• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yogurt Maker for Fast sprouting

Friends,

I kicked off the 2011 season by planting Bydgi seeds using a YOGURT MAKER.

This contraption keeps a constant 28 degree C temp.

My son bought this yougurt maker from Baby'sRUs and could not make good yougurt

because of the lack of good starter culture. It became useless in 1 month.

Yogurt Maker

I used it to sprout Bydgi for 2011 season.

I got my first seed sprouting in 72 hours and at the end of 6th day, had a bunch of seeds sprouting.

sprouts

I used the yogurt maker intermittantly for 3 days..

the success rate is phenomenol 90 percent.

Thanks,I intend growing my next year's needs of Bydgi by growing about 10 plants. Each will produce about a kilo of peppers in Texas as we have a long season lasting till

coming october-November.. I will be transefering to empty yogurt containers to start with and in March, I will transplant in my garden.

We use about 3 kgs Bydgi powder per year and rest will go in fridge for next year.

is the bydgi the same as byadagi or bedgi and what is the appeal of this pepper?

i will have no more room for new peppers for 2011 but am always on the look out at stores for new imported dried peppers but if i run across a bonda ma jacques, i would be willing to kill off one of my habaneros.

BC,

It is the same as Bedagi/Bydagi. It is very aromatic pepper with very high color and not much heat. We use it primarily to make curries look red and appealing to eye.

For heat, we use Resham Patti or Sannam. This is as afar as my family needs. My needs for heat are basically from Naga .

everytime you post a pepper name i go "google crazy" trying to find the pepper's description - keeps me hopping, as they usually aren't listed under g6csy or appear as another name.

another member posted interest in a aleppo/halaby pepper and after some research i found too, it is wanted for its aroma and is used in middle eastern dishes, i tried to source some seeds locally but none are to be found - yet. locally we have a middle eastern community and i still have some shops to visit, once the roads are a little clearer and xmas traffic settles down.

i am lucky as i have a couple of ethnic grocery stores very close to my home, east indian, african and japenese/korean. i use a lot of fenugreek dried leaves and roast my own seeds then grind them up. i have dundicut powder that i use on chicken when i feel the need for a nutty peppery flavour and grind up what i believe to be sannam peppers that i purchase from the east indian store - the dried pods look very similar to a lot photos i have seen and they do have a nice heat level. if they are sannam the powder is a nice redish/orange colour and is way better than packaged powder ceyenne. the dried seeds have germinated for both types so i should have fresh pods come summer. both plants look very similar in their youthful form.

this year i was hoping for fatalii but not 1 produced any pods, the plants are still alive and i have started 1 in my dwc and it is doing really well. i have orange habs but now the local grocery store carries them fresh. i did purchase all the super hots from judy a month ago and they are germinating right now.

BC,

Dandicut is a nice pepper with nutty flavour as you wrote.

But you should try other Indian peppers for flavour like Bydgi, Reshampatti etc.

Ever tried a Mundu for heat and earthy taste?

It is a wonderful pepper.

NJA

But you should try other Indian peppers for flavour like Bydgi, Reshampatti

its been almost a year now since my good friend has passed, he was east indian and we shared a lot about peppers, he gave me some seeds from a plant he had and i thought they were suryanki cluster but since, i don't think they are. when he brought me pods, which were green, they had some good heat value but when i grew the plant and the plant he raised for me, they had zero heat value. so i don't know why the heat was lost. he brought the seeds back from northern india, so i can only guess what they were, his wife doesn't know and his son brought me all the seeds he was saving as the son doesn't share the same quest in peppers.

i have another aquaintance from india, that i see everyday, our conversation ends at namaste, he knows no english. my old indian friend told me he was from a diamond village in india and is illiterate. we walk our kids to the bus stop and see each other at pick up time, the next time i see his daughter i could ask her if he likes hot peppers, who knows he could be dieing just to sink his teeth into a good bhut, of which i know have 2 small seedlings.

i have my goatsweed, which i will call the "house pepper", the ones i have pack a sizzling heat and really like my cooler weather. of course i am the only one in the house that eats anything with heat, except when the wife started using my ground orange hab pepper powder. she has a choice of ceyenne, dundicut or sannam powder but insists on my orange hab. the problem is i have to dry the orange habs over our furnace register and that takes about 4 days and constant rotating. good news is i am getting a dehydrator for xmas and that will make powder making easier.

i'll look into reshampatti but double i would find any, i have one east indian grocery store that brings in scotch bonnet and they do have some small thin chiles but no one knows what they are and the pods are usually a sad lot.

NJA,

The Bydgi sounds intriguing. By a quick glance, I'm assuming it's an annum or a baccatum?

I'm in your 'hood' (welcome to Texas, BTW. Hope you're enjoying the much milder winter than you have in previous years).

Yogurt maker is very interesting. I'm now scouring craigslist for cheap used offerings. Might hit freecycle, too.

If you have spare Bydgi seeds, and they're annums or baccatums, I'd love to try some if you're still sharing. I can pick them up or send along my address. I'm down the road from you a few miles. Or, if you like motorsports, you can come by my work, have some fun and we can exchange seeds.

Back