Food Mill/Mouli

Does anyone use a Food Mill or Mouli for their sauces?

Normally I just deseed my peppers, but try and retain as much placenta as possible. This can be a right royal pain in the ass if you are continually doing it, so I'm looking for what I can use to help.

When making sauces, I generally throw the deseeded peppers in the blender with whatever else ingredients need to be blended, and at least one or two of the liquids. I never use a strainer, as I don't mind a bit of substance to the sauce.

Do you think I could say cook the peppers in a liquid (ie. lemon juice or vinegar) then process through a food mill/mouli, then move all the ingredients into a blender?

I just bought an OXO food mill for ~50 bucks. It has 3 different sized disks. I am planning on using it this weekend. I'll post my results.

The "Best"........when it comes to saucing. I wouldn't be caught without one. I have a Rosle food mill, its stainless steel and very durable. Not sure if the plastic ones can handle heavy duty. My last sauce contained Tamarind, Prunes,raisens and smoked peppers. I bottled about 36 woozies, it seemed like alot of pulp, skin and seeds to mill. No lie it was, but the milling gave me a smooth sauce. Outside of my chefs knives, the food mill is my next favorite kitchen "gadget"

Greg

Mixed results with the Oxo mill. I think it was due to my use of pineapple in the sauce. the fine and medium plates clogged. Next run will be without pineapple.

food mills do work great for getting seeds out. You're on the right track to cook the pods then mill them. Also, there are better blenders or food processors on the market that will grind up everything in the sauce. Granted, you'll be looking at ~$250 instead of $50 (new). Often you can find food mills at garage sales or thrift stores.

Mixed results with the Oxo mill. I think it was due to my use of pineapple in the sauce. the fine and medium plates clogged. Next run will be without pineapple.

Thanks. I was considering the same one. Please let me know if it ends up working better on a different recipe.

Back