• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Limo Rojo

Thoughts? Pictures? Warnings?

Just curious. They've been my first plants up this year and 11 of 12 have made it out.

Pods

IM004640.jpg

Plant

IM004619.jpg

Picture006-3.jpg

Picture005-3.jpg

Easy to grow,Very nice looking Pods,Produces well.
Mine were attacked by mites so I had to resort to poison.Birds were dropping out of the sky as they flew over my plants after trying everything in the book to kill the mites.
Nothing worked,99% of my garden died.
Needless to say I ate no pods from my plants last year.
I did however , tie a branch from a 7Pot to a branch from the Aji Limo rojo and hoping I get crossed plants from those peppers this year.
Seeds were from Peppermania.

Thanks, smoke! That's a compact little son of a gun. Which is good. Looks about the same size as my white bullet hab. I'll find a suitable pot for mine and toss a couple in the ground, too.

I wonder how hot they are...

Thats in a #15 pot (7-8Gal.)and it was about 2 1/2 ft. tall and 3-4ft. wide(branches on the sunny side were 3 ft. long from the main stem).
I think if it was in the ground it would have been bigger.
Compact , yes , but not that small.
It produced early for a Chinense and was part of a Hedge of plans before the mites attacked.

Thats in a #15 pot (7-8Gal.)and it was about 2 1/2 ft. tall and 3-4ft. wide(branches on the sunny side were 3 ft. long from the main stem).
I think if it was in the ground it would have been bigger.
Compact , yes , but not that small.
It produced early for a Chinense and was part of a Hedge of plans before the mites attacked.

That's definitely bigger than I imagined based on the pictures. Thank you again. All I know is that so far it has been my most successful germinator, so I've gotta put 'em somewhere...or give 'em away. And I don't know anyone nearby that digs hot peppers. :)

At least that plant was very strong.
Mites killed a branch and it still grew new ones and produced a few pods too at the same time.
Mites did kill it eventually though.
I'm not sure but I don't think they are that hot.
I was hoping to grow it for powder to mix with super hots so I wouldn't loose the Chinense flavor but temper the heat.
I'll deffinately grow them again.
It was producing pods early like it was an Annuum instead of a Chinense.
A lot more hardy than regular Aji Limo.

Might be Peppermania's strain though.

I have grown it,aji limo rojo , from other seed venders seeds and never saw as much purple on early pods before and never got the production , even under adverse conditions my last years plant had than I got from Beth's seeds.

If your grow as mine did you'll like the plant for production and looks.

I really wanted to taste these guys but I used poison on my garden (haven't used poison for over 18 yrs.)and will not eat stuff that was poisoned.

Too many of the supposed safe stuff have been found to be real nasty after you use them but were claimed safe for years.
Plus bugs are immune to a lot of stuff these days.

I'll try it again this season,something that pretty and prolific has to taste good.:)

My seed is Peppermania stock from Beth as well. Should grow similar to yours.

I've been thoroughly impressed with Beth and her product so far. Can't wait to see the full growouts. I ordered a ton of stuff from her this year. A lot of sweet chinense sp. stuff. I'm pumped. Have Trini perfumes popping up right now.

I got some seeds of this variety from Beth and give them a try this season. How were your experiences in 2011? Seems to be a really nice variety.

Eephus.... Id take some of those Aji's off your hands if you dont have room for em! ;)

Hey CH,

I grew these last year. Unfortunately, my seed collection was involuntarily removed from me last year. But check out my grow list in my profile. If you're interested in any of those, I can meet you somewhere after I pot up the first time (overdue and any day now) or the second time (probably in late February). Or, if you don't have indoor space, I can just hand them over in mid-March for plant out.

I have more than I need. PM me for a list of what looks like I'll have extra of. They are growing strong right now and have been since late December/early January.

What were your experiences with Aji Limo Rojo? Got some seeds here, too, and give them a try.

Well, I can only comment on the plants, as I got no fruit. Deer razed two of my three and the third was a late plant out (April). I technically got fruit, but it froze before it ripened. The plants were VERY tough. In our high-heat/low water conditions, they did just fine (nothing thrived), and they came back at least two times after deer-related crimes.

All I can say is that they are robust plants (in line with my chocolate habs and Thais).

G'luck with it, and let us know!!

Thanks. I will take pictures and show them in my glog. I only put one seed in the dirt, because i don't know where to put all the plants i already got. I hope it will germinate. If not i'll probably give it another try.

Can anyone compare the heat level of Aji Limo Rojo vs. Aji Umba? I need a bulletproof, highly productive, robust C. chinense in the Caribbean Red—Congo Trinidad range of spiciness...

Can anyone compare the heat level of Aji Limo Rojo vs. Aji Umba? I need a bulletproof, highly productive, robust C. chinense in the Caribbean Red—Congo Trinidad range of spiciness...

Gary, how much more/less spicy are chocolate habs? For me, the plants are prolific (for a chinense sp.) and VERY robust. They also produce in both the spring and fall.

Thanks, Eric...I like it. Their spiciness level is perfect. I've got fresh Congo Black seeds from Beth, and that will allow me to drop Douglah from my list, which I wasn't real excited about anyway.

Judging from the dried pods I have tried, I would estimate Limo Rojo to be 60,000 scovilles (maybe a little more?). I'm not sure if that answers any questions?

Back