• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Binchnunker's 2011 Grow (Attempt) Log

Well I started most of my seeds in a seed start mix put them in a reused salad tub on the 20th of December.
My Varieties for this year:
Aji Bonito
Aji Brown
Bhut x Bell F3
Bhut Jolokia CPI
Black Pearl
Bonnet x Bell F3
Brazilian Starfish
Bulgarian Carrot
Cajun Belle F1
CAP 1478
Cappuccino Habanero
Cherry Pepper
Chile de Arbol
Chocolate Fatali
Clavo
Condors Beak
Fidalga Vermelha
Filius Blue
Fooled You Jalapeno F1
Inferno F1
Italian Pepperoncini
Monkeyface Yellow
Morouga Blend Yellow
Mustard Habanero
Numex Heritage Big Jim
Numex Pinata
Numex Suave Orange
Numex Suave Red
Orange Hab
Padron
Peru White Hab
Peter Pepper Red
Poblano
Prik Bra Dap (Charming)
Prik Bra Dap (Fak Thong)
Prik Ki Nu Suan
Prik Sri Num Khao (F1)
Prik Wiang Ping
Purira
Ring of Fire
Rocoto Orange
Short Yellow Tabasco
Super Colossal
Sweet Chocolate
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad Perfume
Tunisian Baklouti

As of today the Black Pearl, Aji Benito, Brazilian Starfish, Chocolate Fatali, Cajun Belle, TS Morouga Yellow, Condors Beak, Filius Blue, Poblano and Cappuccino Hab are up.
Some seeds I started in paper towl and a couple are showing radicles, so I placed them in some cups with seed mix.

Nice list of peppers, should keep you busy. Hopefully I'll have my seeds in by the end of the week, though not nearly that many plants

Thanks logchief, I plan on only 1 plant of each for this year as I don't really know what I like, hopefully by the end of the season I will have made up my mind on which to grow the following year.

Just a few photos before I head out.

Morouga Yellow
DSC_0217.jpg

Aji Benito
DSC_0214.jpg

Condors Beak
DSC_0212-1.jpg

Black Pearl
DSC_0213.jpg

A quick update from a friends computer as I lost mine in a power outtage :( so no pics, sorry. Anyways, My Fak Thong, and Suan thai's are up, and so are Mustard Hab, Tobago Seasoning, Purira, Bonnet Bell, the Numex Suave Red and Orange. Thats it for now, hopefully I can get my computer up and running and I can get some pics up :)

Oh I lost the Cappuccino Habs, they just kinda shrivelled up from the top and fell over, did nothing different for all the others...

Good luck with this season,
you have a few interesting Thai varieties, PM me if you are you interested in doing a trade?

Thanks junglerRain, you have some interesting varieties yourself. The thai varieties I have I just recently purchased, and I don't really want to trade them yet as I am not sure if they will grow true, if they do I will be quite happy, I might start a second batch of them for some DWC buckets I can fashion together using some 5 gallon buckets I can take from work.

I have found that I can get pics uploaded through my phone, yay for me! I'll see if I can get a pick of the little seedlings up here in a minute..

Quick update, Finally got a CAP 1478 to germinate, now lets see if it will grow :) I just potted up my Aji Benito and Condors Beak, everything is slow growing, which is good actually, its quite cool in the mud room and they are just under fluoros. Everything looks healthy so far. I'm having trouble getting a Bhut Jolokia seed to germinate, had 2 rot on me, and this next one is looking good so far, after a couple weeks its not turning brown. Can't get Clavo to germinate, they keep rotting, also bad luck with Orange Manzano, the Sri Num Khao, and the Prik Bra Dap (Charming). Oh well, keep trying.

My hydro experiment is so-so, Fidalga Vermelha is looking alright once I fixed some problems of root rot, Piri Piri is shrimpy, the Onza is just tall, but healthy, Peter is looking quite yellow, and my Short Yellow Tabasco is puny, only like an inch tall but with like 50 leaves on it and trying to set fruit, ya, they were stressed in the old nute solution. however, the lonely eggplant I did in place of a pepper that didn't make it (rockwool dried out, and seedling died :( ) is going berserk now that I changed the nutes. I need to set up its own spot in a 5 gal.

No new pics yet, those will come later, I need some money to fix my computer :( My guess is it may need a new power supply... or motherboard or more...

I may not be able to grow as many plants as I wanted. After the days of rain cleared the 35 cm or so of snow, I saw the effects on our deck. It collapsed the middle, so I don't want to even walk on it anywhere else. So that needs to be fixed this spring when things warm up and dry out.

Yay for updates :) I have some pics too. I got more Cappuccino Habs to sprout, they look healthy, also finally managed to not kill a Yellow Monkeyface. Also add an Orange Hab to my grow list, had 1 sprout from store bought fruit. I sowed another Bhut Jolokia, see if I can get one to sprout, also sowed more Clavo, and others I am having issues germinating (Orange Rocoto, Prik Bra Dap Charming, Prik Sri Num Khao, CAP 1478)

Now for pictures (they are slow growing in the chilly mudroom)

TS Morouga Yellow (Wasn't expecting this as one of the quicker growers)
CurtisNewCamera417.jpg

Black Pearl
CurtisNewCamera418.jpg

Aji Brown (started a little later)
CurtisNewCamera419.jpg

Bonnet x Bell
CurtisNewCamera420.jpg

Aji Benito
CurtisNewCamera424.jpg

Condors Beak
CurtisNewCamera425.jpg

Mustard Hab
CurtisNewCamera423.jpg

Thanks Sandgroper, I have more seedlings, I just never got any photos, I ran out of room n my SD card. I also haven't started all my annums I'll do that in a couple weeks. Hoping to see my other chinenses sprout soon, especially bhut and clavo, they refuse to germinate and, they usually just rot.

Clavo germinated, I have 2 seedlings now. Still no sign of the Bhut. I also got another Peru White Hab to germinate, lets see if this one makes it, so far I have lost 10/10 of these, they sprout, and live for a week, then turn brown and die. Now I also have a couple hydro experiment plants, they are kinda crammed, and have had odd growth habits, But I do have something that makes it all worth the effort...

IMAG0304-1.jpg

This is most likely a Paper Lantern Hab, I originally sowed Fidalga Vermelha seeds in the rockwool, but 2 seeds rotted and the 1 left i figured was a dud, so I threw some HPL seeds in the rockwool, then I thought I saw life from the fidalga seed, so i picked out the other seeds.. but I might have been mistaken.. I'll see when this pod grows out. There looks to be hundreds of buds forming, mostly in clusters of about 6 to 10.

Also have a flower open on my Short Yellow Tabasco hydro plant, another odd one, this one took a beating in its young life, i dropped it a couple times, overwatered it. It was so shrimpy, it was about 1 inch tall and 2 inches wide when it decided it needed to bear offspring, now at about 3 to 4 inches tall, and 4 to 5 inches wide. No pollen formed yet, so I attempted to shove some Chile de Onza pollen down its throat. I'll see if that takes and I'll save seeds to see if the cross was successful.. or I'll go right now and pull the petals and stamens and rub some more pollen. Could be an interesting cross; Short Yellow Tabasco x Chile de Onza.

Thats my latest rant, thanks for following,

Curtis.

Thanks NorTex.

Just checked my annuums this morning, and once again the Onza leads the pack, followed closely by the Ring of Fire. Next that I can see poking its head up is the "Fooled You" Jalapeno. I did a little digging just to check for rot and noticed my Orange Manzano and CAP 1478 have germinated, but there was a little bit of rot on the Manzano seedcoat.

A very small hook is visible on the CAP 1478, Padron showing hooks, and the sweet chocolate has appeared aswell, I potted up an Inferno I had started a couple weeks ago, It has 2 giant cotyledons, and only very small true leaves visible, but the roots looked quite amazing compared to the other 2 Inferno plants, just experimenting with potting it up a little earlier to see if the roots continue down as quick as they have been, making the plant grow quick and healthy. One of my Numex Suave plants is finally picking it up since being potted up a couple weeks ago, the other Suave is still kinda dormant, getting over shock I guess. I really like using the jiffy pellets, I can see the root progress, and I don't have to worry about pulling the plant apart trying to get it to seperate from the plastic cup. Waiting on a few more seeds to show up in the mail, should be here this week with plenty of time left to start them.

Just remembered where I stashed my Remaining Piri Piri and Fidalga Vermelha seeds so I sowed 4 of each.. the last 4 of the Fidalga, hope they germinate.

Back