• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Da Bomb - Beyond Insanity

Da Bomb - Beyond Insanity

In this city, Da Bomb is quite well known thanks to a local Mexican restaurant that carries all 3 varieties. When you ask the server for the hot sauces, they bring over a huge wicker basket full of different hot sauces. Many you can taste. Others, like Da Bomb, you eat one drop at a time at the dares & heckling from your friends.

Da Bomb series is unique in the fact of it's exact & odd scoville unit rating. 119,700 for Beyond Insanity. I wish more hot sauce makers would do the same. It's a good warning system, not to mention the question on most people's mind when eating something hot. The only downside I can think of about this series is that it's almost impossible to remember which is which. Beyond Insanity and Ground Zero look almost the same, but one is twice as hot.

The ingredients on this bottle says it has orange juice in it. I'm sorry, but with something this hot, I think maybe orange juice might not have been enough. Maybe some powdered Tang. Maybe even some orange extract!

The sauce is slightly chunky, and almost black in color. When taking the final teaspoon test on this sauce, I couldn't really taste that much. There was a hint of smoky flavor, probably from the chipotle peppers, followed by a small amount of chemical taste from the pepper extract (Which for some reason is NOT listed in the ingredients). Then 2 seconds later it's a moot point as the heat kicks in.

Due to the mild taste, it mixed well with soups and ketchup, packing a lot of heat without changing the flavor too much. Lunch was always Russian Roulette with this sauce. A few drops too few, and you'd want to add more. Too drops too many, and you were sweating all day!

One of the joys of finishing a sauce is getting to clean it up before setting it on the shelf. At the restaurants, I had always thought that Da Bomb hot sauces came in a smoked colored container. Turns out I've just never seen an empty container until now! I guess the sauces at the restaurant last a long, long time. Only a drop or two by the occasional brave soul. Here, it lasted a month of lunches.

Back