• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Exotic Meats?

Anybody ever e x p a n d their meat selection to species that are a little....off the beaten path?

Alligator, Antelope, Bison /Buffalo, Caribou /Reindeer, Elk, Frog, Kangaroo, Kobe Beef, Lamb, Llama, Rabbit, Rattlesnake, Snapping Turtle , Venison, Wild Boar, Yak, Duck, Goose, Guinea Fowl, Ostrich, Pheasant, Quail, Squab, and Wild Turkey????

Maybe crocodile?

These are available from here:

http://www.exoticmeats.com/store/

Shipping is pretty steep though since they have to pack it in dry ice. HOWEVER...they are in San Antonio....meaning I could drive down and pick up an order!

:lol:

I've eaten crocodile, kangaroo, emu, ostrich, buffalo, frog, lamb, rabbit, venison, wild boar, duck goose, pheasant and quail. I've never eaten Wild Turkey but I've drunk gallons of it :onfire:

that's a good selection they have. are you buying any Chuk?

I've had about 2/3rds of those. As for gator and croc, hell, i can just about trip on the stuff. Good eatin' though.

What is a good way to grill venison? Someone gave my geekish beloved some venison for fixing their computer, and we tried grilling a couple of the steaks, but they were tough. I was afraid they would be, and we marinated them, but apparently not correctly.

The venison sausage was killer, though.

If anyone is tavelling through Jacksonville, there is a restarant called Clark's Fish Camp that has a lot of these meats on the menu: gator, eel, turtle, rabbit, frog, quail, ostrich, antelope, venison, buffalo, snake. Their prime rib is great too.

It is a very unique authentic place to eat. It is also a great atmosphere, 100's of taxidermy animals, watching gators swim by while you eat.
http://www.clarksfishcamp.com/index.html

Pam said:
What is a good way to grill venison? Someone gave my geekish beloved some venison for fixing their computer, and we tried grilling a couple of the steaks, but they were tough. I was afraid they would be, and we marinated them, but apparently not correctly.

The venison sausage was killer, though.

What cut were they?

Chops are good on the grill -- I've been making an Italian soup that is fantastic -- but alas its hard to keep the grill lit with soup in it :onfire:

Most need to be braised a bit before the grill....

Grew up eating what was in season. I'm a poor city folk now. I don't know how anyone likes gator, gamey-est thing I've ever had. Rustlers Roost down the street a bit has rattlesnake and I've wanted to give it a go. Eating rattlesnake is bad mojo to the local navajo to the point where they won't touch silverware that was used to eat it. So I might never eat it myself to avoid the further angering of local spirirts.

and there is one foolproof way to prepare all meats...jerky!!!

pam - cooking venison takes like half the time it does to cook beef. if cooking it on the grill watch it closely & flip it a couple times & by then it should be done. & depending on the age of the deer & its diet depends on the cooking method.
a tried & true method for cooking venison is sauteing(w/butter) the little venison steaks with fresh garlic & onions :cool:
another good basting sauce for venison on the grill is 1/3 butter 1/3 of brown sugar 1/3 soy sauce , depending on how much you make but roughly a equal amount for each ingredients.
you want to serve/eat venison tender,dont over cook it

wild turkey taste very close to penned turkeys. but a tad drier since less fat & takes less time for cooking, the legs cook alot faster.

gator! its alright, heck we even can buy gator from walmart up here in hickville MN

chuck hell thanks for posting that I'll be looking into that site.

LUCKYDOG said:
What cut were they?

Um...the free kind?

Chops are good on the grill -- I've been making an Italian soup that is fantastic -- but alas its hard to keep the grill lit with soup in it :cool:

Most need to be braised a bit before the grill....

Ok, thanks!

chilehunter said:
pam - cooking venison takes like half the time it does to cook beef. if cooking it on the grill watch it closely & flip it a couple times & by then it should be done. & depending on the age of the deer & its diet depends on the cooking method.

Ok.

Is it safe to eat venison rare? 'Cause, I like my steak run quickly through a warm room.

a tried & true method for cooking venison is sauteing(w/butter) the little venison steaks with fresh garlic & onions :cool:
another good basting sauce for venison on the grill is 1/3 butter 1/3 of brown sugar 1/3 soy sauce , depending on how much you make but roughly a equal amount for each ingredients.
you want to serve/eat venison tender,dont over cook it

That sounds really good, and we could even throw in a pepper or two for extra punch. Thanks.

wild turkey taste very close to penned turkeys. but a tad drier since less fat & takes less time for cooking, the legs cook alot faster.

I've never had wild turkey, but I've had a free range heritage turkey, and I thought the flavor was so much better than a butterball. I didn't try and smoke the turkey...on a grill, you big goofuses...because I was afraid it might get dry, but it wasn't dry at all, so I might try that next year.

pam - rare, what do you call rare ? since everyones opinion of rare is different. a little pink wouldnt hurt, but I like to be on the safe side & cook it until the juices are turning clear,about that time its fully cooked & still tender, thats where watching it closely is helpful because it can get overdone quickly.
cook it just like you would beef BUT venison takes less time to cook.I know I've said this several times already :cool:
I dont want to scare you but if the deer came from a CWD area (chronic wasting disease) I'd cook it until theres no longer any pink just to be safe, & the CWD prions stay in the spine/brain not in the meat.theres no proof humans can even get infected from this. maybe I shouldnt of brought this up.
the sauteing w/garlic & onions is for cooking in a pan (I just had to say that, just in case you thought it was for basting like the other mixture butter/brown sugar/soy sauce) I tend to put more brown sugar in the mixture so its not so runny

"big goofuses" ? is that towards me ? I cooked my wild turkey on the grill, I injected it with some sauce & basted with it also, the turkey turned out great (but I had it wrap somewhat with foil) but the legs got overdone :cool: I should of put the leg section on when the breast section was about halfway done to prevent the legs from drying out, the legs went towards turkey noodle soup.

chilehunter said:
pam - rare, what do you call rare ? since everyones opinion of rare is different. a little pink wouldnt hurt, but I like to be on the safe side & cook it until the juices are turning clear,about that time its fully cooked & still tender, thats where watching it closely is helpful because it can get overdone quickly.

Ok, that's what I needed to know.

cook it just like you would beef BUT venison takes less time to cook.I know I've said this several times already :cool:
I dont want to scare you but if the deer came from a CWD area (chronic wasting disease) I'd cook it until theres no longer any pink just to be safe, & the CWD prions stay in the spine/brain not in the meat.theres no proof humans can even get infected from this. maybe I shouldnt of brought this up.

No, no, you're correct. This was a gift, and I assume the deer was taken somewhere in upstate New York, but I don't know for sure.

"big goofuses" ? is that towards me ?

I dunno, are you the type that makes har har marijuana joke every time someone talks about smoking something?

I cooked my wild turkey on the grill, I injected it with some sauce & basted with it also, the turkey turned out great (but I had it wrap somewhat with foil) but the legs got overdone :cool: I should of put the leg section on when the breast section was about halfway done to prevent the legs from drying out, the legs went towards turkey noodle soup.

Yeah, if I'm going to smoke poultry on the grill, I like to inject the breast with something, usually an herbal oil. It does keep it from drying out so much.

I've been to Rustler's and tried the rattler, it tasted like chicken (big surprise).
Rustler's Roost has one of the best BBQ sauces I have tasted in a long while.
Too bad they are south of the 49th, I'd love to carry their product up here.
I could only fit two of the big jugs of it in my luggage.

darthcarl said:
Grew up eating what was in season. I'm a poor city folk now. I don't know how anyone likes gator, gamey-est thing I've ever had. Rustlers Roost down the street a bit has rattlesnake and I've wanted to give it a go. Eating rattlesnake is bad mojo to the local navajo to the point where they won't touch silverware that was used to eat it. So I might never eat it myself to avoid the further angering of local spirirts.

and there is one foolproof way to prepare all meats...jerky!!!

Uncle Big said:
Too bad they are south of the 49th, I'd love to carry their product up here.
I could only fit two of the big jugs of it in my luggage.

You know, once I tried to bring back several bottles of hot sauce and beer from New York. That was, of course, the time the airline lost my luggage. It finally got here two days after I did, and you could see the print of the tire that ran across one end of the bag. When I opened it, I was hit by a wave of stale beer and hot sauce smell. Ugh!

Three beers and one bottle of hot sauce survived. And the hot sauce turned out to be crummy. The beers were good, though. Grant's Perfect Porter, if I remember correctly, my favorite session porter.

pam - I only brought up wild turkey since chilliman said he didnt know what they tasted like.
I reread your quote, I guess it wasnt directed towards me. & no I dont make pot jokes, if I remember right I've only made 1 since someone was rambling on way off topic then I posted a picture as a joke.

please explain whats with the part of "no,no, your correct" ? I say something wrong ? & then something correct ? or is this supposed to be sarcasm ?

Back