• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How many chillies?

Shooty* said:
Depends how big the plant is, really.

Have you pledged a certain number to a local shop or something? :P
HaHa I should of but I had no idea that there would be so many

imaguitargod said:
If you have alot of plants and good conditions, alot!
I only have the one cayenne and 3 of the same unknown but they are indoors. The cayenne is going to have more than a hundred and still counting....:lol:
DevilDuck said:
Well, I made a lot of sauce last year. I only had two habs, a serrano, and two jalapeƱos.

Yeah I am thinking chutney oils and sauces

chilliman64 said:
a typical healthy Cayenne should produce roughly 40-50 pods depending on growing conditions and length of season

So what your telling me is my plants not typical.:hell:

I've never counted the pods I've gotten off a cayenne, but 40 to 50 sounds too low. I'm sure it depends some on the variety, but most cayennes are real workhorses.

Pam said:
I've never counted the pods I've gotten off a cayenne, but 40 to 50 sounds too low. I'm sure it depends some on the variety, but most cayennes are real workhorses.

Cool good to know I thought I may have a real mutant on my hand, its already got around the 100 mark and its flowering and sprouting all over the place, however my friend has a sister plant and it only has about six or so pods. Also I took a yellowing double leaf of it the other day and now I have a double flower:shocked: Obvously its not normal but is there a reason this happens?

chilliman64 said:
a typical healthy Cayenne should produce roughly 40-50 pods depending on growing conditions and length of season

Sounds right. I grew one for the first time last year and got about that many for the growing season (about mid July until end September). It doesn't work out to be very many per week. Needless to say I'm growing a lot more of them this year.

It didn't say on the label last year what kind of Cayenne it was. It think it was a "Bonnie's" plant. This year I'm growing "Long Red". I hope that means I'll have the same amount of pods but they are bigger!

I've seen postings mentioning "Ring of Fire" and to be honest at first I thought people were talking about a symptom of what you experience the next day after having eaten hot peppers, if you know what I mean. :hell: I realized later it was a type of pepper.

For those of you who have tried various types of cayennes, what are your favorites and why?

RedThumb said:
Sounds right. I grew one for the first time last year and got about that many for the growing season (about mid July until end September). It doesn't work out to be very many per week. Needless to say I'm growing a lot more of them this year.

It didn't say on the label last year what kind of Cayenne it was. It think it was a "Bonnie's" plant. This year I'm growing "Long Red". I hope that means I'll have the same amount of pods but they are bigger!

I've seen postings mentioning "Ring of Fire" and to be honest at first I thought people were talking about a symptom of what you experience the next day after having eaten hot peppers, if you know what I mean. :mouthonfire: I realized later it was a type of pepper.

For those of you who have tried various types of cayennes, what are your favorites and why?

So where can I find out what kind of cayenne it is to see how many pods it should have? The fruit itself is about the 5" mark, some straight some curled, but they are still all green. I feel cos it is producing so many maybe I should give it a bigger pot is that wise when its fruiting:?: Also a couple of the older leaves are yellowing is this normal?

kas said:
So where can I find out what kind of cayenne it is to see how many pods it should have? The fruit itself is about the 5" mark, some straight some curled, but they are still all green. I feel cos it is producing so many maybe I should give it a bigger pot is that wise when its fruiting:?: Also a couple of the older leaves are yellowing is this normal?
Yellowing leaves is normanl. Check out the go to database, www.thechileman.org .

kas said:

Where did you get this cayenne?

I wouldn't repot it just now, it could go shocky and drop all its blooms.

Pam said:
Where did you get this cayenne?

I wouldn't repot it just now, it could go shocky and drop all its blooms.

Ok I won't, but how long does it produce fruit for will it go on until the days get shorter? Cos thats a long way off.
I just got it as a present last October, my mate planted it from seed but he doesnt know what it is. It just looks like an everyday pepper nothing remarkable except its mass production. All my plants are going berserk though maybe I just have a good environment for them.:) Gonna check out the chileman site to see if I can identify the beastie!

kas said:
Ok I won't, but how long does it produce fruit for will it go on until the days get shorter? Cos thats a long way off.

In my experience, cayenne's are pretty steady producers, but that doesn't mean some varieties don't have a heavy flush of peppers, pause briefly, then produce another flush. I would guess that either way, you'll be getting peppers all season.

I just got it as a present last October, my mate planted it from seed but he doesnt know what it is. It just looks like an everyday pepper nothing remarkable except its mass production. All my plants are going berserk though maybe I just have a good environment for them.:) Gonna check out the chileman site to see if I can identify the beastie!

You might give Cross Country's site a try, too. Go to www.chileplants.com and use the "All pod types" drop down menu under Search to select cayenne types. They've probably got 50 varieties, and they have good pictures and descriptions for most of their peppers.

Back