• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods Falling off

I have an Orange Hab and a Jalapeno that are flowering.
With the Hab sometimes the flowers turn to little pods then fall off
other times the flowers just fall off.

The Jalapeno always seems to make the little pod, but then they fall off.

Here is a pic of one that fell off the Jalapeno

b667040f.jpg

i've been getting that a lot as well - my jalepeno and rocoto are doing it constantly.. dont know what the weather is like in SA, but in sydney its been cold and rainy one day and then stinking hot the next.. I think that might have something to do with it..

Same here in SA. It's been rain then sun, rain then sun.

I have my plants inside a green house so they haven't actually had the rain but they have had to deal with the temperature swings.
Strawberries, Tomatoes, Basil and Sunflowers seem to be loving it the peppers not so much :(

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention.

I see only two reason for that...

1. Too much nitrogen in ferts. -> Add more potassium
(as nitrogen makes plant growing, not flowering. Leafs getting darker)
2. Too little light to make flowers. -> milder ferts-combo

The same has been happening here in perth. We're not getting rain but consecutive 38C days. So thats what i figure is the problem.
Plus i might over water a bit.

I've got the same problem on all my plants (30+) The internet is great for some things, but over-information is a side effect. Too much, not enough, rub your belly pat your head, pat your belly smell your leg. What can you do? I have given up worrying and just sit here glass half full waiting for those flowers to turn into pods! :beer:

I'd say its the high dry temps we have here, try and keep the soil just short of moist (so your soil feels cool and just holds together)

I've still not managed to get a single pod to fruit on the Hab. They just keep falling off. More keep coming though so I'm not totally worried.
Only managed to get 2 pods on my Jalapeno so far too every other flower has fallen off that too and there are currently no more left on it :(

I've still not managed to get a single pod to fruit on the Hab. They just keep falling off. More keep coming though so I'm not totally worried.
Only managed to get 2 pods on my Jalapeno so far too every other flower has fallen off that too and there are currently no more left on it :(
I know the feeling. Maybe about one third of my plants are producing, but of them, most are only fruiting a pod or two and dropping the rest (with the exception of a couple plants that have a nice handful of pods at the best). I shouldn't complain though.... already I am doing much better than last season!

You got a decent whack of Japs there, Sandgroper! :cool:

Out of the two plants I have growing, I have a grand total of five pods.... which was six up until yesterday when I pinched a green one and ated it. :D

have you tried adding any calcium? Or spraying with dilute Cal-Mag?

Please note "I have no association with nutritech at all other than using their products which I think are brilliant"

Maybe this is the secret, as Graham Sait of Nutritech solutions says Calcium is "the trucker of all minerals". and magnesium is the steering wheel.<LI>Magnesium in the "chlorophyll key" to enhance photosynthesis.Calcium and magnesium are two of "The Big Four" elements which should be maintained at luxury levels for maximum productivity. The other two are phosphorous and silicon.
Plant levels of calcium and magnesium require boosting in about 80% of leaf tissue analyses.

I know I was having a problem with bloom drop early in the year, and it was in the 50's. I started adding and spraying calcium, and the blooms would set, and fruit started developing. In the middle of summer when it was at 100F and blooms wouldn't set, I had started experimenting with DWC hydro, and just started spraying and watering the soil plants with the hydro solution, which had additional Calcium in it, and the blooms would set even above 95F. You have to be careful not to use too much calcium.

Back