• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Heaviest Yielding Plants

Just curious. And this can be any species, including multiple 'flushes' on an annum or baccatum. Just curious to see what varieties might be the most efficient in production of edible pods (no non-culinary ornamentals).

Pictures rock if you have 'em, too.

Last year, my Thai hots, and Santa Fe Grandes gave me a lot. But my Criolla Sella outpaced everything by a long shot, and did it all year, till I finally chopped it down as an overwintering experiment (it's coming back indoors).

A quick rundown of what's been shared in this thread so far, divided by species:

annums

Aji Cereza
Goatsweed
Hot Banana
Hot Finger?
Kung Pao
Thai Hot
Santa Fe Grande
Super Chili

baccatums

Aji Limon
Criolla Sella
Lemon Drop

chinense

7-Pot/Pod (Naga-Shaped Red)
Chupetinha
Dorset Naga
Habanero (Orange)
Ivory Habanero
Fatalli(Yellow)
Naga Morich
Red Savina

This is a great question. I'd like to go a bit further and ask if there is a specific jalapeno that on a average produces a heavy yield.

As for my opinion on highest yielding, while my own plant kinda sucked by comparison, hot bananas seem highly prolific. I've seen videos of plants falling over due to the mass of pods being produced.

This is a great question. I'd like to go a bit further and ask if there is a specific jalapeno that on a average produces a heavy yield.

As for my opinion on highest yielding, while my own plant kinda sucked by comparison, hot bananas seem highly prolific. I've seen videos of plants falling over due to the mass of pods being produced.

For what little it's worth, I got a great yield, twice, from my plain ol' purple jalapenos this year. But I've given up on the heat variability of growing them in pots and have decided to ban jalapenos from my grow list in favor of Santa Fe Grandes.

I'm sure others will know much, much more.

For what little it's worth, I got a great yield, twice, from my plain ol' purple jalapenos this year. But I've given up on the heat variability of growing them in pots and have decided to ban jalapenos from my grow list in favor of Santa Fe Grandes.

I'm sure others will know much, much more.

Good to know. Even though I grew hot bananas, I've promised not to grow them again. Eating them I felt was comparable to eating celery. I'm currently growing CPI Jalamundos. I have just 5 fruit set. I'm hoping they will produce the size of the pictured pods. I've seen Santa Fe's offered at several sites, I think I'll pick up some seeds for the time I germinate.

The super chili hybrid is usually one crazy producer.
My personal biggest plant ever was a Naga Morich which produced incredibly, but unfortunately they don't always grow like that

Good to know. Even though I grew hot bananas, I've promised not to grow them again. Eating them I felt was comparable to eating celery. I'm currently growing CPI Jalamundos. I have just 5 fruit set. I'm hoping they will produce the size of the pictured pods. I've seen Santa Fe's offered at several sites, I think I'll pick up some seeds for the time I germinate.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the Santa Fe plants. They were robust, produced pretty heavily (probably 40 fruits per plant), were hot enough to have a little kick, but not so hot that my wife didn't want to cook with them. Great for 'poppers', too. For me, they fit the bill of the jalapeno without the random heat levels (at least that's how it was this year).

The super chili hybrid is usually one crazy producer.
My personal biggest plant ever was a Naga Morich which produced incredibly, but unfortunately they don't always grow like that

Interesting. What's the taste and heat like on that super chili?

Just curious. And this can be any species, including multiple 'flushes' on an annum or baccatum. Just curious to see what varieties might be the most efficient in production of edible pods (no non-culinary ornamentals).

Last year, my Thai hots, and Santa Fe Grandes gave me a lot. But my Criolla Sella outpaced everything by a long shot, and did it all year, till I finally chopped it down as an overwintering experiment (it's coming back indoors).

I have had "luck" with most of the species except Pubescens ( I think I have to grow more than two or three plants to get proper pollenation). At the end of the season I am begging people to take what I can't use
Since The digital camera came out I have been taking pictures of the fruits and flowers.
My link

So far this season, it looks like my Kung Pao will be taking the prize for producing the heaviest yield. If it is of any interest to you, it was also one of my first to start producing.

It may not look like much in this photo but keep in mind that the plant is only very small (taking a guess, 20" tall max) and pretty much still a baby as I did not pinch buds to encourage better growth. Also keep in mind that due to intense sun lately I have had a lot of blossom drop and the most I've got on any other plant is 3 or 4 pods.

IMG_4081.jpg

One negative though, apparently they only rate about 10,000 scovilles. But that aside, if they end up tasting good, I will surely be growing more next season whether they are hot or not.

i agree with super chili, kung pao and you can add goatsweed. i call my goatsweed "my house pepper", first they look pretty, second they produce heavy and third they pack on the heat.

super chili has a ceyenne flavour with a slight variant, like goatsweed and kung pao with kung pao being the milder of the 3.

kung pao is an interesting plant, one day you look at them and nothing, next day they have very pretty large umbrella/bell like flowers and in no time at all bam, loads of long pods.

superchili is just in your face, it grows, it bushes out, it flowers and then pods everywhere, very predictable plant.

i use all three, in soups, stir fry and have made a mix (all 3) into a powder.

the nice thing about santa fe is they have that sweetness with small amount of heat that can be tolerated by wifes that don't really like heat, fresno is similar.

i have 2 goatsweed that are entering their 4th year, my 2 year old superchili died this fall but i tossed some seed into dirt and now have several small plants(that i don't need and will have to give them away), my 2 year old ceyenne looks like its hanging in there and my kung pao looks like it may be toast. i can't seem to kill the "weed of peppers", my fresno.

kung pao is an interesting plant, one day you look at them and nothing, next day they have very pretty large umbrella/bell like flowers and in no time at all bam, loads of long pods.
I'll say! In fact, one day there was nothing, not even buds, and then bang, I checked a few days later and little pods! Even if I had planned on pinching the buds, I wouldn't have had a chance! :lol:

Definitely gonna prune back over winter and see if I can't get the thing to explode next season.....

Aji Limon, seeds purchased from HSC. Absolutely insane. 324 pods from 2 plants in 2010. They grew to about 6 1/2 feet tall. Here's a pic.

001-9.jpg

in our first year of growing, fatalii and red savinas were pretty good producers. but the sneaker was two plants that came from peppermania in a "mystery" pepper grab bag packet-

we think it's chile de arbol-
plant was 18" tall x 12" wide with +40 pods.

cyeeneswormanddavez006.jpg

cyeeneswormanddavez007.jpg

cyeeneswormanddavez002.jpg

cyeeneswormanddavez001.jpg

This Naga Morich gave me around 2500 pods several years back and is my best producer so far. I'll see if I can beat it this coming season

1336408753_17ed9bca76.jpg

Thats what i call a producer Potawie,im growing Naga Morich in 2011 did you grow it in containers or in the ground.

Wow. Thanks, guys. Keep 'em coming. Is there any thought about whether certain species actually produce more, or if most of it is environmental? I always suspected it was a little of both.

Salsalady, I don't think that's an Arbol. I have one growing right now, and the pods are much thinner, as well as the plant being more spindly.

Looks more like a 'Hot Finger' offered by them. They look yummy, regardless. Nice and juicy!

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Back