... ;o) I usually slice them at least in half, depending upon the pod size vs. the size of the neck of the bottle.

I'm wondering if the restaurant owner was doing the initial distilling process with the pods in there, or he was simply infusing already-distilled bottles like I have. (Your post indicated he self-distilled, but I'm wondering at what point he introduced the pods into the mix.) If he used existing bottles, it seems to me like the 2 years is overkill - the alcohol draws out the capsaicin significantly in just 2 weeks, so it would seem that all of the cap would have been drawn out of the pods a heck of a lot sooner than 2 years. Note your silver varieties will gain a "lovely" yellow tint similar to pale piss if you use orange or yellow pods - haven't noticed much of a coloration change when using yellow pods.

Edit - my personal fav right now is the pepper-infused tequila with some lime and pomegranate juice. Yummmmm!

And a couple more things I thought to mention. When you first put the pepper slices into the bottle, they will float. After about 2 weeks, though, they will sink to the bottom. That's part of how you know you've achieved what I consider the minimal release of capsaicin. After several more weeks, you will notice a significant difference in the color of the pods - the color will leach out of them almost entirely. I have a bottle of tequila with what used to be very red cayennes in it - the cayennes are now streaked somewhat orange to yellow to almost white. It would seem likely to me (albeit sans any equipment to test this theory) that most, if not all, the capsaicin would be leached out of the pods about the same time all the color is leached out. If I recall correctly, these cayennes have been in the tequila for a couple of months - definitely less than 3 full months, but not the years the restaurant owner referred to. So again, it may be that he introduces the pods before his rum is at the stage when I purchased my bottles, but the factors I've stated are part of why I think the 2 years is way overkill if the bottle is already fully distilled when the pods are introduced.

Edit: One qualifier that is a curiosity. I put brain strain in a 750ml bottle of 40 proof tequila and in the same size/proof of rum at the same time. The brain strain in the tequila sank to the bottom in the 2-week range, as expected. However, the slices in the vodka are still floating. Not sure why this would be, as other types of pods in the same type of vodka sank around the 2-week mark just as the pods sank in the rum and tequila. The brain strain has been in the vodka in the 3 to 4 week range now. And btw, the vodka is Absolut, the tequila is Milagro, and the rum is Bacardi.

I've tried a naga in some dark rum, it was lethal but I didn't think the strong taste of dark rum and the flavour of naga went together well, I suppose if you like dark rum then you'd find it ok, but I prefer white spirits (no not the paint brush cleaning kind!!!!!) Hot vodka is just the best especially if you keep the bottle in the freezer and drink it neat, ice cold vodka with hab heat is fantastic

Thanks for the feedback Geeme and Dave. The rum which I used is rum from martinique, 55 proof, and the smell is very fruity. Also the taste is excellent, and not at all comparable with Bacardi.
It is not clear to me if the restaurant owner makes the rum himself. He spoke with a heavy creole accent and vocabulary, and our communication was difficult. His best rum-bonda man jack was in a round black bottle, no lable. The other one was a regular bottle, but no lable either. This one was much lower in alcohol and the taste was nothing special. The stuff in the black bottle was different, was much higher in alcohol, and the liquid was kind of orange-brown. From the flow rate out of the bottle, I assume that the bottle was well stuffed with peppers.
As I did not understand what he told me when I asked him about the recipe, I asked him if he let the peppers ferment with the rum. He knicked his head, but with that I still have no straight answer. I thought though that I did understand something about rum, peppers and sugar. So, if you add peppers to rum and add sugar and some bacteria to get fermentation going, will this work?

The peppers floating is similar to the bonnets which I let ferment for 6 months, to make hot sauce. In the beginning is tough to keep them covered by liquid, but after a while, they simply sink to the bottom.
The cayennes which you use, what is the type? I have some slim, curled Italian cayenne which I brought from Calabria, and recently during a visit in Spain, I picked up a cayenne which look more like a super sized jalopeno.

I don't add any sugar or anything else - just slice the pods and put them into the bottle. I also don't "stuff" the bottle with peppers - I add as many pods as I want heat (more for milder peppers, fewer for hotter peppers.) Of course, you have to consider the amount of room in the bottle, as well; you may have to pour off some liquid to get in however many peppers you want. Still, I haven't added more than 3 pods to a 750ml bottle at this point, but have added 3 milder pods to a 375ml bottle, so would have put 6 of the milder pods into a 750ml bottle. Again, just depends upon how much heat you're looking for - and yes, 3 pods of a super-hot in a 750ml bottle will burn your lips as you bring it to your mouth, if you let it sit long enough. Also be careful about sniffing the fumes - a couple of the bottles I intentionally hold my breath while I'm taking a sip. :)

The cayennes I used were the ones I grew, which are the long thick variety. The early season pods were rather hot, so didn't put many in the bottle. But the late-season pods were much milder, so put more.

Wow, only 3 pods. Then I think I got 2 bombs heating up. I put 16 sliced up scotch bonnets per 700 ml bottle, of course including the seeds.
It is indeed important not to swalllow the liquor immediately, and that was also what the restaurant owner told me. The longer you keep it in your mouth, the more you can enjoy the heat.

LOL - even at 3 pods, some of them become scorchers. Tequila with brain strain, with juice from half a lime plus pommegranate juice, was still quite hot, even though it was diluted. I'd be curious to see a side-by-side comparison of a bottle with 3 pods vs. 17 - ie, do you really gain anything with that many, or is there a point at which the alcohol is saturated with cap and it won't take more.

At the end of the day, the reality is that I don't want to be the only one who enjoys them, and sharing is part of what makes them fun. Most of my friends around here consider my bottles way too hot, and either won't touch them, or insist on just a tiny amount with "plain" liquor added, in addition to whatever we're mixing it with. So if you've got people to hang out with that would enjoy the 17-pod variety, I'd say go for it.

LOL? And me who thought that everything was big in TX. Geeme, just wait till next summer, and if smoke is covering your summer sun, you'll know where it's coming from.
If I do the calculation, Cayenne with heat of about 70k, gives a total of 210k for you. Banda man jack, or scotch bonnets, let's be modest, heat 150k, x16, gives 2.4M, or roughly a factor of 10. I don't believe that the rum gets saturated with cap, fluid mixes with fluid. Well, if you ever get this way, drop me a note, and I'll be happy to invite you for a trial.

One thing I have to add though. A few years back when I was in the Southern Italian Calabria, the Italian pepper capital, visiting a grower, I was offered some grappa. I saw that there was sitting one cayenne type chile in the bottle. And it was hot. So, maybe the final heat does not only depend on the pepper, but on the combination of both pepper and alcohol.

That's part of what I'm thinking - the combo of pepper and alcohol must make some difference, else why are the one type of pods in the vodka still floating, while the other type of pods in the same vodka (different bottles) sank at the 2-week mark? And I'll be sure to save some brain strain infused tequila to bring with me when I come visit! ;)

C'est une bonne chose!

Is an interesting remark about the peppers sinking. I looked this morning at the bottles which I made, now 6 days ago, and the scotch bonnets have already drowned. Well, will try to give it another couple of months before tasting. Maybe the bonnets just partied too much ...

Oh taste it already! Just a sip or two, for heat comparison. Sip some, hold it in your mouth, and get an idea of the flavors mingling together, as well as the level of heat that's been extracted already. Take a couple more sips a month from now, so you've got an idea of where it's going. And of course, be sure to post the results!

I put what I think are some dried douglah pods into a bit of bourbon last night. (I say I think, because while I was told what pods I received, I am not 100% sure which are which.) This is Knob Creek small-batch bourbon. The point was to rehydrate the pods, so I put them in a cup, then just covered them with the bourbon. From time to time, I've taken a straw and pushed the pods down and stirred them around a bit, then stuck the end of the straw in my mouth to get an idea of what's happening to the bourbon. After just half an hour, the bourbon was clearly heating up. This morning, it's quite the scorcher - just put some into a spoon so I'd get more than what was on the tip of the straw. F the floating and sinking - this stuff is HOT already! Maybe using the dried pods makes a difference, too. Of course, the quantity of pods to alcohol is much, much higher than when I put a few pods into an entire bottle, but I'm betting putting even one of these into a 750ml bottle will heat that bottle up nicely in a very short time.

These pods and the bourbon they're soaking in are going to make some really hot cookies!

Hey Geeme, just sipped my brew, and ... I am sweating. Great taste, hot, but needs some more maturity. The taste is just not yet smooth enough. Will give it another try in a week.
Bourbon and chiles. I can not imagine the taste. I am a bourbon lover, but I always enjoyed the more affordable Evan Williams black label, and wild Turkey for the special occasions. I have never tasted the small batch bourbons. Big difference? 90 proof, or more?

Tell me, how is the combination of bourbon with heat? I'll have to give it a try. Sounds great !!!

Yep - maturity is a good thing, but I like having a base line for comparison. Can't wait to see your response in a few weeks!

Yes, this bourbon is 100 proof. I am not normally a bourbon drinker, but others who are on this site say this brand is exceptional - very smooth straight up. Here's a link to their website: Knob Creek. I just mixed up the cookie dough with the dried douglahs I rehydrated with the bourbon, and used the bourbon from those in the dough. Chopped up two pods' worth and added them to the batter. I am seriously thinking about putting more pods in there - these are SO GOOD. (The batter will sit in the fridge overnight.) I'll post the recipe separately, later. It's so good, I went and bought more ingredients so I can make more already!

Back